H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

Back in the day when I owned a 02 Ford Explorer I used to check to the Explorer Forum from time to time. One particular post which I found really interesting. Was a few people had disabled the all time 4 wheel drive by removing fuse "19" in the main fuse box. As some models of Explorers had full time all wheel drive. They were able to pull the fuse out to disengage the electronic transfer case in the front axle. This enabled the X to run on the rear drive only. The only recourse was a few people were saying the "Fasten seatbelt light" on the dash was illuminated all the time or it was the parking brake light on the instrument cluster was on. I decided to do this and I experienced the same light indications on the dash. But I was finally was able to do doughnuts in the parking lot and my gas mileage improved as well. I basically have made my Explorer into a 2 wheel drive only and no mechanical issues at all. Even after I had drove my Explorer for 5 months in this condition until I traded it in on the H3. I'm wondering if this can be done with the H3? I know some of you are hardcore off roaders, and disabling the 4wd is sacrilegious and all but I am just asking you technical gurus if this was possible. I would figured that pulling a fuse out effects the entire electrical system. But not sure to what degree on the Hummer. Anyone have any theories? F5 what’s your input Sir?
I know you will advise against it and I would value that. But just wondering if there is a certain fuse that would disable the front wheel drive on the H3?
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I would guess you are talking about to different animals though. The H3 is All Time 4 Wheel Drive where as the Explorer was All Wheel Drive wasn't it? As I understand it, these are really two different things.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

Hmmmmm, that is an interesting idead......but I don't think that would be possible. The transfer case is made by B-W, I think, and i don't think that they would but an extra gear just to make it 2-wheel drive. Extra cost would not go over to well. But if they did, sheet, I would do that mod in a heart beat along with the switch for the rear locker.

It would save me some money going to and from the office/ field and office to home at 717 miles one-way.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Steve - SanJose

Not a good idea for a lot of reasons that would take too long to list.

Some of which involves the well integrated ABS, vehicle stabilty, AWD systems. Not willing to sacrifice that for 0.75 mpg extra.

S.