H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

adamw89_2000 is on a distinguished road
Default installing touchscreen in my 05 sut

ive been searching for countless days now and still not a direct answer to my question... i have an 05 h2 sut, no lux or adventure series.. i think... it has standard 6 disk cd player and radio. im wanting to install an aftermarket navigation/dvd/ touchscreen in it.... not sure on what model yet but what all do i have to install with the unit? my local stereo shops wont touch a hummer they said..... to much in them... i know it can be done with right adapters but what all will i need to retain my factory onstar/chimes/ and radio control functions? thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

etmyers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: installing touchscreen in my 05 sut

I think I got the info for mine off of here. I have a spare GM adapater if you need it, I think it is the one to make the onstar and door chimes work. Its new in the package. I will check and let you know tomorrow if you are interested.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

You?ll need like 3 adapters. One for the chimes, one for the steering wheel contollers and a GM adapter one.

I did my last H2 and it worked perfectly. I haven?t done so with this one but the stock naviagation unit SUCKS.

I had my stereo shop install an adapter so I can use my iphone and also a bypass switch so I can enter info into the navigation while driving. (hated that safety setup)

Your stereo shop that says they won?t touch it must be a piece of crap shop. I assure you working on the H2 is no harder than many other cars. You just need to have the correct adapters.

Mark
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

draconianruler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
You?ll need like 3 adapters. One for the chimes, one for the steering wheel contollers and a GM adapter one.

I did my last H2 and it worked perfectly. I haven?t done so with this one but the stock naviagation unit SUCKS.

I had my stereo shop install an adapter so I can use my iphone and also a bypass switch so I can enter info into the navigation while driving. (hated that safety setup)

Your stereo shop that says they won?t touch it must be a piece of crap shop. I assure you working on the H2 is no harder than many other cars. You just need to have the correct adapters.

Mark
Do they sell the bypass switch somewhere? I too HATE not being able to use my nav while moving.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconianruler
Do they sell the bypass switch somewhere? I too HATE not being able to use my nav while moving.
You typically need to ground the parking brake wire to make the nav think you're parked.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Hummer Novice

cgalford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconianruler

How to bypass depends on the nav unit you get.

An H2 is no different from a similar year full size truck/SUV, just more panels to take off to get the unit (did several when I was an installer). This will spell out what you need:

www.metraonline.com
Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
You typically need to ground the parking brake wire to make the nav think you're parked.

My installer installed a switch that somehow interrupted the speed sensor on the wheels. It made the computer think the truck wasn?t rolling.

Technically you can still use the GPS without flipping it back but it can?t lock onto the signal (GPS) to identify your location precisely until you flip it back.

Out of all the vehicles I have ever owned with nav, the one in the H2 is the absolute worst. It?s freakin? archaic and not user friendly. It takes so long to respond to inputting the alphabet, I?d forget where the hell I wanted to go.

God I hate that thing... (but at least I know no one will steal the POS)

Mark
Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
My installer installed a switch that somehow interrupted the speed sensor on the wheels. It made the computer think the truck wasn?t rolling.

Technically you can still use the GPS without flipping it back but it can?t lock onto the signal (GPS) to identify your location precisely until you flip it back.

Out of all the vehicles I have ever owned with nav, the one in the H2 is the absolute worst. It?s freakin? archaic and not user friendly. It takes so long to respond to inputting the alphabet, I?d forget where the hell I wanted to go.

God I hate that thing... (but at least I know no one will steal the POS)

Mark
Some installers won't put those in any more. The AVIC I used previously needed the parking brake cable grounded and my installer "showed" me how to do it, but wouldn't do it for me.