H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey Gang,

I want to install my own custom lights up on top of the roof-rack...problem is...I have no idea how I'm going to run power up there!

I wish they had some kind of sealed access box that we could open and it had a nice channel that ran down to under the dash....but that's literally a pipe-dream.

Has anyone ran electrical up there yet? My CB antenna just runs right out through the door-seal..but that's just temporary and NOT what I want to do on a permanent basis.

I really don't want to drill a hole in the roof either, and I've been told that to get into the roof wiring you have to drop the headliner...major monster of a job. Anyone got some ideas here?
Old 01-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey Gang,

I want to install my own custom lights up on top of the roof-rack...problem is...I have no idea how I'm going to run power up there!

I wish they had some kind of sealed access box that we could open and it had a nice channel that ran down to under the dash....but that's literally a pipe-dream.

Has anyone ran electrical up there yet? My CB antenna just runs right out through the door-seal..but that's just temporary and NOT what I want to do on a permanent basis.

I really don't want to drill a hole in the roof either, and I've been told that to get into the roof wiring you have to drop the headliner...major monster of a job. Anyone got some ideas here?
Old 01-12-2003, 04:27 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

Open your left roof marker light. There should be a hole running down to your A pillar. Pop out the A pillar cover to run wires.

They have to make it easy for those with the roof light option and rocket launchers.

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:35 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

WHOA.....Thanks David!!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Kühl Carbon is off the scale

Actually, depending on the thickness of the wire, you should be able to tuck it beween the seal and the sheet metal into the A Pillar trim without removing it.

Founding member of the "No Hummer Krew"
Old 01-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I have a few novice questions on this subject.

Where do you draw the power from - is there is standard place to tap into the power line?

Also, where do you install the switch? Does the H2 have standard spot or even a swith already installed for offroad lights?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:49 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey Zazz,

Power is where you find it. I plan to take my power off the lights relay AND use a switch...that way I cant' leave it on accidently and it can be left to run with regular lights.

As for a switch...the H2 does not come with a stock switch. I'll have to locate a switch where it would seem best to place it. Likely under the dash or just below the steering wheel off to the side.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:46 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

If anyone has the light bar factory installed, could they tell us how the wires are run?
Also, wiring size depends on how many amps you'll draw. [Steve knows this, he's a tech-geek too. ] If you plan to power some HID's that pull a lot of watts, you'll melt small gauge wires and possibly fire-test your new H2. Somebody has to test these things. . .

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 01-14-2003, 04:28 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I have grill lamps, no roof lamps, and no sunroof.

Factory grill lamps switch is on the driver side of the roof console vertical edge, 20.25" from the front of the console(windshield). The factory switch is 1"x1" square with a round switch inside. Not a good location for fast on or off action when a vehicle suddenly shows up on a twisty road, also not an easy installation location. I would think the best spot is near the steering wheel, i.e., near your hands.

Steve was correct when he thought about accidentally left the off-road lamps on, which I did many times, often have to walked back to the Hummer to turn them off, once after one hour. This will happen to you too. In fact, I no longer use these lamps mainly due to this reason.

I have changed head lamps and DRLs to white-light bulbs, consequently, the stock off-road lamps's traditional yellow light seem quite anitiquated. I have not been able to open the lamps to see what type of bulbs are inside so I can change them to white-light bulbs. Can someone please kindly give me some direction on how to open the off-road lamps? JCJ was asking about it too but got no answer.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:11 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Where does the dealer install the switch when they install the lights?

I was thinking it would be neat to install the switch for roof mounted lights up in the over head console and was giving that some thought myself, but haven't really looked yet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil....have you seen those fans where two little chains hang down and you repeatedly pull those chains to turn on/off the light and fan-speed. Well.....I was thinking that would be killer....hang it off the console and connect some fuzzy dice to them!

I know...the ideas and creativity just flow like a river. What can I say...it's a gift!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:18 PM

JCJ is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
Can someone please kindly give me some direction on how to open the off-road lamps? JCJ was asking about it too but got no answer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MAC: Found a little screw at 6 o'clock in each off raod lamp after taking off the protection ring. Turn screw loose while holding the glass because it will come off. Then you will find at the back of it a small bracket holding the bulb and fitting. I exchanged the bulbs (H3?) with blue white ones. Looks great. Pic in the making.