H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Hummer Novice

glowrider is on a distinguished road
Default Salutations - suggestions sought

Greetings. New to the board, just found it this morning in fact. I previously owned a GMC Yukon Denali and I hated how it drove, though I loved the comfortable ride. I now have an '06 BMW M5 but need something for the winter. I'm tossed up between the H3 and the Wrangler, but I'm 90% sure I'll go for a Yellow H3 (bare bones package, just want it for bad weather and getting to some more remote spots [I'm a photographer]).

Anyway, I am searching for some opinions (I'm currently in Ecuador on assignment, will be back next week and scheduled for a test drive, but I'm too damn excited to not ask some silly newbish questions that will probably be replied with 'go test drive one' so please keep that in mind).

1) Is the H3 tighter than the Denali? My Yukon was a pig in slush. But on the same note, does it ride as smoothly, or more harsh? Mostly going to be on the streets in NYC and out to Jersey or LI sometimes. Frequently to upstate NY though.

2) I HATE Potamkin in Manhattan. I feel dirty when I walk in there. Anyone have a great Hummer dealer in the tri-state area? I don't mind using Potamkin for service as it is 20 blocks from home, but I don't want to lease from them.

3) Is there any point in trying to negotiate beyond what a GMID would get me on a lease? I'm looking for an '06 or '07 in Yellow with black and a manual tranny, hope they're easy to find.

Thank you guys for understanding that I'm just too excited at this point and in no position to actually go call or visit a dealer (although it would be great to have one here at 12,000 feet in the Andes)...

David

Last edited by glowrider : 12-03-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Hummer Novice

Default Re: Salutations - suggestions sought

No one has even an inkling of a comment?

2006 BMW M5 Interlagos Blue/Black
2007 H3 Black/Black 'lux/offroad.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

wordstew is on a distinguished road

Ok I will attempt to answer a few of your questions. I Have driven the two afforementioned vehicles in your post only once or twice. In my opinion the H3 gives a much tighter ride then both of those, floats less. Not as much engine power as the two but certainly sufficient. The H3 beats them hands down for parking in tight spots, turning radius is incredible. When you go for a test drive I would strongly suggest pulling to the side of the road cranking the steering wheel to the max and pulling a U turn. In-fuc#$ing-credible was my reaction. Oh yeah, you also gotta bring a CD of your favorite music pop it in and krank the Monsoon stereo it will make you feel 16 all over again.

In my opinion GMID is the way to go. No haggle no hassle. Just negotiate all the with the dealer for add ons like side steps ect. ect. ect.... or add them aftermarket. Half the fun of owning the H3 is personal customizing.

Good luck

Last edited by wordstew : 12-04-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Haven't driven the danali or the jeep. But here are a few thoughts.

My H3 turns tighter than my daughters Scion XB. It also turns tighter than the s-10 Blasers I've owned. Also has less road noise and better ride.
It's quieter and gives a better ride than the Cadillac CTX.
If you plan on doing any offraoding add the adventure package. Gives you a locking rear differencial in 4 lo.
Monsoon sound system beats the tar out of the stock.
Good Luck and post some pictures.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordstew
Ok I will attempt to answer a few of your questions. I Have driven the two afforementioned vehicles in your post only once or twice. In my opinion the H3 gives a much tighter ride then both of those, floats less. Not as much engine power as the two but certainly sufficient. The H3 beats them hands down for parking in tight spots, turning radius is incredible. When you go for a test drive I would strongly suggest pulling to the side of the road cranking the steering wheel to the max and pulling a U turn. In-fuc#$ing-credible was my reaction. Oh yeah, you also gotta bring a CD of your favorite music pop it in and krank the Monsoon stereo it will make you feel 16 all over again.

In my opinion GMID is the way to go. No haggle no hassle. Just negotiate all the with the dealer for add ons like side steps ect. ect. ect.... or add them aftermarket. Half the fun of owning the H3 is personal customizing.

Good luck

Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I can answer from a photographer's point of view.
I took a few trips in Wranglers with four cameras (F5, F100, D70, D200), along with seven lenses (four pro and very large), tripod, flashes, monopod, and various other misc camera equipment (basically three bags), along with two duffle bags, a cooler, tools, etc., and the Wranglers were bulging the roof, and basically, there is no security in a cloth covered Wranger, even with the small locable truck they offer. (Most of the equipment would not fit into the trunk.)
Now, with the H3 this year, I not only took almost the same amount of photo equipment, but my kid and all his photo equipment. The backseat was filled, could not have taken another person unless I purchased a covered luggage carrier. We had some security with the doors locking and a steel roof, and the ride across country sure was more enjoyable.
The Hummer went everywhere the Wranglers went, so as for off-roading, all I can say is they were both good.

As for riding, the H3 is more enjoyable to ride on the nasty, pot-holed roads of MI, and is generally a comfortable vehicle (for me) to drive. However, hard to beat an open top Jeep in the summer.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

move on and find something else to drive. It's not for you.

If you hated how a Denali "drove" but loved the comfortable ride, you don't know enough about what you want out of a vehicle for anyone here to help you out.

A Denali is not an offroad vehicle, the H3 is. Two completely different vehicles and trying to draw some comparision between the two is asinine. Besides, about the only reason one wouldn't like a Denali is if they owned one prior to 2001.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Manual tranny wasn't easy to find on the Adventure package here in Colorado (they had some in the base model tho). One reason I decided to order mine.

I used the GMID and saved tons of money with none of the hassle of haggling. If I understand right, you can use GMID with dealer incentives, but someone should chime in if I'm wrong. There weren't any incentives on 07's when I ordered.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

SNUGGIE is on a distinguished road

Dealer incentives can be tacked on even using GMID.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
move on and find something else to drive. It's not for you.

If you hated how a Denali "drove" but loved the comfortable ride, you don't know enough about what you want out of a vehicle for anyone here to help you out.

A Denali is not an offroad vehicle, the H3 is. Two completely different vehicles and trying to draw some comparision between the two is asinine. Besides, about the only reason one wouldn't like a Denali is if they owned one prior to 2001.

Of course I know what I want, and I stated my inteded purposes of the car. I want a truck that handles better than the Denali which was mush, but I don't want a terribly harsh ride. What about that makes you think I don't know what I want?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
I can answer from a photographer's point of view.
I took a few trips in Wranglers with four cameras (F5, F100, D70, D200), along with seven lenses (four pro and very large), tripod, flashes, monopod, and various other misc camera equipment (basically three bags), along with two duffle bags, a cooler, tools, etc., and the Wranglers were bulging the roof, and basically, there is no security in a cloth covered Wranger, even with the small locable truck they offer. (Most of the equipment would not fit into the trunk.)
Now, with the H3 this year, I not only took almost the same amount of photo equipment, but my kid and all his photo equipment. The backseat was filled, could not have taken another person unless I purchased a covered luggage carrier. We had some security with the doors locking and a steel roof, and the ride across country sure was more enjoyable.
The Hummer went everywhere the Wranglers went, so as for off-roading, all I can say is they were both good.

As for riding, the H3 is more enjoyable to ride on the nasty, pot-holed roads of MI, and is generally a comfortable vehicle (for me) to drive. However, hard to beat an open top Jeep in the summer.

Thank you, this is very helpful (as well as most of the other responses) and something I had considered as well. Tossing in a load of c-stands and some packs would definitely be a lot easier with the H3 for sure. Personally, I shoot medium format digital and can get all my kit into the back of my M5, but c-stands and packs are another story. Drop the rear seats in the H3 and I'll never need to take the grip gear out, methinks.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrider
Of course I know what I want, and I stated my inteded purposes of the car. I want a truck that handles better than the Denali which was mush, but I don't want a terribly harsh ride. What about that makes you think I don't know what I want?

Don't mind paragon. He has a lot of time on his hands and is just trying to get a rise out of you. He really does have a lot of good knowledge on Hummers and wheeling, but it mostly stays in the H2 forum. He gets his kicks trolling our forum, passing out criticism and hazing the newbs. But what do you expect from a guy who thinks "dreams are for losers"?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
Don't mind paragon. He has a lot of time on his hands and is just trying to get a rise out of you. He really does have a lot of good knowledge on Hummers and wheeling, but it mostly stays in the H2 forum. He gets his kicks trolling our forum, passing out criticism and hazing the newbs. But what do you expect from a guy who thinks "dreams are for losers"?

All well and good. Trolls are a part of life on the internet. I'm very active on the M5 forum and other boards, I know how it works.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrider
the fact that you even remotely think a H3 will handle better than a Denali

and the fact that you don't
Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
B S

Put him on your ignore list

Thats where he and others like IT belong

RYD
ahhh! THE example people use to advocate for doctor assisted suicide
Old 12-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the fact that you even remotely think a H3 will handle better than a Denali

and the fact that you don't

Depends on what you mean by "handle"??? Cornering??? Hiway Ride??? What???
Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Depends on what you mean by "handle"??? Cornering??? Hiway Ride??? What???
it does everything better than an H3 on the Highway, as far as handling is concerned.

But the same can be said for the Denali and the H2, the regular Yukon, a pickup, the Expedition, Excursion, and most other truck based vehicles.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
it does everything better than an H3 on the Highway, as far as handling is concerned.

But the same can be said for the Denali and the H2, the regular Yukon, a pickup, the Expedition, Excursion, and most other truck based vehicles.

paragon, I'd like to understand what you mean. Could you give some examples of your expectations of good handling on the highway? Or maybe a few situations where the driving characteristics of the other trucks is superior to the H3? Personal experience or objective reports would be great.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
paragon, I'd like to understand what you mean. Could you give some examples of your expectations of good handling on the highway? Or maybe a few situations where the driving characteristics of the other trucks is superior to the H3? Personal experience or objective reports would be great.
I didn't say the other trucks were superior to the H3. I said that the Denali was superior to most truck based vehicles in the handling department.

That's from vast experience. I've owned one since 2001 and have driven nearly all of the other vehicles. Get your heads out of your collective asses. The Denali is made for the road, period. It's Ok for it to drive better.

Geezus
Old 12-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

I owned a pre-2001 Denali and still think it's a better vehicle for the road, but that's also where it needs to stay. It's not an offroad vehicle.
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's