H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-12-2003, 02:44 AM

Doobs is off the scale

I just got my new H2 and I was thinking about putting the Kenwood KVT-911DVD unit in my truck, and wiring a backup camera to it. I was just wondering what everyone's feelings are with this head unit, is it worth the money? Are there better units out there? What are your experiences with it? Thanks.

-Adam
Old 02-12-2003, 02:44 AM

Doobs is off the scale

I just got my new H2 and I was thinking about putting the Kenwood KVT-911DVD unit in my truck, and wiring a backup camera to it. I was just wondering what everyone's feelings are with this head unit, is it worth the money? Are there better units out there? What are your experiences with it? Thanks.

-Adam
Old 02-12-2003, 04:52 AM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

Adam,

I have the exact same unit, unfortunately its not in either of my cars...yet. Its the best unit out there, in my honest opinion, and in many many others. I chose this head over all others, when building a 25000.00 system for my old WRX. It plays DVD's, it's touchscreen, you can hook your backup camera up to it no problem (I was actually going to put it in my H2 with a backup cam as well), and it looks great. Kenwood is a great product when it comes to head units, they're my favorite.

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06
Old 02-12-2003, 01:08 PM

HUMMBABY is off the scale

Adam - I have the Kenwood unit in multiple vehicles and have no problems with any of them. I am installing another one in the H2 and debating on adding the Kenwood NAV system (which is fairly pricey - another $2500). You will be very happy with the KVT and yes it is worth the money.

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Happy Hummer is off the scale

Adam,

I have the alpine DVD nav and I plan to upgrade to the kenwood 8" touchscreen nav system. A good friend of mine owns a radio shop and he said that kenwood was lowering the DVD nav in March/April by $1,000. Just a little FYI for ya.

ROB

2003 Hummer H2, Black Lux. Pkg, Breathless HID lights and Stage 2B engine kit, Mazzi Maximus 18" chrome wheels and BFG 35X12.50 18 KM Mud Terrain Tires, Alpine DVD Navigation System, Myron & Davis 7" headrest monitors, Audiovox 10 disc DVD Changer, XM Delphi Satellite radio, NSXTC DRL upgrade
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Dodge Viper SRT/10 #150
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod 2 Tone Anniversary Edition
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/robydi2001
2009 Mercedes C63 AMG
2008 Harley Screamin Eagle Ultra
2006 Wild West Custom Chopper
Old 02-13-2003, 01:29 PM

1stHummer is off the scale

I don't get it...why would you spend $2000 on the Kenwood unit (which is just a in-dash DVD player) when the Pioneer NAVSYS900DVD includes a in-dash DVD unit and a state-of-the-art navigation system (www.discountmaven.com/navsys900dvd.html) for $1800. Can a touch-screen be worth that much ?

Roy.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Roy - Do you have the Pioneer unit or are you still doing research? It looks like a nice set up, especilly for the money. I have a few of the KVT's and have been very happy with them. My selling point was not the touch screen (even though it is pretty cool) but rather the expandability of the unit and the array of settings it allowed.

I will do a little digging on my own about the Pioneer. Curiosity has the better of me.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:17 AM

Hummbaby,

No question about it, the Kenwood unit is "cool", but it's only major downside is cost. In any event, this has clearly not affected the sales of this unit (http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layou...leid=CA234800).

However, if you'd like to save $2000, the Pioneer unit needs serious examination. Dan Mohabir wrote a very nice review of this unit (http://www.gpsinformation.net/articles/pioneernav.htm), and about his DIY installation into a Trailblazer. Suffice it to say that installing it in a Trailblazer appears no more difficult to install in a Hummer (i.e. the General hates aftermarket installation, and if they could, they would tie engine management into the radio to prevent aftermarket radios from being compatible )

I do have the Pioneer unit, but in my Corvette. I likely will buy another for my H2.

Roy.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:21 AM

Sorry. The links above should have been:

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layou...cleid=CA234800

http://www.gpsinformation.net/articles/pioneernav.htm

For some reason, the links extended to the characters following them.

Roy.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:25 PM

Great articles, thanks for the post. The only issue which I can see from the install is the screen blocking the air vents when it is activated. The KVT having a single unit can be mounted lower to prevent this. A small bump that can be overcome. I will be checking the unit out this weekend.

Cheers.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:33 AM

TX T H2 is off the scale

I have been looking at a number of the obvious choices to install an A/V setup in my H2. First decision was to go with the tech advantages provided by the flip-up models over the, albeit better looking install, dash mounted screen w/ aux components (eg Rosen r6500 or NECVOX 9690). The screen covering the air vents and/or other equipment is definitely an issue that is going to get under my skin. I have a local installer checking on the following potential setup: 1) move the a/c controls (and possibly the on-star switches) to the stock head-unit DIN, 2) install flip-up head unit (Ken 911, Pio 9300, Alpine D900) to the current a/c din and 3) center channel speaker to the stock on-star slot. Anybody have any insight on that possible setup? My installer believes that if the a/c unit is all electric (no vaccum tubes) it can be done. He is doing a Nav install on another H2 next week and is going to check and see if this idea will work. As for the comparison of units, I change my mind daily: Ken 911 appears to be the most complete package w/ nav, lz 800 monitors, dts/5.1 decoder, centerchannel, sirius. However the pioneer 9300 has the dts/5.1 decoder built into the head unit and the nav system is voice controlled (some features, not all) instead of touch screen; monitor is also fully auto open/close and has a manual swivel feature. It sounds like the new Alpine D900 is going to be the next generation of video quality and has most if not all the same features of the Ken and Pio units, but who knows when you can actually get your hands on one and how many arms you'll have to cutoff to pay for it? I really have gotten alot of great info from this forum and welcome any additional insight. FYI: any of you who have not already read some of Jonathan's, in this forum, takes on a/v equipment should take a look and/or contact him. His shop did an outrageous Pioneer install and he has been helpful with several questions. bc

"Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea!" Jed Clampett