H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, we live in the mountains and need better headlights, the stock ones are woefully inadequate. I don't want anything bolt on. I read the other posts, are the 100w highbeams bad for the vehicle? Can they be redone to utilize the stock wiring to run relays and power the headlights directly from the battery?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Hi folks, we live in the mountains and need better headlights, the stock ones are woefully inadequate. I don't want anything bolt on. I read the other posts, are the 100w highbeams bad for the vehicle? Can they be redone to utilize the stock wiring to run relays and power the headlights directly from the battery?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Get an HID conversion. You will be glad you did!!
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:42 PM

H3H is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Get an HID conversion. You will be glad you did!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get the bi-xenons from?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

100w bulbs push the limit of the 10 amp fuse (one for each headlamp). What people don't seem to understand is that generators fluctuate their output, and in the winter with all accessories on, it might drop to below 10 volts, if only for a split second.
The PCM which regulates the generator's output does not increase output instantaneously since this could shorten the life of the generator. (Ever notice how your lights may dim for a second when the brakes are applied?)
However, there are bulbs out there that draw 55/65W, but state they output the equivalent of 100W on the highbeam. Not sure if this is all that true.

I haven't checked, but I don't see why you couldn't cut the feed wire, run the headlamp side of the cut feed wire through a relay and power it directly off the battery. Just use the feedwire from the BCM to the relay to turn it on when the headlamps are turned on.
If the lights do not turn on then, you might have to install a resistor in the BCM wire to fake out the BCM into thinking there is a bulb on the other end. This might or might not be necessary. Not sure if the H3's BCM is designed to shut down the circuit if no resistance is sensed.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:18 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

The BCM monitors current to the lamps?
Is ther a bulb failure indication feature?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

According to the application guide, your bulbs are H13. Here is a link to a conversion kit for the your H3
http:// www. xtralights .com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=31
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Get an HID conversion. You will be glad you did!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get the bi-xenons from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking at the literature for the kit that kodiak is talking about, it's only 3.2A. The HID seems to put out more light, less current. I may just try them.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WPBGUY:
The BCM monitors current to the lamps?
Is ther a bulb failure indication feature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No bulb indication failure, but the BCM controls all lights. Can't verify at this time if the BCM controls each circuit separately or via via a relay.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Huck BB62:
Hi folks, we live in the mountains and need better headlights, the stock ones are woefully inadequate. I don't want anything bolt on. I read the other posts, are the 100w highbeams bad for the vehicle? Can they be redone to utilize the stock wiring to run relays and power the headlights directly from the battery? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm using the high wattage bulb 80/100, 5000K at present until I can find a good HID that has both Hi/Low beam with the look of a traditional headlight rather than projector. I had to upgrade the wiring and run seperate relay and fuse directly from the battery. Much improvement from stock lighting.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">until I can find a good HID that has both Hi/Low beam with the look of a traditional headlight rather than projector </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Once you've seen the huge imporvements in light dispersion and direction provided by projectors, you probably would not want to give them up!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

HUMRCHIC is off the scale

Just reading through doing a little research. I bought these..Xenon Bulbs

Do I need a conversion kit? or do I just unplug the old ones and pop these in?

See where other H3 owners are. Click Here

http://www.frappr.com/hummerh3owners

Join our Hummer Community and CHAT live with other H3 owners!!!
http://groups.msn.com/H3Owners
Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMRCHIC:
Just reading through doing a little research. I bought these..Xenon Bulbs

Do I need a conversion kit? or do I just unplug the old ones and pop these in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pop and plug. I did this and am not happy at all with the results. Looking into the HID conversion setup.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Oh No, What happened? And what don't you like?

Old 02-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

I found these HID conversions on ebay for about $200.00. But, I noticed that when converted you lose the High Beam function. Has anyone else done the convertion, and if so are the low beams bright enogh to not need the highs?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMRCHIC:
Oh No, What happened? And what don't you like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though the lights are a cool blue color, it seems they are not as bright as the original Halogens. The headlights were very easy to install, make sure to keep your fingers off of the glass, so try them and see what you think, but do not throw away the originals.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Really? It says they provide 75% more light than halogens. May I ask what brand your are?
I'm starting to fret about it.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale

Check my previous post about my bulb switch. In a nutshell, the headlights look cool but actually produce/project less light, while the foglights are really quite bright (making you more visible, and lighting up the road better, in adverse weather.New lightbulb install
Old 02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Hummer Expert

I just properly adjusted my headlights (1.5 turns counterclockwise) and the world is good. Seems like they have them too low from the factory. The factory lamps, properly adjusted work great.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

usmctopgun is off the scale

I am not sure what size the H3 has, but I put a set of these in my H2. I love them, a BIG improvement over stock. I also replaced my DRL's with the PIAA 3157.
PIAA 9007