H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 05-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H3 diesel, revisited

Just read about the new 2.9 diesel in the caddy. The H3 alpha should have it. Hell, the H2 should have it!!!! Over 400ft/lb of torque. C'mon GM, pull something truly innovative, giterdone!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>?{ . N 29.47.89 W 95.25.71
Spuds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H3 diesel, revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
Just read about the new 2.9 diesel in the caddy. The H3 alpha should have it. Hell, the H2 should have it!!!! Over 400ft/lb of torque. C'mon GM, pull something truly innovative, giterdone!

I'd buy one right now if it was offered....
'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'04 VW Touareg VR-6
'07 Hummer H3 I-5 Lux/Offroad

Current:
'03 Ford Ranger Super Cab FX4
'09 Hummer H3 Alpha Offroad

Handle every situation like the dog !!
If you can't Eat it or Screw it; Piss on it and Walk Away.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Steve - SanJose

No thanks, don't need a stinky diesel in my H3.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd love a diesel in my H3. That would truly make it a mean truck for durablility offroad.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a new subject for this forum....
Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

yup.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

Don't know if i would want a diesel i mine, but with the prices of diesel being under 3$ by me it would sell like crazy

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Steve - SanJose

Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
This is a new subject for this forum....

Yeah, it is. The new 2.9 is exciting and would be a natural fit. Let's face it, to be a player in the industry today, the car makers need to MOVE on things like this, not wait to be clobbered by Toyota and the like. People don't have the attention span that GM seems to require of them by expecting to look at the 2013 models as if they'd give a krap. Watching GM move on their projects is like watching Iraq embrace democracy. It seems to me that GM gives enough to drip feed ya, not enough to excite.

To kick Toyota butt, they've only got to do one thing, make something that people can't stand to live without. Their method right now seems, to me, to put a little out there, stick their finger in the wind, and see if they had a good idea, change it a little (3.7 engine ring a bell?) and respond to that when all it takes is stepping outside of the crystal palace and embracing the projects from the enthusiasts point of view.

The 2.9 diesel in the H3 would be a trump over the other vehicles in it's class. It wouldn't be doggy, it'd get substantially better mileage and it'd be a natural hit off road.

But no, anyone that sticks their head up above the slovenly lemming masses gets pounded back down.

I ain't quittin'. This is a forum. We get to say things like "wouldn't that be great?". If GM had any sack, or brains, they'd take it into consideration. Maybe not run the company like I'd want to but seriously, looking at the current situation of the former big 3, maybe they SHOULD try doing something different!?

I'm dead sick tired of seeing auto shows with concept vehicles, watching skunk works vehicles like a true SS truck, diesel H3s, diesel H2s etc. It's tiresome. I'm getting so that I could care less what they're playing with. It gets old seeing something like the release info on the 2.9 diesel only to have them sit on it for five to ten years if they come out with it at all!

Just like the 5.3 H3 Alpha. It's almost as if they want it to fail as a sales figure. "No, it's only a rumor" then as more trickles out "It's only coming out with this trim package thought up by morons that know less than diddly and completely ignore what's more than evidently the exciting and appeals to our customers, they'll buy what WE think is right as determined by our whackjob study groups"

I'm pretty much just going to quit reading the net and mags and wait until I see it at the stealership on sale after the people like me have let the interest wane in their product until only a great deal like $5k off and 0% financing makes me enthusiastic again. That's one humdinger of a marketing strategy GM. Duhr?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, it is. The new 2.9 is exciting and would be a natural fit. Let's face it, to be a player in the industry today, the car makers need to MOVE on things like this, not wait to be clobbered by Toyota and the like. People don't have the attention span that GM seems to require of them by expecting to look at the 2013 models as if they'd give a krap. Watching GM move on their projects is like watching Iraq embrace democracy. It seems to me that GM gives enough to drip feed ya, not enough to excite.

To kick Toyota butt, they've only got to do one thing, make something that people can't stand to live without. Their method right now seems, to me, to put a little out there, stick their finger in the wind, and see if they had a good idea, change it a little (3.7 engine ring a bell?) and respond to that when all it takes is stepping outside of the crystal palace and embracing the projects from the enthusiasts point of view.

The 2.9 diesel in the H3 would be a trump over the other vehicles in it's class. It wouldn't be doggy, it'd get substantially better mileage and it'd be a natural hit off road.

But no, anyone that sticks their head up above the slovenly lemming masses gets pounded back down.

I ain't quittin'. This is a forum. We get to say things like "wouldn't that be great?". If GM had any sack, or brains, they'd take it into consideration. Maybe not run the company like I'd want to but seriously, looking at the current situation of the former big 3, maybe they SHOULD try doing something different!?

I'm dead sick tired of seeing auto shows with concept vehicles, watching skunk works vehicles like a true SS truck, diesel H3s, diesel H2s etc. It's tiresome. I'm getting so that I could care less what they're playing with. It gets old seeing something like the release info on the 2.9 diesel only to have them sit on it for five to ten years if they come out with it at all!

Just like the 5.3 H3 Alpha. It's almost as if they want it to fail as a sales figure. "No, it's only a rumor" then as more trickles out "It's only coming out with this trim package thought up by morons that know less than diddly and completely ignore what's more than evidently the exciting and appeals to our customers, they'll buy what WE think is right as determined by our whackjob study groups"

I'm pretty much just going to quit reading the net and mags and wait until I see it at the stealership on sale after the people like me have let the interest wane in their product until only a great deal like $5k off and 0% financing makes me enthusiastic again. That's one humdinger of a marketing strategy GM. Duhr?

I agree with most of what you wrote. But the bold part, you gotta remember that most hummer owners arent on this forum. They dont buy the trucks for their offroad abilities. They buy them to blind people with their bling at the mall. I figure that market is much larget than the market we are in, and gm wants numbers not admirers. just my opinion.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Hummer Expert

I agree, their stupid ads more than prove that. One can dream.

The Hummer story backs you up. H2s would sell like Chinese finger puzzles at a leper colony were it not for the bogus tax break. (sorry folks, it's true, if I've seen one H2 with a nail solon ad or real estate ad on the window, I've seen a thousand) Hummer somehow got away from what I thought (yeah, sometimes I'm as shallow as a parking lot puddle) Hummer stood for because of that market. My vision of what Hummer should be is tough, "Like Nothing Else", a tougher, stouter version of what everyone else sells. It would appear that you're %100 percent correct. Bling this, bling that, screw the offroad enthusiast. C'mon, don't they make Cadillacs for a reason?

The aftermarket companies seem to more than support your argument. The FJ and new four door Heep has been out a year and the aftermarket's allllll over supporting those guys. It was as if we had to go out and beg for people to make so much as a freakin' bumper for the H3.

I hate to be doggin' on the picture here, but it's the truth and it's hard to understand.

H3 is the salvation of the Hummer line with the offroad enthusiast being a good hard central core and despite their rhetoric by the marketing folks, I'd be hard pressed to believe it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

as if this has not been brought up before.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

"Yeah, it is. The new 2.9 is exciting and would be a natural fit."
This is NOT a new subject for this forum...
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...light=cadillac

In fact, I would bet you have a message in this thread. I didn't check, but if it is a thread that demeans GM or Hummer, you are usually in the thick of the discussion. What I can't understand is why don't you just go purchase a Toyota.

Just because a very small number of Elcova members want a H3 with a diesel, does not mean that it would sell to the General Public. Can't you understand that this forum, as good as it is, is only a VERY SMALL minority of H3 owners?

This is an open forum, and you can say what you want, but before long, people start getting tired of hearing what you have to say about the same damn subject (berating GM), and do what I'm going to do...block you.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
"Yeah, it is. The new 2.9 is exciting and would be a natural fit."
This is NOT a new subject for this forum...
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...light=cadillac

In fact, I would bet you have a message in this thread. I didn't check, but if it is a thread that demeans GM or Hummer, you are usually in the thick of the discussion. What I can't understand is why don't you just go purchase a Toyota.

Just because a very small number of Elcova members want a H3 with a diesel, does not mean that it would sell to the General Public. Can't you understand that this forum, as good as it is, is only a VERY SMALL minority of H3 owners?

This is an open forum, and you can say what you want, but before long, people start getting tired of hearing what you have to say about the same damn subject (berating GM), and do what I'm going to do...block you.

C'mon fstop, you're made of stouter stuff than that.

Yeah, you're right, it's not a new topic. I guess if people only discussed a topic once, the forum would have about five threads and that'd be it.

Care to discuss the points I brought up instead of attacking the messenger?

Yeah, I'm picking on the General. It's called constructive criticism. If you work for GM, you're welcome. GM has gotten approximately $200k of my money in the past fifteen years, I'm just a little entitled to this minor transgression. They're my favorite car company. If all people did was to sit around and wait for the eagle to poop what the kids thought up, we'd all be driving four cylinder Aztecs eh? I've said the great things about the H3, you seem to not want to make a big deal about that, or want to block any repeat statements about that.

It doesn't seem like a small number of people to me that want a powerful AND economical engine choice. It seems to me that just because you're not enthusiastic on that line of thought, that you want to shut that discussion down, and even censor it if you could.

All the crazy, yet fun stuff that goes on around here and an occasional discussion (two months ago) about desiring an engine that they could pop in tomorrow is intolerable? Two months ago when that thread was posted might as well be two YEARS to ME. The picture has changed drastically. Regular unleaded is $3.34 a gallon here, diesel is $2.87. That's almost half a buck a gallon, ten dollars a freakin' tank. That and that 2.9 would get better mileage with the proper transmission. Buddy, if that's not worth discussion, I don't know what the hell is!

You're input has been deemed valuable and important by everyone here, including me. Seems like that's a check valve situation.

Last edited by Huck BB62 : 05-18-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Quote:
I agree, their stupid ads more than prove that. One can dream.

The Hummer story backs you up. H2s would sell like Chinese finger puzzles at a leper colony were it not for the bogus tax break. (sorry folks, it's true, if I've seen one H2 with a nail solon ad or real estate ad on the window, I've seen a thousand) Hummer somehow got away from what I thought (yeah, sometimes I'm as shallow as a parking lot puddle) Hummer stood for because of that market. My vision of what Hummer should be is tough, "Like Nothing Else", a tougher, stouter version of what everyone else sells. It would appear that you're %100 percent correct. Bling this, bling that, screw the offroad enthusiast. C'mon, don't they make Cadillacs for a reason?

The aftermarket companies seem to more than support your argument. The FJ and new four door Heep has been out a year and the aftermarket's allllll over supporting those guys. It was as if we had to go out and beg for people to make so much as a freakin' bumper for the H3.

I hate to be doggin' on the picture here, but it's the truth and it's hard to understand.

H3 is the salvation of the Hummer line with the offroad enthusiast being a good hard central core and despite their rhetoric by the marketing folks, I'd be hard pressed to believe it.

The problem is that if GM only built and marketed the H3 at the hard-core off-road crowd, then there wouldn't be an H3 anymore. There is no way they would sell enough of them to justify continuing to build it. I for one, don't care for the chrome, but I am glad that it is an option as well as the H3X because it keeps the H3 selling to a much, much larger market. That means that they can continue to build it and improve it every year. The Alpha is a more capable off-road vehicle than previous models which tells me that GM is heading in the right direction. So what if it has chrome. I would only be concerned if GM started replacing the off-road capabilities with bling. That's not the case though. I don't think that GM is getting away from the Hummer image at all. The fact that they chose to market it to a much larger audience so they can afford to continue to build it and improve it is just a good business decision.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

Matt19 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
I agree with most of what you wrote. But the bold part, you gotta remember that most hummer owners arent on this forum. They dont buy the trucks for their offroad abilities. They buy them to blind people with their bling at the mall. I figure that market is much larget than the market we are in, and gm wants numbers not admirers. just my opinion.

right here!
Mines all about the blingidy bling bling.
My useless viewpoint on this matter is that if i wanted to take a vehicle off-roading, i wouldn?t want the price tag to be 40k, and I think that?s a majority viewpoint.
The FJ is in the 20k range, and the jeeps can be found for less than that. A lot of you guys don?t want to believe this but ur H3s are luxury vehicles, maybe not in your eyes but in most owners and the general public they are. And unless your $hitting quarters (i know im not), your not going to want to damage ur ride.
But most of you guys (i realized from reading) worked hard for your h3s and therefore want to play are with it too, and that?s a nice mentality but we cant all share that type of thinking.

My friend drives a corvette, he wont dare race it. My other friend drives a Celica...fly?s with it everywhere he goes. My girlfriend drove a Jetta, and treated it like A$$, now she drives and Audi TT, and just roles.
That?s what I think is the majority view...But then again I?m only 20yrs old junior at Emory, what the hell do i know.
2007 Black H3, Adventure Package, Chrome Appearance, Chrome Cross Bars, Moonroof, Tow Package, Chrome Tubular Assist Steps. "My golly, this is by far the best looking 2007 H3 you will ever never witness"

My H3 is gods gift to man.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

listen son, after you grow up and pay taxes on over 100k a year you EARNED you won't fully understand but it's Kool and The Gang bling or not. I road mine becase i like it and it is my hobby. I could have kept a pick-up if I just wanted a ride. Gas engine is fine, Diesel is overrated.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Steve - SanJose

Been there done that.

GM is not a company that can focus on little side niches. They need to get their main house in order quickly. And I reflect a more typical H3 buyer who prefers good gasoline engines.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>?{ . N 29.47.89 W 95.25.71
Spuds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
No thanks, don't need a stinky diesel in my H3.

"I love the smell of diesel in the morning."

I have an older VW Passat TDI with "only" 135K. I am a big diesel proponent especially since we are going to ultra low sulpher diesel regs.

Diesels make outstanding highway engines, and at crawl speeds are like driving tractors. Great for offroading!
'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'04 VW Touareg VR-6
'07 Hummer H3 I-5 Lux/Offroad

Current:
'03 Ford Ranger Super Cab FX4
'09 Hummer H3 Alpha Offroad

Handle every situation like the dog !!
If you can't Eat it or Screw it; Piss on it and Walk Away.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you year that? Your mom said get the H3 back before dinner........

Last edited by usetosellhummer : 05-21-2007 at 07:34 PM.