H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-21-2005, 01:11 AM

lexpro is off the scale

Phil i wonder if that there is no variation from stock H2 to stock H2 (kind of hard to imagine that GM cant build them all same or that like convertibles and houses they change with age)and that they all rub somewhat and people just dont notice or see the shiny part of the sway bar where they have rubbed...i have had two different 05's and they both rubbed with OEM rubber and rubbed a little more with wider rubber.....
Old 05-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

Lexpro,

When you got your Moto Metals did you try them out before you bought them? Is this common that you get the tire and wheel store to put different tires on just to make sure they are what you want and that they won't rub or anything else? So basically you can walk into a store and ask them to have you try different tires and wheels???
Old 05-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

W1N,

Any Discount Tire will change out wheels and tires to test for rubbing. It's alot better to do this than have an unhappy customer.

Ed
Old 05-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed G.:
W1N,

Any Discount Tire will change out wheels and tires to test for rubbing. It's alot better to do this than have an unhappy customer.

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!!!
Old 05-21-2005, 03:56 PM

lexpro is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
Lexpro,

When you got your Moto Metals did you try them out before you bought them? Is this common that you get the tire and wheel store to put different tires on just to make sure they are what you want and that they won't rub or anything else? So basically you can walk into a store and ask them to have you try different tires and wheels??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They first his distributor to see what they have sold before that worked...when we determined that these were ok we ordered them and said that he would test fit them first....

Call Mike the mgr. at Discount Tire 7137834362 here in houston,tx and if you decide to buy a set from him (he can ship them to you) with a different size tire i will let him test fit them on my truck for you. Good Luck....
Old 05-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lexpro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
Lexpro,

When you got your Moto Metals did you try them out before you bought them? Is this common that you get the tire and wheel store to put different tires on just to make sure they are what you want and that they won't rub or anything else? So basically you can walk into a store and ask them to have you try different tires and wheels??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They first his distributor to see what they have sold before that worked...when we determined that these were ok we ordered them and said that he would test fit them first....

Call Mike the mgr. at Discount Tire 7137834362 here in houston,tx and if you decide to buy a set from him (he can ship them to you) with a different size tire i will let him test fit them on my truck for you. Good Luck.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Well, if these are 36.8" tall but 13.5 on 11", on this show truck the wheels are 9" wide doesn't that make the tire much less wider the rie size is 335/55R22 if Goodyear Wrengler MT 37x12.5R18 on a 18x10 wheel doesn't rub I don't see why would these??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some people with 37x12.50's find they do rub, some do not, less backspacing will certainly help.

Rim width effects tire profile, the lower rim widths increase the tire profile, higher rim widths decrease the tire profile. So if you increase the tire profile by using a smaller rim, than what the manufacturer measured the tire on, you will end up with a taller tire as the tire profile effectively increases. Now depending on the tire the sectional width will either stay thye same or increase slightly, due to sidewall bulge.

In any event a 13.50" wide tire with stock back spacing is likely to rub on a H2. If you decrease the backspacing you may not have rubbing on the sway bar or frame, but may now get it on the fender well.

Those tires look as they would rub, and I'd bet that they would off road. Which of course is a mute point if you just want the "look".

There really is only one way to know if a particular tire/rim combo will rub on a given H2 and that is to test fit them.

FWIW I've seen people say that their tires don't rub at all, yet there is a shiny polished area on their sway bar where they are in fact rubbing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My next question is how much rubing is bad and how much rubing will be affecting the turning diameter and actually change your ability to handle the vehicle in sharp turns like backing in and out of the carage etc? What are the most common places of rubing and what would you consider to be ok and what nok?

And how much do you expect the width of the tire change if I go from 11" wide wheel down to 9.5" or even 9". I calculated 13.5" wide tire (on a 11" wide wheel) would come down to about 12.5"...

Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

I think these top all of them...

37" Tires 22" wheels and 13.5" wide on 11" wide rims

Ofcourse if you are NOT off roading as some us will let you know </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

W1N - how do you know those rims are 11" wide?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2_SUT_SC:

W1N - how do you know those rims are 11" wide? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whose rims are not 11" wide they are 9". They are 22x9 Capellas (I just ordered them and black chromed as in this picture). The tire width on a 11" rim will be 13.5", less widt on the rim less width on the wheel as well, although higher the over all diameter. I ordered theese tires as well, they are BFG limited edition Mud terrains that have new tread design.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2_SUT_SC:

Whose rims are not 11" wide they are 9". They are 22x9 Capellas (I just ordered them and black chromed as in this picture). The tire width on a 11" rim will be 13.5", less widt on the rim less width on the wheel as well, although higher the over all diameter. I ordered theese tires as well, they are BFG limited edition Mud terrains that have new tread design. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When do you expect to get them in? I expect a ton of pictures once you get them on cause that's gonna look bad ass. What style and color H2 do you have?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

Whose rims are not 11" wide they are 9". They are 22x9 Capellas (I just ordered them and black chromed as in this picture). The tire width on a 11" rim will be 13.5", less widt on the rim less width on the wheel as well, although higher the over all diameter. I ordered theese tires as well, they are BFG limited edition Mud terrains that have new tread design. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When do you expect to get them in? I expect a ton of pictures once you get them on cause that's gonna look bad ass. What style and color H2 do you have? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually for me it is a long process all together. I will be getting a brand new 2006 pretty soon. Since I live so far away and our local vehicle legistlation sucks, it will be a while once I have everything set up. I will have a black SUV.

I'll be in Colorado tomorrow and I have bought most of my custom pieces now and will be picking those up along the way when I'll drive from Denver to Las Vegas to San Diego. Tires I'll be getting from Denver area and some other stuff as well, Wheels I got from Ebay and had them shipped to California for custom black chroming.

You're not the first one to ask for pics and I will definately send you some once I have everything set up. If it looks anything like the SEMA truck it will be bad ass neck braker

I wish I could go for the SUT, custom painted and lifted etc etc, but it is way too much trouble for me since our laws sucks. There is no guarantee that I could get it registered over here.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by V10MOJO2TOW:
is that all black chrome on that show truck? damn it looks nice. im having a real problem finding black chrome especially for the wheels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally got them. BLACK CHROME! I've got the black chromed center caps as well, bu they were without the Hummer text, so I'm in process of getting a set of OEM center caps black chromed with HUMMER all over it

I'm hoping this chrome job is good for Finland winters...

I also got the tires (see above), but they are already in Finland and I'm in NYC right now. Will post some pictures of the tires too if anybody wants to see them.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by V10MOJO2TOW:
is that all black chrome on that show truck? damn it looks nice. im having a real problem finding black chrome especially for the wheels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally got them. BLACK CHROME! I've got the black chromed center caps as well, bu they were without the Hummer text, so I'm in process of getting a set of OEM center caps black chromed with HUMMER all over it

I'm hoping this chrome job is good for Finland winters...

I also got the tires (see above), but they are already in Finland and I'm in NYC right now. Will post some pictures of the tires too if anybody wants to see them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck yeah post the pics of the tires too. Rims look great. Can't wait to see em mounted.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 PM

4churchill is off the scale

bet they will look awsome when on....be sure and post pics!!!

www.HUMMERNut.net