H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Hummer Novice

PzYkED is on a distinguished road
Default Temporary/Permament fix to Air Suspension Problem

Hi!

I am a new member to this forum, been reading up on a bunch of things here at this forum for almost a year (A lot of helpful threads here, thx for that all ).

Finally decided it was about time to contribute and make myself known here .

I have had trouble with the air suspension for a long time, ever since i purchased the H2 about 1,5 years ago (just love this truck btw).

The first things i tried was to "help" the compressor by using an external air source to fill up the airbags using the outlet in the cargo area.

This helped raising it to proper level, but it would lose air after some days of driving. First i thought i had a leak somewhere in the bags or something.

I then put it in the extended ride height mode, and removed the relay near the front drivers side wheel and disconnecting the connectors to the compressor.

This worked and drove with extended ride height for almost 6 months without it the rear dropping at all.

Just recently i figured it was worth a try to do the same thing at normal ride height + about 1 inch higher than normal. The way i did that was reconnecting all the cables and relay. Then lower it down to normal by driving fast enough to let the system adjust down to normal height, then i measured the rear height and pressed the extended ride height button, helped it along by using external compressor and cut the power to the H2 (disconnected battery) when it had raised about 1 inch above normal ride height. Removed relay and connectors, then connected battery.

I have now been driving it like this for about 3 weeks without any leak or "service air suspension" message.

My impression is that the problem i have had with the H2 dropping is purely that the compressor is not strong enough anymore and instead of adjusting the height properly when connected, it lets air out trough the compressor system when it is connected and constantly running at times to fix minor adjustments to ride height.

So, i guess maybe i can keep the air system and bags, although it will be in a fixed position it will still ride like it should and i have the option to use an external compressor to get it to higher or lower ride height if i need it.

Hope this can help someone in the same situation as i had with the constant worry of the H2 suddenly dropping in the rear.

Included a pic the H2
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Temporary/Permament fix to Air Suspension Problem

Very nice, if you don't mind me asking, how availible are they becoming over there?

We have had just as many European members join lately as we have American, And from what I've seen around me, a search for local H2's has gone from 50 listings in 100 miles to a mere 3-4.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Hummer Novice

fllaw1 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Temporary/Permament fix to Air Suspension Problem

Temp fix! Been there done that! Avoid any future aggravation and major expense go with the springs ! No more worries.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41376
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Hummer Novice

Reply to iwillnc

I guess maybe theres alot of buyers of the H2 in eastern europe. My car has been in Norway since 2004, like most of the H2s were imported in 2004-2005 to Norway. The cost of the H2 with all seats in the car were almost 250.000 dollars back then They removed the back seats and put up a wall behind the front seats to lower taxes on the car, this is not possible anymore due to some new regulations so i dont think anyone is importing them anymore in Norway.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum.

I got a question for you, since you think it may be the compressor that is your problem have you checked to see if you have a inlet filter that could be plugged up restricting the air to the compressor causing it to overheat and shut down ? That was what my problem was I found out after pulling out all mine and switching to coils. Check the 12th picture down in this post to see what I mean http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24471 I think they started to use different filters later on but mine was all pugged up and would let the compressor run when I started the truck but then would over heat while driving and quit working till I shut it down and re-start later on.

Just a thought, Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzYkED
I am a new member to this forum
My impression is that the problem i have had with the H2 dropping is purely that the compressor is not strong enough anymore
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Hummer Novice

Hi Ed

I had read your post about that filter (i have read almost every post on this forum about the air suspension), and i did check it and remove it last summer. It was in about the same condition as yours.

The funny thing is that when i had removed it completely the air suspension worked like a charm for about 3 minutes when trying to get it to extended height. But later the same day the same old problems occured again. Tried putting on new filters and still no success. Seems like the compressor works as it should only on hot and dry days.

But as explained, im quite content with the way it is now, no leaks, fixed ride height and still have the airbags and the option to adjust ride height by connecting the system again and use external compressor
Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzYkED
Hi Ed

I had read your post about that filter (i have read almost every post on this forum about the air suspension), and i did check it and remove it last summer. It was in about the same condition as yours.

The funny thing is that when i had removed it completely the air suspension worked like a charm for about 3 minutes when trying to get it to extended height. But later the same day the same old problems occured again. Tried putting on new filters and still no success. Seems like the compressor works as it should only on hot and dry days.

But as explained, im quite content with the way it is now, no leaks, fixed ride height and still have the airbags and the option to adjust ride height by connecting the system again and use external compressor
Old 04-07-2015, 04:09 AM
Hummer Novice

clsimmon is on a distinguished road

After about 30 miles after just replacing my air springs my 2003 has all of a sudden lost all air in the suspension and is currently sitting on the bump stops. Service Suspension light came on, but I can't get it to show any longer. I don't have any codes in DTC which seems strange; even in history.

Compressor runs non-stop, and with the engine running tailgate open, I get good pressure from the schrader valve in the cargo compartment when I enable the compressor switch. So, it appears the compressor is doing its job, but why wouldn't the air bags inflate?

I thought about hooking an external compressor up to the cargo outlet to help me troubleshoot finding the leak, but i'm concerned I will blow a 1-way pressure valve doing something like that.

Is it a common airline from schrader valve in the cargo area to suspension springs, or does the cargo area have it's own line, and the suspension springs have their own lines and control?

If it was a common airline, wouldn't that be a bad design, because airing a tire up, would in fact deflate the suspension; correct? They must be on separate lines. Any ideas why I have good pressure in the cargo area, but not in the air springs? Any ideas on troubleshooting? I don't hear air leaking anywhere.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Hummer Authority

Check the lines with soapy water. I am thinking you have a leak that goes to one or the other air bag or the line was not attached to one of the air bags correctly and came loose so soon after being replaced.

Good Luck, Ed

P.S. I tried to look at one of my old pics to see what the junction block looked like but it was not a good pic of it :-(

Someone on here, jsbihn has my old service manuals maybe he can look up the line routing for you if he sees this post ;-)

Or, HUMTECH can answer your question, knows his sh!t about the H2's.

Last edited by Easy Ed : 04-07-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Ed, good to hear from you! I have an old thread in here somewhere when my 2006 SUT settled down on the stops. I took it back to Lynch and they replaced the compressor only under warranty and everything was fine for 7 years, except the switch in the bed for inflatables stopped working eventually and I had to replace it myself.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
Ed, good to hear from you! I have an old thread in here somewhere when my 2006 SUT settled down on the stops. I took it back to Lynch and they replaced the compressor only under warranty and everything was fine for 7 years, except the switch in the bed for inflatables stopped working eventually and I had to replace it myself.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

170,000 miles and the air suspension is doing great. I love it! I spray Armor All on the bags and lines a few times a year after I hose the underside and let it dry.