H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2Singh is off the scale

hey Jesse, nice job - seems like you answered everything on my wish list, except a removable sub--woofer under the 2nd row seat. I have been looking into all that you did and will start my project mid jan. Thanks again for making it easy for many of us to get this project going.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

JetEyeNite is off the scale

Jesse,
Could you please tell me how you wired the video from the camera to the LCD?
thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 03:10 AM

14U2NV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jesse:

Yes - that is the latest Ipod Video 60GB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesse,

I have the same iPod (Black 60Gig Video) and the same Access interface and when I skip from one song to the next, it skips a song then plays the next. For example, if I'm on song 10 in a playlist and hit seek to go to the next song (song 11), it plays about 2 seconds of song 11 and then goes to song 12.

Does yours do anything like this?

BTW, I'm also using my iPod for video and slideshows on the nav screen. All you need is one of the audio/video out cables for the iPod...Works real nice...
Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 AM

Jesse is off the scale

Jesse,

I have the same iPod (Black 60Gig Video) and the same Access interface and when I skip from one song to the next, it skips a song then plays the next. For example, if I'm on song 10 in a playlist and hit seek to go to the next song (song 11), it plays about 2 seconds of song 11 and then goes to song 12.

Does yours do anything like this?

BTW, I'm also using my iPod for video and slideshows on the nav screen. All you need is one of the audio/video out cables for the iPod...Works real nice...[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I have not totally tested my Ipod with my truck just yet. This is something I will figure out and get back to you on. I did buy the video cable on the ipod and that is a cool feature.

Have you found a way to handle how the preset #6 changes all the time? Also - how exactly does pressing and holding preset 1 and 2 work?

Any other tips and tidbits you might have would be helpful.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:46 AM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:
Jesse,
Could you please tell me how you wired the video from the camera to the LCD?
thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the PAC-Audio VCI-GM2. It is an adapter that adds video to the navigation screen. You will have to take apart the actual head unit and install some ribbon cables that they provide you. The instructions are very clear and the install is very easy. I bought my adapter from http://www.jpcustoms.com. If you buy one make sure you talk to Jason - he was a HUGE help for me. He can also help you locate the reverse wire you will need if you actually install the camera.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jesse,
I meant to ask how did you connect the wires for the camera to the LCD screen. It looks like you connected the camera power from your trailer connector but how did you manage to add the switch to turn it on?
What about the video output from the camera to the LCD? Did you have to drill anything? Where is the entry point from the camera video cable to the inside?
thanks in advance...
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:
Jesse,
I meant to ask how did you connect the wires for the camera to the LCD screen. It looks like you connected the camera power from your trailer connector but how did you manage to add the switch to turn it on?
What about the video output from the camera to the LCD? Did you have to drill anything? Where is the entry point from the camera video cable to the inside?
thanks in advance... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Running the video cable was easy. If you look at your rear tail light - the wires that power it come from the outside. There is a rubber grommet that can you can easily cut into to feed the video wire through. I just cut the grommet – ran the wire then used silicone around it to insure it still had a tight seal. From the tail-light area there is a small hole that leads to the inside of the cargo cabin. This is behind all the plastic. I then just ran the wire all along the side and hide it under the door jams (or whatever you want to call them). They easily pull up and you can feed the wire through. I brought the wire all the way up to the front and rand it up behind the glove compartment around to the center console. It was very easy- whole job of running the wires took no more than 20 minutes. Took me this long because I did not have a knife sharp enough to cut through the grommet.

As for the video switch – the PAC-Audio unit has one lead that is connected to the reverse line in your truck. Whenever the truck is in reverse the camera comes on. This is the Video2 input on the PAC piece. For the Video1 – they include a switch. Any time you turn the switch on whatever is coming into Video1 will be displayed on the screen. Since I had 3 sources – I wired all 3 sources into one 3 way switch (Camera, DVD, AUX3 on my rear entertainment system). I then used the PAC-Audio switch (using a nicer looking one switch) to turn on or off the source for the screen.

I hope I am not confusing you – but here is how it works.
1. When in reverse the rear camera always comes on.
2. While in use – I can switch the NAV screen from factory to video in with one switch.
3. With another switch I can flip from 3 different video sources.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM

14U2NV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jesse:

Have you found a way to handle how the preset #6 changes all the time? Also - how exactly does pressing and holding preset 1 and 2 work?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have XM, so #6 is a non issue. If you press and hold #2 this turns the random function on/off. I think holding #1 changes from playlists to the whole hard drive. I'll have to check it out later.

John
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jesse..
Now, that makes sense. Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

jesse i like the way your back up camera looks! how do you like the view you get from the hitch? can you see enough or would placing it higher work better?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:47 AM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocketw19:
jesse i like the way your back up camera looks! how do you like the view you get from the hitch? can you see enough or would placing it higher work better? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I considered 3 locations.

1. Up on top the H2Cam - this would replace the center light up on top. I decided against this because my spare tire would block the most important part of the view - what is right behind me.

2. A Frame cam - that would go on my license plate. I did not go with this because the light that shines down on the plate at night would interfere with the view. I considered on that went on the lower part of the plate - but I did not find any good quality cameras and I did not know how it would be theft proof. It is easy to remove that whole license plate bracket.

3. Hitch Cam - I went with this option because - it looks great. The quality of the camera is awesome. The camera can easily be removed. The draw back is that at this lower perspective it is hard to judge the distance of stuff - but at least you can see if anything is there. Also I guess when it comes to hook up a trailer - I will have to pull it out. I don't have a boat and it has been years since I had to tow anything. So for me the hitch cam was the best solution
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

Ipod Hookup - Notice the IPOD even shows the Axxess Logo - so you know it is hooked up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I correct that this is inside your Center Console? If yes...Very Nice! Where did you get the unit the DVD player and Switches are mounted in? Thanks for Sharing
Old 12-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sportsdude:
Jesse, nicely done! I checked the link you had provided for the GM Pac. The photo of the unit illustrates only one video input. Is the other input on the opposite end of the unit? I'm also in the market for a camera but not sure which would be best for H2 with rear tire carrier. The H2CAM that mounts in the middle of the rear marker light is the one I'm steering toward at present. What's your thoughts on this unit? Thank you, Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the latest Pac-Audio VCI-GM2 should have 2 inputs. One for a camera and the other for any other video source.

I almost went with the H2CAM but decided against it for these reasons.
1. I have my spare tire on the rear - and it would block the view.
2. I like the look of all the lights - so I did not want to lose any.
3. I don't think that camera looks that "hidden" to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Jesse!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

SoonerBoarder is off the scale

Nice. Here's a little trick with that iPod adapter. Say you want to listen to one album or one artist (genre, etc) andyou don't have them in a playlist. You can't, right? What you do is unplug the ipod and navigate to whatever you want to play, just like you were listening to the ipod with headphones. Let the song start playing for a few seconds and then plug it in. It will stop for a second or two and then start playing through the stereo. From there, you can use the steering wheel controls, etc and everything is cool. Pushing an on screen button will choose a playlist.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:39 PM

captainmike is off the scale

Jesse,
very nice set up. I wanted to try to do something similar. I want to add the back up camera, I want to watch rear DVD on front touch screen and rather than connect the ipod i wanted to connect audio from my IPAQ ( MP3 player) via 3.5mm plug.
I was trying to figure out if the RSE also gives you video from the rear DVD. IE on the head unit you swith the cd changer and both DVD and sound play on touchscreen. Or does it come from the second video input from the VCI-GM2?
Another question, you say that you have 3 video inputs on the 3 way switch in the console. Is that some other component? or is that switch connected between rear dvd, camera, and aux3 video? Where did aux3 video come from?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Elcova Newbie

kurtz64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Factory Touch Screen Navigation w/ Rear Entertianmen - finally modified.

Very good information. Thank you!!