H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

tony d is an unknown quantity at this point

are the rear end problems happening with the automatic or manual transmissions ?do they both use the same rear end ?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

tony d is an unknown quantity at this point

are the rear end problems happening with the automatic or manual transmissions ?do they both use the same rear end ?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

tony d, maybe the question should be, "do they have off-road suspension packages or are they standard."
Old 08-28-2005, 12:18 AM

Green H3 is off the scale

My H3 is an automatic and no off road package
Old 08-28-2005, 12:49 AM

skeeter is off the scale

I just got my H3 out of the shop, after 18 days. They had to order an replacement rear end from the manufacture. Mine is an automatic adventure package. I must say that Sewell's service dept. is hands down the best, and they prove it time, and time again. They kept me in a loaner of course, but they ask what they could do for me since it took so long to get my H3 out. I said cut me a deal on some roof marker lights. They said we just give you the roof marker lights at no charge, as soon as they get the new fix, and release them again. Wow! Sewell is first class from top to the bottom. Oh yea, they told me what caused it. They said grit from the manufacture's machine shop that was'nt cleaned out properly, and that has made grooves in the bearings.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:59 AM

richk is off the scale

Mine is an automatic with adventure package.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:23 AM

Vegas-H3 is off the scale

Mine is Automatic w/ a standard suspension package.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe there are 2 rear ends and that is the 2 different ratios. Doesn't make any difference if you have the offroad suspension, all the same.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Hummer Guru

H3,
The reason I asked if it was off-road suspension versus non-off-road suspension is that the gear sets are different between the two packages. The actual rear end housing might be identical, but if the gear ratios are different, they are manufactured on different machines.
If one line is not cutting the gears correctly, and causes premature wear, which in-turn causes pieces of metal to float in the axle; tearing up the gears, then it might show as different packages.

Evidently, from information here, it appears to be about 50/50 between off-road and non-off-road suspension packages. Therefore it sounds like one of the common gears, shafts or splines in the rear end is causing the problem.

You guys in the plant may have had a quality spill from a supplier, and not even known, since this type of problem does not show up until the vehicle has some miles. Hopefully, the supplier caught the problem early and corrected the problem.

However, in my opinion (which counts for nothing), if there are that many failures with this small of a population of owners, then this would worry me. Let's face it, there are a heck of a lot more owners of H3s out there that never surf this site, then there are those who do surf this site.

Have to admit, I keep listening to my rear end (the Hummer's rear end) while driving. So far, the vehicle has been great. Well, except for a door seal I had to fit back onto the push pin.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

No, onlt 2 different rearends. 4.56 and 4.11. Off road package only adds different shocks but includes the 4.56 rear, same as can be ordered with any other packages, and the the 33" tires.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

Waiting on my Black H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last week it was raining pretty heavy so I switched my H3 to 50/50 to see if how it handled in 6-8" puddles crusing through Clearwater on my way to Blockbuster to switch DVD's. I pulled up front of the store parked and ran inside. When I came out and hopped into my H3, I started up the engine, looked out the mirrors and started backing up slowly in the parking lot. After only moving about 3' it felt like I was hitting something with the back tires. A tree, a person? Frantic, I put it in park and jumped out and ran to the back of my H3. Nothing. HUH?? I hopped back in the drivers seat and again tried to backup with no luck. Of course I could not move forward enough to get out of the parking lot, I was staring at the Blockbuster plate glass window. I put it back into park and started looking at the dash. I noticed I was in 50/50. Could this have caused the problem. Can you backup in 50/50?? I switched back to 60/40 and turned off the engine. I waited a minute or so wondering what to do. Then I started up the engine again and pulled forward the 3' I had backed up. Then put it back in reverse and was able to backup and drive out of the parking lot. What's up with backing up?? Since this happened it seems like I am not coasting (with foot off of the gas) like I used to. Almost like my brakes are partially engaged. Any suggestions?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

The problem with the rear ends is simple and it could be in any vehicle with any optiions. The problem is this, the supplier that supplies the axles for GM had a batch of them go out that did not have the lapping compound cleaned off the gears. This compound is gritty, and after a thousand miles will chew up the bearings some.
It is all covered under warranty, no easy way to tell if yours is affected or not without just driving it and seeing if a noise develops.
Sorry but some of you will have the trouble of having to get this fixed. Many will not. At least it's not a design flaw or something more serious. Just an idiot at the GM supplier.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:52 PM

richk is off the scale

Their mistake is causing us owners alot of grief. Including several trips to the dealer to figure out the problem, now waiting until replacements are available, and then waiting for the repair while driving a rental vehicle. Not to mention the un-measureable loss of confidence in Hummer/GM quality control.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Sorry you feel that way Rick. But think about the big picture though. 99% of the time the suppliers come through with what they are suppossed to. Do you really want to pay a higher sticker price so GM can "quality control check" all parts that come from outside companines just to catch the 1%? And having a lack of parts for the first 6 months that a new vehicle is out is considered normal. They have them all on the assembly line and it takes a while to build up some stock.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM

richk is off the scale

When they have a customer's H3 that needs a rear axle this should get priority over an assembly line build.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Hummer Professional

Agreed. I just know from experience that it's not that easy to pull a part from the assm. line to send to a truck. The plants are there to build trucks, and a different branch of GM has to go through a lot to get a part pulled from an assm. line. If you had to wait 2 or 3 weeks for your rear axle to come in I can understand your frustration. But if it was down 10 days or less I think you should be pretty thankfull.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:32 PM

richk is off the scale

My wait started last week, so we'll see how long it takes.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Hummer Guru

HUMMERTECH, is totally right in everything he said.
A problem like this can happen on any vehicle. It's not like BMW, Mercedes or even Lexus do not have problems with suppliers.
As Hummertech stated, it is not a design problem, but a manufacturing problem, and the line has been corrected.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 PM

richk is off the scale

I understand. I still love my H3 I just hope Hummer fixes it in a reasonable time frame. I really want to have a vehicle that is free of problems. I have more important things to deal with than bringing my H3 in for service every week.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

According to the manual - "it may take 25 feet in reverse for the lock to dissengage".

When I am in lock mode it feels like I am dragging somthing or have the parking break on lightly.

I am not sure if I have an issue or all is working as normal.

I guess I will just take it the dearlership and ask. Unless you folks have any better information.