H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The GVWR is just the H2, (or trailer) loaded to the MAX, (fuel, accessories, people, and gear). 3500 pounds on each axle=Gross Axle Weight rating (gawr) for the trailer. If you check the manual you will also find the GCWR or, Gross Combined Weight Rating, which is, GVWR+TOWED LOAD, (approxamatly 7000Pounds)=14,000 pounds.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Hummer Expert

JMV1210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so can someone tell me, the h2 pulling the trailer in the picture without a load is possible?

So the 7,000 are how much the trailer can weigh over the axles including a load? If that is the case, then the only way I can get a weight, to ensure the total weight does not exceed 14,000 lbs is by bringing this to a weigh station.
Joe
Old 01-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

While I don't want to endorse everyone to pull a load over the suggested weight ratings, keep in mind that what comes from GM is a suggested weight rating based what they feel is a relatively worse case scenario. It is not in terms of max weight ratings.

There are many factors that go into their ratings, some of which has nothing to do with the vehicles ability to safely tow the trailer. They obviously have to stay way on the safe side to limit their liability.

Also, it is my opinion, that if you have the air suspension, you can safely tow up to the rating given for use with a weight-distrubition hitch. GM is providing the rating based on a coil suspended rear end, not with the air.

To opine on your question, JMV1210, your trailer probably weighs about 2500lbs empty. Meaning, on your trailer you should be safe by adding about 4500lbs of cargo. The trailer you have should be well-matched for your H2. I have a trailer similar and it is a smooth and easy pull with the H2.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 PM

SpokaneWalt is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by unaslob:

"the yukon with same engine can tow about 9500 lbs with a curb weight of about 6000 lbs so the engine can pull about 15500 lbs. again not bad

then the h2... can tow 7000 lbs... but only weighs 6800 lbs...so the engine can pull in theory only 13800 lbs... what the hell???

it is not a gearing issue at least in comparison to the yukon both 4.10"

The Yukon XL 2500 only comes with 245/75/16 tires, so a 4.10 in a Hummer H2 (with 34"-35") tires is not a true comparison to a 26" - 28" tall tire on the Yukon XL 2500.

The Yukon XL 2500 is a longer vehicle, with Leaf Springs (vs. the Coil over type on the H2)

The Yukon XL 2500 has a drive train that is quite a bit different - not full time 4x4 or "all wheel drive". A better comparison, drive train wise, would be to a Yukon Denali, as it has "All wheel Drive," and a Coil Spring type rear suspension. Basically the same engine and a "similiar drive train" (The Denali has no 4 Lo capability, no factory "locker," etc)

The max towing for the Yukon Denali or Denali XL is 8000 Lbs (+/-100), but the Max gross vehilce weight for the Yukon Denalis is around 7000 lbs vs 8600 for the H2. The "Vehicle Cargo" capacity for the H2 is 2200 lbs vs. about 1500 for the Yukon Denali. The denali has 3.73 rear end, which is closer to the H2 4.10 when you account for tire height.

So it is a give some here take some there and you get around the same max combined weight rating for both.

There are a bunch of other factors that probably reduce towing capacity for the H2- tow hitch height, sidewall stiffness of the tires, weight rating of the tires, gear ratio effects of tire height, etc.

Remember- it is a "rating" or "number" - the other GM SUVs (Yukon and Suburban types) have competing vehicles from other mfgs, which may cause the towing numbers to be a slight bit over-rated. The H2 has no equal from Ford, Dodge or any foreign make. So it may have a bit more "safety factor" built into the numbers. GM / AM General has no reason to bump the numbers up 500lbs or so for comparison reasons. My opinion is that the Suburban and Yukon XL 2500 are over-rated and and puching them to the max weights is too much for the vehicles (definetly too much for the factory receiver hitch - but that is another topic...)

Last, there was an issue with "cooling" for the trans, etc - and I would say that the cooling capability is comparable and fairly good from the factory on all vehilces mentioned.

Just my 2 cents (I am new to the board - looking to buy an H2 soon)

I am very familiar with the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL products.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If your going to tow, whatever, be informed! here's some good info!

http://rvtowingtips.com/story.htm

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/