H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: OIL

Royal Purple should be found at NAPA.

I use RP because of protection and HP gains along with torque gain. I do not extend my oil change because of the increased use pressure put on the oiling with supercharger etc. and hot temps up a little. Once i get temps down some I will stretch changes some and in winter because of the colder temps it allows stretching the oil change as any oil could except in extreme cold temp climate.

I run AC Delco filter or WIX filter. If had to chose i would use WIX as i used them on heavy farming equipment and saw how well they performed. I would not even run John Deere filters on the green machines when I could get WIX.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

TAZ,
Where do you find the WIX filters? Thanx....Jamie
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Hummer Authority

Wix is a common find in the south around farming country. I picked them up normally at small auto stores. I think Autozone or one of the other major chains has the brand. Wix makes all the common sizes as well make and put other companies names on for them. I just always made sure it said Wix.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
Wix is a common find in the south around farming country. I picked them up normally at small auto stores. I think Autozone or one of the other major chains has the brand. Wix makes all the common sizes as well make and put other companies names on for them. I just always made sure it said Wix.

TAZ

Thanx...BTW, hope you're feeling better....Jamie
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks Jamie,

Doing better and will keep getting better. I have just decided that I'm getting well and that is how it is going to be. Now I just got to walk the talk, so I pray for strength to do so.

TAZ
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Thanks Jamie,

Doing better and will keep getting better. I have just decided that I'm getting well and that is how it is going to be. Now I just got to walk the talk, so I pray for strength to do so.

TAZ

I'll be praying for you on this end as well. God Bless....Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Hummer Authority

Jamie,
may get a chance to catch up to You in Florida next year. My sister took an early retirment from NASA but, her husband is from Miami. They still live on or near Merith Island I think is how it is spelled. but, have spent many days messing around on CoaCoa Beach. I appologize for butchering the names. It would not be likely I would drive the H2 as we have some real important shows and most liley my last heavy show season in 2008. I will do local for local sponsor but, will have fulfilled Our obligations to national sponsors. I could have it shipped round trip but, that would take allot of fun out of it. I need to ship it out west to see tower and other Buds in that area. Plan a few mid America meetings with Buds or Gals. I'm not going to change the rig for off-road right away because of many small local sponsors in state. I may pick up a Dodge sponsor where he will furnish a trailer to haul the Challenger I am supposed to get at cost. If that happens he wants me to toe Challenger to state shows promoting his dealership and I will get to compete with H2 since I will use it to tow Challenger. Dealer is at SEMA this weak in meetings that is to help the ones who came to SEMA a head start on getting a car in. AR will get very few because of pop. so they went to try and lock a car down. I'm slowly beginning a car collection.

Anyway I will touch base with all if I get in Your area. It may be my best chance to ge to see many of You.

TAZ
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Jamie,
may get a chance to catch up to You in Florida next year. My sister took an early retirment from NASA but, her husband is from Miami. They still live on or near Merith Island I think is how it is spelled. but, have spent many days messing around on CoaCoa Beach. I appologize for butchering the names. It would not be likely I would drive the H2 as we have some real important shows and most liley my last heavy show season in 2008. I will do local for local sponsor but, will have fulfilled Our obligations to national sponsors. I could have it shipped round trip but, that would take allot of fun out of it. I need to ship it out west to see tower and other Buds in that area. Plan a few mid America meetings with Buds or Gals. I'm not going to change the rig for off-road right away because of many small local sponsors in state. I may pick up a Dodge sponsor where he will furnish a trailer to haul the Challenger I am supposed to get at cost. If that happens he wants me to toe Challenger to state shows promoting his dealership and I will get to compete with H2 since I will use it to tow Challenger. Dealer is at SEMA this weak in meetings that is to help the ones who came to SEMA a head start on getting a car in. AR will get very few because of pop. so they went to try and lock a car down. I'm slowly beginning a car collection.

Anyway I will touch base with all if I get in Your area. It may be my best chance to ge to see many of You.

TAZ

Sounds great, if ever you need a place to crash, you've got one here in Florida. Also, maybe I can arrange for a deep sea fishing trip
Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Aich Tew is on a distinguished road

Rotela 5w-40 syn, $16 a gallon at wally world.

Purolator Pure 1, $5 at Freddy Meyer

I you feel like spending a few extra $$$ on oil, buy Motul
Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Hummer Authority

Jamie

I have never been deep sea fishing. It is something I have always dreamed of doing. I may need to look at flying down on a special trip to visit wth You and hang out a little. What would airfare cost round trip on a weekend or if I left on Sunday and flew back on a Tuesday or whatever day the airfare would cost the least.

It is funny a year ago well 1 1/2 year ago I would no have even questioned cost. My illness's has cost me dearly since I had no insurance untl I had been turned down enough until I finally got certified to take out the state mandated health ins. It is costly to say the least but, it is something. Shame is it has a million dollar limit. At this rate I can get there if not a touch from Our Lord.

Ach Tew the Rotela is a good choice of oil. I ran it in my diesel tractors and truck. Back when.

TAZ

Last edited by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ : 11-02-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Jamie

I have never been deep sea fishing. It is something I have always dreamed of doing. I may need to look at flying down on a special trip to visit wth You and hang out a little. What would airfare cost round trip on a weekend or if I left on Sunday and flew back on a Tuesday or whatever day the airfare would cost the least.

It is funny a year ago well 1 1/2 year ago I would no have even questioned cost. My illness's has cost me dearly since I had no insurance untl I had been turned down enough until I finally got certified to take out the state mandated health ins. It is costly to say the least but, it is something. Shame is it has a million dollar limit. At this rate I can get there if not a touch from Our Lord.

Ach Tew the Rotela is a good choice of oil. I ran it in my diesel tractors and truck. Back when.

TAZ

Sounds good, also, I thought that Rotella was specifically for diesel engines?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
Sounds good, also, I thought that Rotella was specifically for diesel engines?

It is specified for diesel engines, true.

You wonder what's the difference between, diesel grade and automobile grade, huh?

What's a gas engine got that a diesel don't?

Last edited by Aich Tew : 11-02-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ok, you're not going to ask, so I'll just tells ya.

Anti-wear additives such as zinc and phosphorus are limited by lawmakers because they damage catalytic converters on engines with high oil consumpion.

Kinda putting the cart before the horse, if you ask me. Any diesel grade oil, motorcycle oil or any oil marked 'Racing' does not have these limits applied to them.

Diesel grade oils tend to have more detergent additives in them, plus more acid neutralizers such as boron, calcium and magnesium to cope with the demads in such engines.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aich Tew
Ok, you're not going to ask, so I'll just tells ya.

Anti-wear additives such as zinc and phosphorus are limited by lawmakers because they damage catalytic converters on engines with high oil consumpion.

Kinda putting the cart before the horse, if you ask me. Any diesel grade oil, motorcycle oil or any oil marked 'Racing' does not have these limits applied to them.

Diesel grade oils tend to have more detergent additives in them, plus more acid neutralizers such as boron, calcium and magnesium to cope with the demads in such engines.

So you are saying that the diesel oil would provide a longer life for the engine overall, than say if I ran Mobil 1 the life of the engine?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

RippSpeed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aich Tew
It is specified

What's a gas engine got that a diesel don't?
Fuel pressures are sooo much higher than gas ... Gasoline engines probably run like 38 to 45psi fuel pressure while diesels run something like 2000psi on up ... I know big industrial CAT diesels run in the low 19,000 to 20,000psi
Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
So you are saying that the diesel oil would provide a longer life for the engine overall, than say if I ran Mobil 1 the life of the engine?

Not necesarily, but it can't hurt, is what I'm trying to say. I haven't seen a good comparative analysis of major oil brands since 2003. However, I had read a tech bulliten published by the Porche Car Club of America which cast doubt on the ability of modern gasoline engine oils to protect their beloved air-cooled pancake-sixes. A lot of 911 owners run Rotella 15-40 (non-synth) in their vehicles. a 911 holds a little over two gallons and most owners like to change often.

Mobil 1 stacks up good, if you like it, there's no need to switch.