H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Horns?

Hey all,
I am looking to replace my stock horns with something more beastly. I mean here is a H2 that has the same horn sound as my Vette (which could easily be rolled over by the H2).

I would like to find something more like a Semi/ 18 wheeler horn.
I would like to find it easy to install
I would like to find it as cheap as possible

Let me know what you come up with
Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Horns?

This is what I have, but I suggest you keep your stock horn intact. Love it!! I have 4 horns (2 front & 2 in the back) at about 200psi
http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php?video=55

This will piss people off in the worst way. I think twice before honking it, but a select few were well deserving of it I would highly advise not blowing it near train tracks. Traffic will come to a scretching hault. These H2s are already public enemy #1, so in these big H2s, people already know who it is., so they think. I was at a Starbucks(boxed in style plaza with great acoustic) on a hot summer Saturday barely getting in my truck when someone else honked their air horn and everyone on the outside patio looked at me and threw their hands in the air in a "wtf" tone of gesture. , but it wasnt me. I was confused myself on where it came from. Maybe that nissan sentra?

Last edited by StockStar : 02-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

racer24 is on a distinguished road

I have the air horns that fit just for the H2 on the firewall. They look great and sound even better. You can use them to pump up tires and what not, Just click on the SOMO custom accessories on this website and go to specialty parts. They are made by Hadley which is known for firetruck horns which I know personally. They are loud.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Stockstar,
Thanks for the info.
Given I am not looking for train horns. I am just looking for a good beefy horn that will let people know "get out the way". I am looking for something that sounds more like a 18-wheeler or "big rig" horn.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Hey guys,
I appreciate the responses.
Heres the thing...
I am looking for something that sounds like a good Big Rig horn, without the Big dollar price.

It doesnt have to be an air horn, just as long as it is loud enough to move people, and it doesnt have the meep meep stock horn sound.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

You will certainly find out when you buy aftermarket parts for HUMMER's they are not CHEAP. Just look around for what you want on ebay or craigslist for what you want.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Yes but that doesnt mean you have to pay top dollar for them.

I have found through my years of aftermarket parts buying that some people get sucked into the parts biz easily. You say Hummer this or that, Vette this or that, or whatever and it gives you a license to mark up things that normally would only cost a few dollars. Alot of times it is just the market share... you know "Hey these guys must have money since they have expensive cars". Thats understandable, but that doesnt mean we should pay a premium just because. Kind of like some of those people paying 5-6k over sticker to get a VW? WTF!! But they did it and it allowed the dealers to keep charging them.

So I try to find the best and the cheapest way to do things.
Sure eBay is good, and other internet venues.
Just because I might have the money doesnt mean I want to spend it so carelessly.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a word of caution on air horns - I had them on my old F350 dually and they can REALLY piss people off. My favorite horns that you can find very reasonably on EBay if you keep looking are the late 50s and early 60s Cadillac 12v two tone horns. I had them on the Vehicross and loved them.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockStar
. I was at a Starbucks(boxed in style plaza with great acoustic) on a hot summer Saturday barely getting in my truck when someone else honked their air horn and everyone on the outside patio looked at me and threw their hands in the air in a "wtf" tone of gesture. , but it wasnt me. I was confused myself on where it came from. Maybe that nissan sentra?

I was in a line of trafffic where someone honked with loud air horns (not me) after a Cardinals baseball game and everyone assumed it was my H2 and looked at me and my wife, one teen even shot me the bird. Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Yeah,
I am not sure of air horns or just horns that sound similar to a Big Rig air horn.

To me it doesnt matter, just looking for something to get rid of the meep meep sound that the H2 horn has.

As for people disrespecting you after you blow it......

Hey I dont care since the only reason I am honking it is if someone is disrespecting me (ie. not moving out the way).

Given, I think it would also be great to have a siren feature, since usually the only time I honk my horn is when I am running an emergency call and I need to get there ASAP and though even with lights flashing, people still wont move out of the way.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Didn't mean to piss you off bud. I didn't mean anything by saying you couldnt afford it. The horns I got for mine came off here. I bought them from TTLex for two hundred bucks instead of the seven hundred they want from dealer. I think I'm a little older than you and this isn't my first rodeo on buying parts. I always look around before I buy anything. But look on ebay and such though and prices are always higher than I would like to pay. So shop around before you buy.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM

I am not pissed off.
Trust me I am pretty easy going.

I just get on a soap box when I hear people say "hey its a (fill in the blank), you got to pay to play" type comments. I grew up building cars, making custom parts and adapting others. I just think the pay to play thing is a little over done. I mean parts are parts, you just have to figure out how to get em in there

So the cost shouldnt be outrageous just because its a more expensive car. Why does a Honda go in to a speed shop and have a intake and exhaust put on, and it costs $600 in parts and $200 in labor..... BUT in a BMW goes in to have an intake and exhaust put on, it cost $1500 in parts and $300-400 in labor.

Anyways, I agree. I am just trying to find a good set of horns that will mimic what a 18-wheeler horn will sound like and since I am not familiar with any of the horn sounds out there, I figured I would ask what others had and their experiences and costs.

As for the age, I have a feeling we are closer then you think. I am 40
Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

I also have hornblaster's train horns, they are fun!

Check out this thread, it describes mine but has some other good options too:
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ighlight=train