H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 05-31-2005, 03:20 PM

package deal is off the scale

i am wanting to buy a winch for my h1. wanted to know if anyone has had anyexperience with this. i would like one that i can switch from front to back via a receiver hitch. where can i order one for the best price and what size do i need. thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-31-2005, 03:20 PM

package deal is off the scale

i am wanting to buy a winch for my h1. wanted to know if anyone has had anyexperience with this. i would like one that i can switch from front to back via a receiver hitch. where can i order one for the best price and what size do i need. thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Check out http://www.bluehummer.com If he doesn't have it, he might be able to help you out anyway.

Also check out http://www.humvee.net/hid/acc/index.html at the bottom of the page it has some info which might help.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by package deal:
i am wanting to buy a winch for my h1. wanted to know if anyone has had anyexperience with this. i would like one that i can switch from front to back via a receiver hitch. where can i order one for the best price and what size do i need. thanks in advance for your help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd look at any WARN winch. How much do you think you'll be switching from front to back? Where I used to work we had an H2 that we had to take on and off if we wanted to use it. Do-able with one person, but easier with two. Plus, the connections tend to get muddied up when you switch back and forth. We had 4 H1s and all had front winches. I'd try just getting the factory-style-front winch, unless you really needed to switch it to the back.

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 05-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

The general rule of thumb in off-roading is to employ a winch with capacity 1 1/2 to two times your vehicle weight. Despite needing to overcome friction in many situations, this capacity, along with a mechanical advantage which can be created using a snatchblock, should get you (or anyone else) out of trouble most of the time.

That being said, I have never seen a winch & cradle setup with a capacity over 9,000 lbs. Unless the winch was hydraulic, it would probably be prohibitively heavy. If memory serves, the H1 with gear weighs in at around 8,000 lbs, GVWR. So you would want a winch with at least a 12,000 lb. capacity. Such a cradle setup may exist somewhere, but I have never seen it.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

You can do a MileMarker E12000 with the winch mounting receiver plate.

I've been waiting for someone else to do it. Now someone has and wrote something on it.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...inch/index.asp
Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

GeneseeMtn is off the scale

I just bought that same winch (MM E12,000) for My H1. Check http://www.angryiron.com, they had the best price.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Hummer Authority

I don't remember--who does AM General use for the H1 winch--Milemarker? or Warn...

Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummer Guy:
I don't remember--who does AM General use for the H1 winch--Milemarker? or Warn... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One would think you should know that being a salesperson and especially with that monicker you gave yourself.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Hummer Expert

Stock winch is the Warn 12000. It's claim to fame is that it degrades from the approach angle.

The winch works fine, however.

AMG will not warranty any parts that have a Hydraulic MileMarker attached. They have no issues with the E12000, as far as I have heard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummer Guy:
I don't remember--who does AM General use for the H1 winch--Milemarker? or Warn... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

GeneseeMtn is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stock winch is the Warn 12000. It's claim to fame is that it degrades from the approach angle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve - I even modified my MileMarker E12k fairlead from the factory configuration to have more approach angle. As is from the factory, it hangs down about 2" below the winch bumper.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
I don't remember--who does AM General use for the H1 winch--Milemarker? or Warn... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One would think you should know that being a salesperson and especially with that monicker you gave yourself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just couldn't remember since we used both brands at my last academy. We had to replace several remotes for our MM, and one had to be completely replaced. Unfortunately there isn't much winching done in the showroom -- but thanks for the brush-up...I'm sure there's lots of things I could learn from everybody here.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

OK, I'll display my ignorance publicly with this question...

1. Which winch (for the H1) do you feel is the best "bang for the buck" so to speak.

2. Which set up will detract the least from the approach angle?

3. I don't get to wheel very often because I can't take too much time away from the business right now, (and for that matter, my winching experience was with an F250 pulling people out of ditches for spare change in high school in Oregon to and from skiing).

4. I've read back through all the threads here and on the "other" hummer website. I've pretty much decided I'd prefer to go w/ an electric rather than a hydraulic setup.

K
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Hummer Expert

Hehe...you've hit on one of the more debated questions out there.

Bang for the buck - Many people agree that the MileMarker E12000 winch gives one of the best bangs for the buck. It's 12000lb capacity and it's light weight makes it a very good choice.

Approach angle - There's two mounting methods that won't detract from the angle (much).

1) The stock MileMarker HMMWV/H1 mounting kit. This will keep nearly all of the approach angle.
2) Make a custom front bumper receiver mount. With front bumpers going for 50 bucks on EBay, you can make your own receiver mount for pretty cheap...far less than the stock Milemarker variant.

Now, I can say one thing about electric. You better have a really good method of disabling the solenoid box. There has been reports (in the general 4x4 world, Hummers included) of vandalism where someone freespools the winch line out, attaches it to something immovable, (rear bumper comes to mind), and shorts out the solenoid box. This then activates the winch, and then it literally crunches anything in the cable path.

Hence my logic of using a removeable carrier type of winch.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hence my logic of using a removeable carrier type of winch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like "Package Deal" at the first of this string was asking?
Can a mount like you suggested to him not detract from approach angle?

Electric still seems like the best way, right?

I'm humbled here everytime I ask a question...

Thanks,
K
Old 06-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

"Warning: To prevent serious injury: Do not use winches to move people:..." ---warning on the Mile Marker website...

...some one had to have gone there ....

K
Old 06-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Hummer Expert

Well, that's the glory of running a removable winch. It won't detract from the approach angle when it's off.

Dave Breggin's got a design (that I'm getting ready to copy) of a receiver mounted winch. I've got a spare bumper all ready to weld and use as a test mule.

For a visual example:
http://www.humvee.net/hall/breg2.html

-Steve
Old 06-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

So, did he weld a reciever onto the front of his truck to come out the middle hole?

K
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Hummer Expert

Sort of. There's a subframe behind it that helps reinforce and takes the majority of the load.

My project (once I find an appropriate Class III receiver to be the sacrificial lamb) will be similar.

Mine will be a bit different than Dave's, where I'll end up covering all 3 holes, and welding the receiver to the entire bumper, with mounting holes to the existing frame points, and gussets to help reinforce the bumper and the receiver.

-Steve
Old 06-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

Let me know how it goes... I have a guy here in town that will do stuff like that... (I'm not smart enough, I start fires and **** when I start welding....)

K