H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-23-2002, 01:53 PM

TJ is off the scale

Not too long after getting my H2, the side mirrors stopped retracting/extending properly. I took it into the dealer and they "performed mirror re-timing sequence and cycled mirrors to reset timing". Then yesterday, when trying to retract the mirrors, the driver's side mirror started, went about 1/4 the way, but then stopped (passenger side mirror still working okay). It will go all the way back out, but when trying to retract won't go any further than about 1/4.

Does anyone know if this "re-timing sequence" can be done by me or does this sound like another trip back to the dealer?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:53 PM

TJ is off the scale

Not too long after getting my H2, the side mirrors stopped retracting/extending properly. I took it into the dealer and they "performed mirror re-timing sequence and cycled mirrors to reset timing". Then yesterday, when trying to retract the mirrors, the driver's side mirror started, went about 1/4 the way, but then stopped (passenger side mirror still working okay). It will go all the way back out, but when trying to retract won't go any further than about 1/4.

Does anyone know if this "re-timing sequence" can be done by me or does this sound like another trip back to the dealer?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:11 PM

SJ is off the scale

TJ:

My mirrors won't retract all the way, but this only happens when the temperature falls below about 20 where I live. I bring the mirrors in when I scurry down the narrow tree-lined path to our home, then the H2 gets parked outside some nights and the mirrors freeze. I simply help them along manually - no big deal.

Are you in cold weather or is this problem constant?
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-23-2002, 02:15 PM

TJ is off the scale

SJ:

The first time it happened (with both mirrors), it was about 60-70 degrees.

This last time it was maybe about 25-30 degrees and the passenger mirror worked fine, but not the driver's mirror. If the cold weather was to blame, wouldn't they both have done the same?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:21 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

No problem with my hummer's "ears" retracting. we call them ears cause that is what they remind me of.

But anyway, sometimes the curb assistance tilt will not resume to normal position when returning to "D" in the transmission.

I just noticed this today. But we were in 20 degree weather over the weekend but have returned to 60 degree weather this week.

Will keep an eye on it and let the guys know at the dealership when I get my oil changed on Friday.

~amy

~amy
Old 12-23-2002, 02:29 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Had same problem with curb-assistence-tilt not going back to original position. I cancelled that, after follwing TonkaH2's suggestion to get wide angle mirrors and fix'm to lower outer side of mirror. Works very well!
No problems with extending and retracting of mirrors (AKA flapping of ears).
Too bad the flapping goes to slow.
Could have been a nice salute between H2 owners!
Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:33 PM

SJ is off the scale

TJ:

Sixty to Seventy degrees is warm as Hades from where I sit. Your dealer should be able to remedy this problem.

Let us know what the results are.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-23-2002, 04:14 PM

TS is off the scale

My passenger side mirror stopped retracting, weather in the bay area hasnt been that cold. I think this may be one of those fisrt model issues. Not a big deal, but I'll take it in when I have a list of stuff to do.

JCJ, I had a similar problem with the curb assist, it probalby happened when I let someone drive who didnt know about the curb assist and that person changed the setting when reverisnt. To reset it, put the H2 in reverse, set the mirror (or mirrors) to where you want it, then drive as usual, the curb assit will work next time.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:17 PM

H2Norcal is off the scale

There is a tech bulletin on the retracting mirrors. It may not be the problem, but on the earlier shipments of H2's the transport companies did not know the mirrors were to be electronically un-retracted and they were pulling them away from the window to unfold them.

Although the tech bulletin says they can perform the reset sequence to get the gear motor and sensors back in-sync and have the mirrors lock properly, could there be a larger issue resulting when you force the stepper motor and possibly damaging the mechanism?.

Hope it helps.

Info - Cycling Power Folding Exterior Mirror to Remain in Locked Position After Transport

Document ID # 1181384
2003 HUMMER H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info - Cycling Power Folding Exterior Mirror to Remain in Locked Position After Transport #02-08-64-022
Cycling Power Folding Exterior Mirror to Remain in Locked Position After Transport
2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban

2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

with Power Folding Exterior Mirror (RPO DL3)

2003 HUMMER H2 -- with Power Folding Exterior Mirror (RPO DL7)

Dealers should be aware that the power folding mirrors on the above vehicles may not be set in the full locked position due to movement during transport. It will be necessary for the dealer to cycle the power mirror switch on the driver's side door panel in order to fully implement the detent feature of these mirrors (the mirror housing must be fully retracted inboard and then extended to its outboard position to lock the mirror in place).

Some dealers and transport companies have manually placed these mirrors in the outward position, assuming they were fixed in place. If this is done, the mirrors could fold inward when the vehicle is at highway speeds. DO NOT replace these mirrors. You need only to cycle the power mirrors in and out by using the power mirror switch.

[This message was edited by H2Norcal on December 23, 2002 at 10:40 AM.]
Old 12-23-2002, 04:33 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

thanks

~amy
Old 12-23-2002, 05:48 PM

TJ is off the scale

Thanks for the info N2Norcal - The passenger mirror is still working fine--extends and retracts normally, but not the driver's mirror.

I just had this same problem fixed about a month or so ago (except it was both mirrors back then), so it sounds like this is something that I'll need to have the dealer look at. It needs to go back into the shop again anyway, so I'll just have them look into it then.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

My right "ear" quit auto-folding. The dealer replaced the whole unit.

There is nothing that says manual folding is a "no-no", is there?

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 12-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

The mirrors have to be able to manually fold. They are designed so that IF you hit a tree or object while offroading...the mirror can simply move inwards. If they were rigid, they'd break-off of get damaged.

Just recently while offroading I actually had a mirror pushed in by a bush that I got too close to. It was cool: instead of opening the window or getting out of the H2...I just clicked the windows closed and then opened them...viola'..kept on going! It's like living in outter space!

The mirrors are set in motorized tracks. The mirror can jump or 'pop' out of its track in the case of the mirror getting struck by something. You must them get your mirrors back in their tracks. Just direct them closed, then direct them to open...the junit should just click back in place and all is well. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 09:52 PM

TJ is off the scale

Thanks Steve R...Is that how our mirrors are supposed to work? I only wish that the ones on my H2 did [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] This is the 'second go-round' on the mirrors for us (the driver's side at least, but I'm waiting for the passenger side mirror to malfunction again any time now too). This is not the only thing I've had on a 'second go-round', and now I've got at least a couple that are starting on their THIRD go-round, and I'm beginning to wonder whose had my H2 longer--me or the shop [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 10:50 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I have had NO problem with my mirrors.
TJ, what other problems you have experienced, once, twice or third repair attempts?
Old 12-24-2002, 12:07 PM

x-mst.com is off the scale

I have had no problems (yet) with retracting mirrors; however, my passanger side mirror is now stuck in curb assist down mode.

I have tried Drive-Reverse-Drive-Reverse, as well as retract in-out-in-out to try to unstick it to no avail. I have not tried just using the joypad to move them around.

Do y'all think that will work or should I be calling the dealership today. (I would try moving them around right now, but it's pouring here right now)
Old 12-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Most of the mirror failures are do to memory options.
To reset the mirrors put the mirrors in closed posistion (folded in). Atempt to lift or raise the mirror that is in Curb assist position. If it does not raise. With the key in the acessory posistion only (enginge not on) - go through and unselect curb assist if it is set in your preferences. Now start engine, unfold or open mirrors and see if they dont cycle back to open - if not now with the engine running put the car in the drive posostion and see if they cycle up to standard posistion. If they do push your "set preferences button - DRIVER 1 or 2 depending. Then turn engine off and on twice.
If none of this works manually press on the top of the mirror while someone depresses the mirror up button on the appropriate side. DO this with the key on but engine not running. Then cycle enginge off and on twice. If this fails see the dealer.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:17 PM

x-mst.com is off the scale

Thanks for the advice. I printed it out and went to the car to try. I feel silly because it never occured to me to just use the joypad to move the mirror. I did so, and then test curb assist in D-R-D and it works fine now.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:02 PM

TJ is off the scale

MAC - key fobs, brakes, shocks, side mirrors, HVAC, roof/headliner rattle, dash rattle, radio/speakers, windshield wipers, power steering.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

TJ, when you get a chance, tell us more. That is what we are here for, we share your pain, and we learn from each others.