H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

i hate dealers. normal?

GM can't make a TPM system that works and the dealer says its normal. that makes sense.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

i hate dealers. normal?

GM can't make a TPM system that works and the dealer says its normal. that makes sense.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Doubt if it's "normal" but mine seems to go off a few times a week??????
Old 11-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

When it cools down...sorry, in Texas, it only cools down. When it gets cold your tire pressure will go down. That's physics. Add some air to your tires and you should be fine.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

System going off is not normal, unless air temps drop, lowering the air pressure in the tires to the calibration point.
As for dealers statement, it depends on the reason. If air temps drop 40-50 degrees in one day and tires are one or two psi below recommended pressure...yes, the system will go off until the tires warm and pressure increases.
If dealer says it is normal to go off when temps don't decrease, and air pressures are ok, then dealer is clueless.
For the dealer, they have hundreds of people this time of the year bringing their vehicle in for service due to the tire pressure system going off. So far, 98% of those claims (for all GM vehicles and I would bet it was the same for all other), are due to the air pressures in the tires being set below the recommended pressure, and the temps drop at night.
It happened to me a few weeks ago, and after adding about 3 psi to each tire on Saturday morning, it has not come one since.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

i took mine in for that same problem and have never had it since.. they can fix it
Old 11-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Same here. They fixed it.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here they fixed it.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

probably by putting air in the tire... :-P
Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Its simple light goes on check and add air to tires as needed.I added air last week and light dont come on in morning anymore.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

TA8088 is off the scale

Mine was doing the same thing as soon as I picked it up. I added air and it hasn't done it again except for one night when there was a huge temperature drop.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

I believe the key to solving most TPM warnings is to invest in a portable air compressor. Then air up your tires to the required psi on a cold morning before you have driven the Hummer. This should take care of most TPM warning lights.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarthKarl:
I believe the key to solving most TPM warnings is to invest in a portable air compressor. Then air up your tires to the required psi on a cold morning before you have driven the Hummer. This should take care of most TPM warning lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly...
And if you have large temp flucuations between evening and morning, and the light goes off after driving a few miles...who cares.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

how about a TPMS that takes into account the climate so people don't have to constantly fill up their tires with air. eventually, people will have so many warnings that they will ignore the TPM and be in real trouble when they really have a flat tire.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bender:
eventually, people will have so many warnings that they will ignore the TPM and be in real trouble when they really have a flat tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my concern as well. I believe the best engineering solution is to alter the software that does the monitoring. When the rig starts up and the system does its initial check, if the psi is extremely low then the warning should indeed go off to let the driver know there is a problem. However if the initial under-pressurization is more marginal (due to a cold morning for example) the software shouldn’t immediately trigger a warning until the rig has had some time to drive and to warm the tires.

If people get a lot of TPM warnings they’ll learn to ignore all of them even a serious one. Loosening up the software constraints a bit might solve a lot of problems - especially for the more ordinary driver who doesn’t hang out on Hummer boards
Old 11-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Who do you think the law was designed for, the non-board member vehicle owners. People who never check their air pressures, the people who drive across the desert in the summer with their tires underinflated and suddenly see the world from upside down.

Mine have gone off once, and here in MI the temps have fluctuated from 60s and 70s during the day to high 20s at night. I really don't see what the problem is.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

No, that's not normal. I had mine go off in cold weather, but I had a low tire (only about 4 psi low) and airing it fixed it. You might need to have a sensor replaced - but that is not normal!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

i just checked my tires and all of them read about 30 PSI with both the words "low tire pressure" on the cluster as well as the yellow warning light. i filled them to around 35 PSI and the warnings went away. its about 60 degrees out now. we'll see what happens tonight when it gets down to like 30-40 degrees.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Were the tires cold (vehicle not driven for about 3 hours) when you filled the air?
If the tires were cold when pressure was increased to 35 psi, and it is 60 degrees, and it drops to 30 degrees tonight, the tire pressure should reduce to 32 psi. I don't believe this should set off the system warning.
From what I have seen it appears to be around 30 psi and lower.
If the tires were warm, the cold tire pressure might be actually around 33 psi.
Either way, 30 psi is low for a tire that is supposed to be inflated to 35 psi when the tire is cold. It also appears the system is operating correctly, if you added air and the sensor warning went away.

It is normal to have to adjust air pressures during times when the ambient air temperatures either drop or increase.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

i drove it about 2 miles to the gas station as soon as i woke up this AM...so it sat about 12 hours overnight in the cold. they were at ~30 PSI after the quick 2 mile drive.