H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

JV1 is off the scale

Don't know how long this link will be live:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/03/Auto...reut/index.htm
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

JV1 is off the scale

Don't know how long this link will be live:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/03/Auto...reut/index.htm
Old 11-03-2005, 07:48 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

I wonder if any of that money is going to make it so they can accept the disel or v-8 or whatever.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
I wonder if any of that money is going to make it so they can accept the disel or v-8 or whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not for next year in regard to the V8. The V8 is not a drop in and drive like the diesel is, especially since they will be producing diesel powered H3s in a few months for overseas.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Not for next year in regard to the V8. The V8 is not a drop in and drive like the diesel is, especially since they will be producing diesel powered H3s in a few months for overseas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

F5: Any idea if the H3 diesel will be California-legal? I think the dumb CA ban on diesels has prevented most makers from pursuing it for the US, since CA is a huge segment of the overall US market.

I think CA diesel legality is based on GVW. Anyone can buy a 3/4 ton pick-up with a huge diesel, but 50mpg VWs are illegal. Go figure. The intent is to permit diesels for commercial use, but an eyeball survey shows far more heavy diesel pickups are commuters than in commercial use.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:21 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

so if next year you buy the diesel will it be made in South Africa rather than Shrevport?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

That is a problem with living in Kaliforina is thet they are anti diesel and a in their thinking diesels pollute. I hope that changes one day or they won't let the diesel Hummer in unless it is used.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
so if next year you buy the diesel will it be made in South Africa rather than Shrevport? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but the engine that they are using for overseas could be shipped to Shreveport for install.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DWPC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Not for next year in regard to the V8. The V8 is not a drop in and drive like the diesel is, especially since they will be producing diesel powered H3s in a few months for overseas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

F5: Any idea if the H3 diesel will be California-legal? I think the dumb CA ban on diesels has prevented most makers from pursuing it for the US, since CA is a huge segment of the overall US market.

I think CA diesel legality is based on GVW. Anyone can buy a 3/4 ton pick-up with a huge diesel, but 50mpg VWs are illegal. Go figure. The intent is to permit diesels for commercial use, but an eyeball survey shows far more heavy diesel pickups are commuters than in commercial use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea; however, I'll give Arnold a call.

Can Arnold get a new H1 Alpha with the CA anti-diesel laws?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Can Arnold get a new H1 Alpha with the CA anti-diesel laws? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diesel H1's are OK in CA. I was once told diesel legality was based on a ratio of mfr's total fleet emissions, but since only diesel trucks seem to be permitted, GVW ratings seem to factor in as well. I searched DMV and CARB websites to try to find the controlling reg, but came up empty. VW did sell a few diesels in CA in 2003, but the state came down hard on them.

Anyway, I think Ahnold got a specially built hydrogen-powered H1 and is having the State build fueling stations.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

When the diesel H3 comes out, they will sell 3 times the amount of H3's selling currently.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XM DUDE:
When the diesel H3 comes out, they will sell 3 times the amount of H3's selling currently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Estimated increase in sales is 20-30 percent more for diesel sales in the US per the marketing people. In addition, if diesel fuel remains .90 higher than regular, they might not see that amount of increase. The small increase in mileage plus the higher price of fuel, plus the initial cost for the diesel option would limit sales.
I would bet, due to US standards, a V8 will increase sales faster, as long as they still get decent mileage.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

...if diesel fuel remains .90 higher than regular... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is diesel 90 cents more than regular? Here in SoCA, diesel is about the same or slightly higher than premium, or about 10% more than regular (35-40 cents).

Any hints about which engines are being considered? If Hummer goes for a similar displacement turbodiesel, I think 30% better mileage isn't unreasonable, and it should provide a lot more torque. So realistically, there would be a 20% savings in fuel costs with somewhat improved performance.

Will trans and transfer case capacity be an issue?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I have never really thought about it but a diesel has just never appealed to me. I think fstop is spot on that a V8 would increase sales more than a diesel option. Just my 2 cents but I would be all over a V8 option before a diesel.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
I guess I have never really thought about it but a diesel has just never appealed to me. I think fstop is spot on that a V8 would increase sales more than a diesel option. Just my 2 cents but I would be all over a V8 option before a diesel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on your priorities. A V8 is attractive for performance, but the past three months showed that the bloom goes off that rose fast at 3 bucks a gallon. Who knows where gas will be in 2 years? Maybe $2.50? or maybe $5? Imagine a 25+ mpg H3 with better torque and a diesel becomes very attractive, especially if you rack up lots of miles.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

We just dropped below $2.50 a gallon that past couple of days here. I think for me it really comes down to the fact that I am used to V8 mileage and don't put on that many miles. I have never had anything smaller than a turbo V6 in my life so I guess that might have something to do with it as well. Any H3 with a diesel would sound great too.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

We have a few 303HP "Displacement on Demand" V8's sitting around the plant here, any body interested?
(28mpg in the Impala SS)

I'm taking orders.......lol

(I'm just kidding about the orders thing)