H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Hummer Professional

Location: GAIN INFORMATION AND EDUCATION RELATING TO HUMMER H2\'S
H2BRUTE is off the scale
Default Magnacharger supercharger and air intake

I'm about ready to have a magnacharger supercharger installed and am wondering what kind of air intake will fit with the addition of the supercharger..Maybe it comes with one..Based on the experiences of those of you who have already installed one, what type do you have and are you satisfied with it..As always, appreciate your inputs..Da BRUTE
Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Magnacharger supercharger and air intake

YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! I dont really remember if my charger came with a filter or not????

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

No filter as it uses the stock box and filter... You could go with an aftermarket box/filter combo that mounts in the stock position and uses the stock MAF mounting position...I bought a Volant box and filter specifically for this reason. From what I can tell it will work with the supercharger when I go that route.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 AM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

Again, thanks for the advice..I'll let you know how I make out..In checking the pic of the kit, it appears that it comes with a new coupler since the throttle body is offset to the side. I appears that it is made to fit into the oem air intake filter box.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2BRUTE
Again, thanks for the advice..I'll let you know how I make out..In checking the pic of the kit, it appears that it comes with a new coupler since the throttle body is offset to the side. I appears that it is made to fit into the oem air intake filter box.
Definitely comes with a new tube but the airbox/MAF remain in the stock location.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Grizzy is on a distinguished road

Just installed the magnacharger myself along with a few buddies to help me out. Worked on it all night this past Friday night. You're absolutely gonna LOVE this thing. Same night, I installed the Volant airbox. The night before, I went to a shop to have a magnaflow muffler installed. The magnaflow is hardly noticeable when driving down the interstate at a normal pace, but boy when you hit the pedal, that thing opens up and sounds incredible!! Then the magnacharger starts to whine at around 3k RPM +. It's incredibly exhilirating!!!!! GM should offer a supercharger as an upgrade option for warranty purposes, cuz if you install this thing, you can go ahead and say goodbye to your warranty, that is, if you have any left to begin with, like me. I have a couple condenser mics and running Cubase 4 on my laptop. I plan on getting a high quality audio recording of both exhaust combined with under-the-hood sound, like the supercharger winding up. I should have this audio clip available soon. I can give you guys a link later on if you're interested. I may even post a video of my SUT going 0-60mph both before and after the magnacharger upgrade.

Happy Trails

Grizzy
Old 08-28-2007, 05:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ok here is the video. The first part shows a 0-60mph test (approx. 14secs) without the magnacharger. The following part will take a look under the hood right after the install. The final part will be a 0-60mph test (approx. 8secs with factory set 6psi boost) with the magnacharger.

http://www.atvparkvideo.com/videos/hummer.wmv

Grizzy
Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

You're makin me drool..Can't wait to have one installed. I am definitely looking forward to it..
Old 09-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

Grizzy, I noticed you changed the air intake filter box to a Volant..How does this compare to the stock air intake, since the s/c just mounts to the oem one normally?? I.e. Do you feel you get added performance?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2BRUTE
Grizzy, I noticed you changed the air intake filter box to a Volant..How does this compare to the stock air intake, since the s/c just mounts to the oem one normally?? I.e. Do you feel you get added performance?

--It's all about air flow--
I did the airbox the same time as the s/c so I really have nothing to compare as far as before/after tests. Honestly, I'm not sure how the volant will add anymore air volume compared to the factory air box; only because I inspected the factory box after removal only to find that the two are practically the same, only a new k&n type oil coated filter that comes with the volant. However, changing the filter, whether you put it in a fancy looking volant box or not, is a definite plus. The new filter should allow more air flow, which should directly affect the performance of the s/c. (whether you go with an oil-coated filter or not has been up for debate.) Also, you should have a good open exhaust system to allow the air back out. Technically, to get the most out of the s/c, you should change your entire exhaust system from the headers back, but not a must. I opted not to get the headers, atleast not yet anyways, until I find out a little more about costs vs. actual performance increase. There is nearly no limit to how much you can spend for every little percentage of performance increase you actually gain. For now, I have a magnaflow muffler which opens the exhaust up quite a bit over the factory muffler. Although I'm still running a factory catalytic converter which is pretty restrictive. The s/c, air box, & muffler was my first step. I will have plans for more upgrades at some point and I'll keep you posted.

Can't wait for you to get your s/c installed. I know you'll love it. I'm excited for you! =)

Grizzy
Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

Thanks Grizzy. I appreciate the input. I actually started backwards and installed a Bassani exhaust first then Dynamax long tube headers with flow through cats. They are amazing. Nice sound plus improved performance. I definitely think the addition of the flow through cats make a big difference over the stock cats.It will be about 2 weeks before the s/c gets here, then has to be installed, but I am trying to be patient.. I know I'm gonna love it..
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

Grizzy, I am getting down to the wire for installing the s/c and I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought the Volant filter box. I would like to add this since I am adding the s/c. I like the look and based on reviews, it appears that it adds to the performance ..BRUTE
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Guys the main improvement of Volant or K&N or whatever brand over factory box, since if it comes with a box they mount in the same place, is the design of the tube from box to throttle body.

The factory tube has many little notchs and crooked turns that slow air down. Look at factory tube and then Volant tube, K&N tube, Air Raid tube and so on.

In my humble opinion just get a tube to straighten the air flow path which increases air flow speed. The straighter and shorter the distance the air travels the better. Many of the aftermarkets sell just tubes and they will fit factory box then you just put in hi-performance filter of choice. I run a cone shaped filter mounted on the front pass. fender compartment with a shield to help protect it from engine heat. It is in position to draw as much cool air from the inside fender slots as possible. It is not my final setup as we will build something else as we advance the boost water/meth inj. etc. Of course the sensor is still being used at this point but, will be gone before next spring which will open up more ideas for air flow There are many views on this subject but if throttle body did not pull air from straight behind the radiator but, pulled air in from the top as carbs. do I would in racing or just high perf. needs I would not put anything over the T-body intake if pointing up with an air scoop forcing air straight down from outside. I jerked air filter of my old hotrods all the time when wanting more air to get from scoop to carb unobstructed and never had any damage from not filtering air. When not needed put filter back on for normal driving. I have many ideas on how I want to improve airflow so that the supercharger in no way suffers for air when it asks for it.

Just my thoughts on the subject but, for everyday use on a supercharger allot are putting more concern for running whatever is claimed to give most HP increase when if you look hard at the numbers and what you use your rig for many are making a mountain out of a mole hill concerning who's kit flows more and makes more HP. You will gain as much HP increase by going to Royal Purple syn. oil as will most filter systems for air can provide. I saw this comparison on Horsepower TV on Spike using dyno's we could see the numbers on runs. Your looking at spending more than needed maybe. If you have a friend that is good at metal work or maybe exhaust shop, get him to make a tube with as straight a shot as you can get to T-body have it jet hot coated to keep air temp down inside tube hook it up and you are good to go using stock box.

I do want to say if you off road stay with factory setup and just change filter maybe? The factory is designed to collect water incase you are running through allot of water and aftermarket kits are not looking at that as it is no concern to them. They want to place their product in the best light of peformance gains.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

Thanks Taz.. What you say makes a lot of sense..From the looks of it, the supercharger coupler is L shaped and is a short, straight shot from one end to the other thereby maximizing air flow..BRUTE
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Elcova Rookie

HiRoller is off the scale
Smile Re: Magnacharger supercharger and air intake

guys;
In have the magnacharger unit but I donot have a boost guage. Where would you install the connection on the charger to get the right reading.

thanks,
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Hummer Professional

H2BRUTE is off the scale

I am in the process of having mine installed, Started yesterday and hopefully they will finish today, but I am having them do other stuff. If not ready today, when I pick it up on Monday, I will ask the shop where to connect it...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

In the Whipple there is a plug in the base of the S/C that you undo and connect the tube to that.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2BRUTE, haven't heard from ya since last week. I trust they're done with your S/C by now surely. Waiting to hear from ya buddy. =)
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzy
I may even post a video of my SUT going 0-60mph both before and after the magnacharger upgrade.

Happy Trails

Grizzy
Like this?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/0-60_000.mpeg

I don't know why they still use this one because I made before I sent it back to them to have it retuned.

Paul Sr on American Chopper has a SC. You could hear that baby last night when he gagged it a couple of times.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Like this?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/0-60_000.mpeg

I don't know why they still use this one because I made before I sent it back to them to have it retuned.

Paul Sr on American Chopper has a SC. You could hear that baby last night when he gagged it a couple of times.

Nice, always liked that vid, other than the crappy quality. It shows what the s/c should really do. I'm having my tranny looked at as we speak to determine the best upgrade for better shifting. Also considering an 8psi pulley for the s/c. Of course, if I'm only gaining less than 1 sec, and putting a tremendous amount of extra strain on the motor/trans, is it really worth it? But yes, I still like the video. Wish mine would 0-60 in 6secs. Not sure it's worth the extra risk though.