H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Hummer Novice

dictionaaron is on a distinguished road
Default Oil life indicator

Does anyone actually pay attention to the oil like indicator. Mine says 76 percent remaining and ive driven 2500 miles. It says the suggested mileage for an oil change is like 10,500 which is obviously wrong as two boys on a motor cycle. I know ive never reset it so is it just horribly inacurate or something or could i have a problem somewhere.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil life indicator

There all like that you can go 10k to 12k depending on how you drive.
Going that long without a oil change is crazy.

I switched to mobil 1 syn and go 6k between oil changes.
I reset the indicator .At about 6k I have 50 to 55% left I change the oil again and dont reset, then in another 6k when its down near 0 to 5% left I do another change and reset.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Where can you see the oil life remaining percentage on an H3 without a Tech 2?

With 2500 miles, 76 percent remaining could be accurate. All depends on the ambient temps, how long the engine is run between ignition cycles, etc. If you are taking long trips at constant speeds, the oil life does not increase that quickly. If you are taking one or two mile trips, in the middle of winter, not allowing the engine to warmup, the oil life will decrease rapidly.
The alorithms are pretty damn accurate and GM has tested this system over and over to prove it is accurate.
Just have to make sure to use oil that meets or exceeds the oil spec supplied in the owner's manual. Using a lower grade oil will not result in accurate oil life display since the oil life monitoring system, is based on an oil that meets the GM spec. (Using an oil that exceeds the oil spec given, will cause the system to be innacurate, but at least it is innacurate in that the oil would not have to be changed as often.)
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

i dont understand why people think going that long without changing oil is insane? GM says its not. I've actually had my oil sampled at places in my older cars and its true. Your oil is fine. Your oil is not breaking down as fast as you think. Maybe in the old days when every oil wasnt some form of synthetic blend. But now its just wrong. Besides oil filters are now more advanced also. Im not changing my oil till the truck tells me. I've changed oil once after break in and im at 11,500 miles now. I intend on following the owners manual.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Where can you see the oil life remaining percentage on an H3 without a Tech 2?

Its in the monthly emails from Onstar.

Name:  onstar.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  15.9 KB

Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

flkeysff is off the scale

I too am following the oil life indicator as per the dealer that sold me the car. I have built many engines over the years and have seen what oil is capable of doingto an engine if it is not maintained. That is why, if you are going to follow the indicator I would use either Mobile 1 15000 mile oil or use Amsoil. Both of these oils guarantee the oil for extended oil drain intervals. Mobile 15,000 miles and Amsoil 12,000 unless you use there By-pass filter and then I believe it puts it to 25,000 miles. I actually haven't checked on mobile 1's guarantee but Amsoil is a written guarantee and if anything goes wrong with your engine due to oil they will fix or replace the engine at there discression.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Its in the monthly emails from Onstar.

Attachment 33775

Forgot about Onstar, since I cancelled them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkeysff
That is why, if you are going to follow the indicator I would use either Mobile 1 15000 mile oil or use Amsoil.
As for using synthetic oil....not necesssary in this day and age of advanced oil processing and adatives. But, it sure won't hurt.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaaaT
i dont understand why people think going that long without changing oil is insane? GM says its not. I've actually had my oil sampled at places in my older cars and its true. Your oil is fine. Your oil is not breaking down as fast as you think. Maybe in the old days when every oil wasnt some form of synthetic blend. But now its just wrong. Besides oil filters are now more advanced also. Im not changing my oil till the truck tells me. I've changed oil once after break in and im at 11,500 miles now. I intend on following the owners manual.

But "changed oil once after break in"? What break-in? I thought they stopped delivering vehicles filled with break-in oil years ago. I have the same oil that was in the engine when I took delivery and have about 5,200 miles on it. Did I phuk up and forget something?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3PAC
But "changed oil once after break in"? What break-in? I thought they stopped delivering vehicles filled with break-in oil years ago. I have the same oil that was in the engine when I took delivery and have about 5,200 miles on it. Did I phuk up and forget something?

I believe what he is talking about is the philosophy of changing your oil in the first 2K to take out any possible metal particles from initial wear in of the engine. GM does not use any unique oil for the engines in new vehicles.
Some still do this, some say it is not necessary due to the hardened cylinder sleeves and rings and new filter media used in modern filters. Engine wear diagnosis shows it is not necessary; BUT, I did the initial change at 2K.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

Malibu1 is off the scale

AMSOIL's full synthetic line has a replacement recommendation of 25,000 to 35,000, depending on which model/grade oil you buy. Their semi-syn line is 7500. Their new line of oil filters (EaO) are able to last 25,000 miles also. You can't go wrong with their products.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:05 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
I believe what he is talking about is the philosophy of changing your oil in the first 2K to take out any possible metal particles from initial wear in of the engine. GM does not use any unique oil for the engines in new vehicles.
Some still do this, some say it is not necessary due to the hardened cylinder sleeves and rings and new filter media used in modern filters. Engine wear diagnosis shows it is not necessary; BUT, I did the initial change at 2K.

So even YOU base some of your decisions on Voodoo? Et tu, Brute? I don't know quite how to handle this. I'm in shock. I guess I'll have to go back to the old way I scheduled my maintenance :

Name:  Ouija.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  4.2 KB
Old 12-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

na i changed the oil after the break in cause dealer did it for free. I wouldnt have done it otherwise. Its probly not needed. I also went to paragon and did some serious offroading with 200 miles on the truck so i figured itd be good for it.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Hummer Professional

aaaaah. OK. I think the dealer told me to come in at 7,500 miles even if the oil change message didn't appear so they could rotate the tires and lube the muffler bearings or something. It will be interesting to see when my first oil change will be. This is a tough one for someone that grew up being told that you have to change your oil every 3,000 miles. Of course they also told me I was going to go blind if I kept spending so much time...well, that's another story.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Here's an interesting link to some folks who have done an indepedent study... http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3PAC
So even YOU base some of your decisions on Voodoo? Et tu, Brute? I don't know quite how to handle this. I'm in shock. I guess I'll have to go back to the old way I scheduled my maintenance :

Attachment 33815

Old habits are hard to die.