H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 AM

Jesse is off the scale

Thanks to all the users here in the forums and Jason at JPCustoms (a huge help). I have finally made all my modifications to my factory touch screen navigation with factory rear seat entertainment.

I am sure there are many other users that will be interested in what I did and how I did it.

Here is what I started with.
Factory Navigation with touch screen.
Factory Rear Seat entertainment that used FM modulation to get the audio to the main system.

Here is what I added and how it works.
1. Backup camera – automatically comes on the screen when the car is in reverse.
2. Two video inputs to the front screen – one is for rear camera the other is from either the dvd or the aux3 input on the rear entertainment system
3. Added audio input that says “RSE” (rear seat entertainment) on the factory navigation screen. The touch screen has the option to mute the front or the rear speakers.
4. Added a switch that can switch from the factory screens to the rear camera or rear video at any time.
5. Added Ipod control that displays song title and artist information on the touch screen. The steering wheel controls work and each of the presets on the factory touch screen represent each playlist on the Ipod. Audio is hard wired into the factory system. (I finally decided this was a much better option then adding a 6 disc cd changer)
6. Added bluetooth hands free system. The system auto-mutes for incoming calls and plays the phone call over the factory system – just like On-star would.

I did all this while maintaining all of my factory looks and functions!

List of parts….
http://www.hitchcam.com/hitchcam.htm - I bought just the hitch camera without the screens. The picture is awesome – it is automatically reversed on the screen. There is a quick disconnect incase you need to tow something. Includes a lock so it can’t be stolen. It was the best solution for me because my spare tire is installed on the outside. Bought this from JP Customs.

Pac-Audio VCI-GM2 - http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?pro...16688&cat=771&page=1 – Bought this from JP Customs. This added two video inputs to the factory navigation screen and auto switches to the rear camera any time the truck is in reverse.

USA-Spec Aux Interface – this added one audio input (when I hit the CD button on my head unit) – the screen shows “RSE” http://www.usaspec.com/smart.htm

Metro Axxess Ipod Interface – GMIP-01. Added Ipod control and hookup to the system. Steering wheel controls work and screen displays song title and artist information. http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?pro...16985&cat=733&page=1 . There are other units on the market but this was the only one I found that could display the song and artist information. Allows for 199 songs in each play list (others only allow 99).

Soundgate GMCELL – hands free adapter – harness for adding hands free phone system. http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request=product.deta...yid=24&productid= 362

Soundgate GMACC – RAP ignition provider. This allows for my hands free device to keep getting power so long as the main system keeps getting power. (for when you turn off the car but the radio stays on).

Parrot Bluetooth hands free system - http://www.parrot.biz/products/index.php?id=ck3100. This is the only added on product that you can see (besides the camera). Basically allows me to make hands free phone calls so long as my cell phone is anywhere in the truck. Conversation is played over the sound system. Sound is automatically muted whenever the phone is in use.

I did most of the installation myself and had a local tech at an Al and Ed’s Autosound help me with some of the installation with the switches for the video and sound.

I will post some pictures of the hitchcam, the new screens on the nav, and other assorted stuff in the next few days.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 AM

Jesse is off the scale

Thanks to all the users here in the forums and Jason at JPCustoms (a huge help). I have finally made all my modifications to my factory touch screen navigation with factory rear seat entertainment.

I am sure there are many other users that will be interested in what I did and how I did it.

Here is what I started with.
Factory Navigation with touch screen.
Factory Rear Seat entertainment that used FM modulation to get the audio to the main system.

Here is what I added and how it works.
1. Backup camera – automatically comes on the screen when the car is in reverse.
2. Two video inputs to the front screen – one is for rear camera the other is from either the dvd or the aux3 input on the rear entertainment system
3. Added audio input that says “RSE” (rear seat entertainment) on the factory navigation screen. The touch screen has the option to mute the front or the rear speakers.
4. Added a switch that can switch from the factory screens to the rear camera or rear video at any time.
5. Added Ipod control that displays song title and artist information on the touch screen. The steering wheel controls work and each of the presets on the factory touch screen represent each playlist on the Ipod. Audio is hard wired into the factory system. (I finally decided this was a much better option then adding a 6 disc cd changer)
6. Added bluetooth hands free system. The system auto-mutes for incoming calls and plays the phone call over the factory system – just like On-star would.

I did all this while maintaining all of my factory looks and functions!

List of parts….
http://www.hitchcam.com/hitchcam.htm - I bought just the hitch camera without the screens. The picture is awesome – it is automatically reversed on the screen. There is a quick disconnect incase you need to tow something. Includes a lock so it can’t be stolen. It was the best solution for me because my spare tire is installed on the outside. Bought this from JP Customs.

Pac-Audio VCI-GM2 - http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?pro...16688&cat=771&page=1 – Bought this from JP Customs. This added two video inputs to the factory navigation screen and auto switches to the rear camera any time the truck is in reverse.

USA-Spec Aux Interface – this added one audio input (when I hit the CD button on my head unit) – the screen shows “RSE” http://www.usaspec.com/smart.htm

Metro Axxess Ipod Interface – GMIP-01. Added Ipod control and hookup to the system. Steering wheel controls work and screen displays song title and artist information. http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?pro...16985&cat=733&page=1 . There are other units on the market but this was the only one I found that could display the song and artist information. Allows for 199 songs in each play list (others only allow 99).

Soundgate GMCELL – hands free adapter – harness for adding hands free phone system. http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request=product.deta...yid=24&productid= 362

Soundgate GMACC – RAP ignition provider. This allows for my hands free device to keep getting power so long as the main system keeps getting power. (for when you turn off the car but the radio stays on).

Parrot Bluetooth hands free system - http://www.parrot.biz/products/index.php?id=ck3100. This is the only added on product that you can see (besides the camera). Basically allows me to make hands free phone calls so long as my cell phone is anywhere in the truck. Conversation is played over the sound system. Sound is automatically muted whenever the phone is in use.

I did most of the installation myself and had a local tech at an Al and Ed’s Autosound help me with some of the installation with the switches for the video and sound.

I will post some pictures of the hitchcam, the new screens on the nav, and other assorted stuff in the next few days.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Nice job!! Any room left behind your headunit!!!!
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

well....... where's the pictures?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ashley is off the scale

Looks nice, thanks for the detailed setup, its this sort of accuracy i like to see, i dry run display would be nice to show HOW and WHERE all this linked in just to top off the description...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Jesse is off the scale

Rear Camera
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Jesse is off the scale

Rear Camera on screen
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Jesse is off the scale

Rear Seat Entertainment Audio Input - with SPEC-USA piece
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Jesse is off the scale

Ipod Hookup - Notice the IPOD even shows the Axxess Logo - so you know it is hooked up!
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Jesse is off the scale

Ipod On screen - notice it shows Album, Artist and Song Title!
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Jesse is off the scale

DVD Movie playing to the screen - no more FM Modulation either - just push the CD button on the head unit and it goes to the dvd audio.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Jesse is off the scale

The screen shots may look grainy or like is some distortion coming through. This is just that it is very difficult to take a picture of the screen without getting that affect. I can assure you that all the screens are crystal clear. The dvd on the screen looks amazing.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it that's the new video iPod. I was wondering if it was compatible with the adapter.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

Jesse, nicely done! I checked the link you had provided for the GM Pac. The photo of the unit illustrates only one video input. Is the other input on the opposite end of the unit? I'm also in the market for a camera but not sure which would be best for H2 with rear tire carrier. The H2CAM that mounts in the middle of the rear marker light is the one I'm steering toward at present. What's your thoughts on this unit? Thank you, Chris
Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 PM

RiverRacerX is off the scale

What are the two buttons inside your console?
Can you play the DVD in the back and still listen to an alternate source up front?
Do you have a switch to turn on the rear camera at any time? (Is it one os the switches I asked about?)

Thanks!
That is a clean looking install.

http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/up...4-h2sut_av.jpg
Waiting for a real one....
Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 PM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klaus:
I take it that's the new video iPod. I was wondering if it was compatible with the adapter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - that is the latest Ipod Video 60GB.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 PM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sportsdude:
Jesse, nicely done! I checked the link you had provided for the GM Pac. The photo of the unit illustrates only one video input. Is the other input on the opposite end of the unit? I'm also in the market for a camera but not sure which would be best for H2 with rear tire carrier. The H2CAM that mounts in the middle of the rear marker light is the one I'm steering toward at present. What's your thoughts on this unit? Thank you, Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the latest Pac-Audio VCI-GM2 should have 2 inputs. One for a camera and the other for any other video source.

I almost went with the H2CAM but decided against it for these reasons.
1. I have my spare tire on the rear - and it would block the view.
2. I like the look of all the lights - so I did not want to lose any.
3. I don't think that camera looks that "hidden" to me.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RiverRacerX:
What are the two buttons inside your console?
Can you play the DVD in the back and still listen to an alternate source up front?
Do you have a switch to turn on the rear camera at any time? (Is it one os the switches I asked about?)

Thanks!
That is a clean looking install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The switch with a light allows me to turn on the front screen. Basically switching it away from the factory screens turning it into a video screen. The 2nd switch is a 3 way switch - one position is for rear camera (the default position), the 2nd position is for DVD input (also switches to the audio on the dvd), and the 3rd position is for my AUX3 input on my rear system. This will be for xbox hookup of whatever I want to put on the AUX3 input. This switch also switches to the audio on AUX3

Even though the audio is being switched - it does not necessarily mean it is being played over the factory system. To get the audio to come through – I need to push the “CD” button on my factory system to get to the Rear Seat Entertainment sound.

This means that I can listen to any input – XM, FM, AM, Ipod and change to see what is being played on the dvd or xbox without changing the audio. If I want to hear what is being played on there I change the input to CD.

This is the part that of the install job that I needed help with. I found a great installer at an Al&Ed’s Autosound shop here in southern California. They are the ones that helped me get the relays and switches all figured out.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM

RiverRacerX is off the scale

Sweet!
So you can see your Navigation map, but have your audio play what is being watched on the screens in the back.

Sounds easy to switch over too in case the PoPo pulls up behind you.

http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/up...4-h2sut_av.jpg
Waiting for a real one....
Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

corvette184 is off the scale

very very nice......i have a 2006 pacific and am going to do the same thing.......THANKS