H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I had been busy the last couple days and haven’t, among other things, had a chance to log on this forum. I figure I’d take today, New Years Day, to catch up on some emails, make phone calls, maybe rent a few DVDs, etc., particularly since I’m sick with a cold and it’s a rainy day. The ideal day to stay home.

So I get up 9:00 this morning, get some coffee and turn on the laptop. First thing, as usual, I go to H2 forum and was laughing at HeeHaw’s and Mac’s string on New Year’s resolutions. Just as I’m about to send a reply I hear what sounds to be a few small explosions who knows where and my computer screen goes black. I notice the electricity in the apartment is out. I have a bad feeling. We in NYC are particularly edgy about these things and I run to the window only to notice that there’s been a short in the wires down in the street at the line to my building. Judging from the fire on the telephone pole and emergency vehicles gathering, this might take some time to fix.

So here I am, home without electricity. It is then that I realize how dependent I have become on technology. My first impulse was to go back to the PC and catch up on the 2 days of H2 forum I missed. No stupid, electricity is out. I then go to make breakfast and can’t heat up waffles. Nor does the dishwasher doesn’t work. Nice, now I don't have to do laundry today. Then I figure I’d call people to see who else is affected by the blackout but the phone’s out and the cell phone isn’t charged. Can’t watch TV today, so there goes the DVD party. Can’t check emails. Can’t listen to music unless I buy batteries. Can’t get batteries or leave the apartment period since the elevators are out. I’m on the 33rd floor, stairs not an option when you have fever. I then wondered what the hell am I going to do today???

This wound up being an enlightening experience because it forced me to do absolutely nothing all day. I got into a book that I’ve been wanting to read and did that most of the day with a couple naps in between. Very relaxing and just what I needed. This experience also reminded me of one of the reasons I enjoy camping. You quickly appreciate all the conveniences you have in life and that you take for granted. You also realize how little you actually need, and how many excesses and distractions you actually have on a daily basis.

At 6:00 pm the electricity came back again on and now I have a lot to do. Glad to have the PC back, TV on, phone ringing, elevators working. I’m relaxed, feel better. Life is good.

Mac, please don’t report me to Jason saying that this post has nothing to do with the H2 because it does. The whole problem started while I was on the H2 forum, so I think it is relevant. Yeah but, but I, but...
Old 01-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I had been busy the last couple days and haven’t, among other things, had a chance to log on this forum. I figure I’d take today, New Years Day, to catch up on some emails, make phone calls, maybe rent a few DVDs, etc., particularly since I’m sick with a cold and it’s a rainy day. The ideal day to stay home.

So I get up 9:00 this morning, get some coffee and turn on the laptop. First thing, as usual, I go to H2 forum and was laughing at HeeHaw’s and Mac’s string on New Year’s resolutions. Just as I’m about to send a reply I hear what sounds to be a few small explosions who knows where and my computer screen goes black. I notice the electricity in the apartment is out. I have a bad feeling. We in NYC are particularly edgy about these things and I run to the window only to notice that there’s been a short in the wires down in the street at the line to my building. Judging from the fire on the telephone pole and emergency vehicles gathering, this might take some time to fix.

So here I am, home without electricity. It is then that I realize how dependent I have become on technology. My first impulse was to go back to the PC and catch up on the 2 days of H2 forum I missed. No stupid, electricity is out. I then go to make breakfast and can’t heat up waffles. Nor does the dishwasher doesn’t work. Nice, now I don't have to do laundry today. Then I figure I’d call people to see who else is affected by the blackout but the phone’s out and the cell phone isn’t charged. Can’t watch TV today, so there goes the DVD party. Can’t check emails. Can’t listen to music unless I buy batteries. Can’t get batteries or leave the apartment period since the elevators are out. I’m on the 33rd floor, stairs not an option when you have fever. I then wondered what the hell am I going to do today???

This wound up being an enlightening experience because it forced me to do absolutely nothing all day. I got into a book that I’ve been wanting to read and did that most of the day with a couple naps in between. Very relaxing and just what I needed. This experience also reminded me of one of the reasons I enjoy camping. You quickly appreciate all the conveniences you have in life and that you take for granted. You also realize how little you actually need, and how many excesses and distractions you actually have on a daily basis.

At 6:00 pm the electricity came back again on and now I have a lot to do. Glad to have the PC back, TV on, phone ringing, elevators working. I’m relaxed, feel better. Life is good.

Mac, please don’t report me to Jason saying that this post has nothing to do with the H2 because it does. The whole problem started while I was on the H2 forum, so I think it is relevant. Yeah but, but I, but...
Old 01-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

My new years day was spent with my buddy Scott. For old times sake we pulled out our dirtbikes and took them to a club that was hosting a 60 mile run up in the Angeles National Forest.

Everything was fine until we hit snow. For the record: dirtbikes and snow don't mix well. People we're sliding, crashing and 'losing it' all over the place. One unfortunate guy, a speed-demon, hit some ice and wiped out. His right hand was very badly hurt: one finger very broken and blood everywhere. He's in for some reconstructive surgery, stitches and a long recovery.

I managed not to crash, but I'm sore as heck and my butt aches from 60 long miles on my XR350.

I missed my H2, like the few qauds on the trip, she's stable and sure-footed. I miss the radio, the heater, the cushy seats, the camera, the food and drinks onboard...and all the creature comforts I've come to love about offroading with 4 wheels then just two.
'
Anyone wanna buy a dirtbike...cheap?
Old 01-02-2003, 02:08 AM

JJ is off the scale

The day before we had went exploring off-road in the H2, visiting some ancient Anasazi ruins, and encountered a little snow and mud. So today, we awoke and decided to give the H2 a shower. Rest of the day was spent watching football, my beloved Wolverines. Oh, and I watched a great special on ESPN on E. Smith - love them Cowboys.

JJ