H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canlt Get Key Out!!

When I turn my engine off and put the truck in park, my key won't come out. It seems its in the acc. mode and I can't turn it all the way back to release the key out of the ignition????

Any help please......
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

SteveGt is off the scale
Default Re: Canlt Get Key Out!!

Did you try cranking the steering wheel all the way to the left or right whyll trying to remove the key?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2
When I turn my engine off and put the truck in park, my key won't come out. It seems its in the acc. mode and I can't turn it all the way back to release the key out of the ignition????

Any help please......

Sounds like the wire broke off the shifter harness. Just take off the shifter then pop off the up/cover and there will be a white connector at the base of the shifter with many wires connected to it. In my case the red wire was brittle and kept snapping off. I just cut the bad wire off a spliced a heavier and more flexible gauge wire in its place. To get your key out in the mean time pop open the plastic cover around the ignition and push in the metal solenoid plunger location directly under the lock cylinder while you turn the key back.

Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Hummer Expert

okasy. hers the update. I dont have any loose wires on the shifter. The only way to get the key out of the ignition is the solenoid release. Any other ideas why this is happening?
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Metallic Red is on a distinguished road

Do a quick check of your fuses. Sometimes a blown fuse can have an effect of other accessories. Hope this helps.

ED
Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

FGHT ON is on a distinguished road

I had this happen to mine . . . my plastic shifter kept coming lose and sliding down and scratching the bezel so I took it off moved it up and tightened the screw all the way down but then the key wouldn't come out because there is some sensor that wasn't getting depressed.. Make sure your shifter cover is all the way down on the "black pole like thing" inside your shifter with the screw lining up perfectly, and then tighten the screw all the way in the hole.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

jdrew is on a distinguished road

you also may want to try and turn the key forward and move the shifter to D then back to P making sure it's all the way in P.. I have had that happen a few times before and it worked...

H.O.P.E. Member
Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGHT ON
I had this happen to mine . . . my plastic shifter kept coming lose and sliding down and scratching the bezel so I took it off moved it up and tightened the screw all the way down but then the key wouldn't come out because there is some sensor that wasn't getting depressed.. Make sure your shifter cover is all the way down on the "black pole like thing" inside your shifter with the screw lining up perfectly, and then tighten the screw all the way in the hole.

Everything lines up perfectly..... I feel like a thief!! Everytime I park, I have to pull out a flat head screwdriver and stick it in the plastic and hit the solenoid!! Talk about ghetto.... lol
Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic Red
Do a quick check of your fuses. Sometimes a blown fuse can have an effect of other accessories. Hope this helps.

ED

I'll check that later on tonight.. I'll give an update...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Elcova Rookie

Lampooner is on a distinguished road

This can be caused by your battery starting to go south. Accordimng to my mechanic, my 2006 H2 has a starter which he described as having planatery gearing. He said it will actually start the H2 with as little as 10 volts. The key release is voltage controlled and the drop from a battery starting to fail will cause the problem.

I replaced battery with an Optima Yellow top. A couple of days later the Optima failed with the same symptoms. That's when I took it in, thought it was the charging system. Turned out to be the new Optima, rteplaced it, has worked fine after that.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Elcova Rookie

mklonaris1 is on a distinguished road

Hey...does anyone know the wiring order in the connector for the shift lock mechanism. When I went in to check for a broken wire there was one and when I pulled the connector out I pulled some other wires out. Now I dont know what order they go in. The connector has labels on each slot ....A, B, C, D, E and F. I have 5 wires... Red, Yellow, Black, Green/Blk, and Green/Wht

Can anyone help?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

vandy0090 is on a distinguished road

and now im having this problem. i think its becasue my wife dropped a lage sweet tea a couple days ago and the put broke on the shifter and the whole sweet tea went all over the center console. now shes having a hard time gettin her keys out. lets hope its just sticky down there.. i guess ill find some time to pull it apart