H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

BUNNY15 is on a distinguished road
Default WTH...Smelling gas/Fuel pump went out

Just curious if this is a common problem out there? I searched this forum, but didn't run across anything too quickly. Saturday night (raining), I'm headed to get the dog from the groomer. I pull into the parking lot to park and the 2 just cut off. All electronics were still working but it wouldn't run. It would crank but wouldn't fire off. God Bless, I just happened to be in a parking lot next to a Firestone. I've never used them, but I sure was glad to see them that night. If you've never had to push a 2, let me tell you, that thing is a BEAST!! I ran over (still raining) to see if they were still open and they were. I had a fifteen minute window to work with. Pretty friendly guys, one of the mechanics ran out (in the rain) to the 2 with a fuel pressure gauge and NOTHING!!! Banged on the tank, NOTHING!!! There was also a strong odor of gas, but that had been the case for a few weeks. I had someone look at it before, and they thought it might be a bad gas cap, or even the fuel pump gasket not being seated correctly. That was two weeks ago....Not sure exactly if either of those were correct, but the pump sure did fail Saturday night! First quote was for $985 installed. That just wasn't going to work...$715 later, new pump installed and ready by Sunday at noon. All I can say is "thanks Firestone, way to step up to the plate.

2003 H2, Moog Idler, Pitman, Up/Low BJ, In/Out TR, Fabtech 6in Lift, Yokohama Geolander M/T 40x15.50x20, Black XD Bombs 20x9, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Yukon 5:13 gears f/r, Hypertech Max programmer, KC 851 HID's 35w, Pioneer DVD/NAV/TOUCHSC, 10" woofers, 6k Headlight HID's, White LED DRL (wired to run w/headlights on),Custom University of Texas gauges, Custom yellow paint. interior, Fuel pump/filter (Feb '13), Rebuilt 4L60E (April '13) & Rebuilt Transfer Case (Oct '14)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WTH...Smelling gas/Fuel pump went out

Dang.. sucks, GM has had issues with fuel pumps for a LONG time so not suprising really, though if mine went bad I'd do everything possible to take it back to my house to change I mean all your doing is dropping the skid plate, then get a jack or two under it, maybe some support straps.

Anyway, did your fuel smell go away?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Question Re: WTH...Smelling gas/Fuel pump went out

Fuel smell still apparent toward the front...I smell it when I lean down inside the front wheel wells on both sides....Any ideas? I wonder if they didn't button something back up after checking the fuel pressure? Definitely gonna call them and take it back up there.

2003 H2, Moog Idler, Pitman, Up/Low BJ, In/Out TR, Fabtech 6in Lift, Yokohama Geolander M/T 40x15.50x20, Black XD Bombs 20x9, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Yukon 5:13 gears f/r, Hypertech Max programmer, KC 851 HID's 35w, Pioneer DVD/NAV/TOUCHSC, 10" woofers, 6k Headlight HID's, White LED DRL (wired to run w/headlights on),Custom University of Texas gauges, Custom yellow paint. interior, Fuel pump/filter (Feb '13), Rebuilt 4L60E (April '13) & Rebuilt Transfer Case (Oct '14)
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

If anyone was wondering the fuel smell is coming from a leak at this location where the rubber meets the hard line, 3rd line from the top. I am not sure if this is the feed line or not? The fuel line which is located just above what appears to me to be the transfer case skid plate. The mechanic is unsure if I need to replace the entire line which is a discontinued GM part #15181574.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (169.8 KB, 778 views)
File Type: jpg Image4.jpg (168.1 KB, 646 views)

Last edited by BUNNY15 : 02-22-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: pic won't load
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Last thread update....

The mechanic located and repaired the leak. It was actually coming from a hole rubbed into the hard fuel line that is routed above the transmission, and was just dripping down the line, appearing to originate from somewhere else. Mechanic charged me $10 for supplies. Apparently for him it was an easy fix. No more leak or gas smell.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

Hi Bunny,
I was scanning through the forums and found your post as of Feb of this year, and it sounds like a problem I am coming up with.

I wanted to look at the two pictures you posted on the 22 of Feb but it appears there is a issue with them and wondering if you could repost them, or send them to me.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
Hi Bunny,
I was scanning through the forums and found your post as of Feb of this year, and it sounds like a problem I am coming up with.

I wanted to look at the two pictures you posted on the 22 of Feb but it appears there is a issue with them and wondering if you could repost them, or send them to me.

Thanks

Unfortunately I have already deleted them from my phone, but I can tell you exactly where to look. If you can trace the hard fuel line from the rear of your vehicle where the fuel filter is, (should look like 3 lines kind of stacked on top of each other if I remember correctly near the frame rail. At some point the lines run upward and on top of the tranny. Just above the tranny, my hard line somehow rubbed against something, I assume the tranny and caused a small hole. Pay attention to the odor though because initially I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Thought the seal on the fuel pump wasn't seated correctly and fumes were escaping a little. Of course the day I decide to take it in, it starts dripping fuel like no body's business. Enough to make me too paranoid to drive the damn thing anymore without getting it fixed first. I smelled fuel for months before I noticed any leaks.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Thanks Tiffany,
I have had a gradually worsening smell of fuel for a while now, just no signs of a leak.... so of course I am where you are.... think it is the fuel pump seal that has somehow come unseated.

I just figure if I am under there I might as well look around and such.

I assume with the looks and setup of your rig that you trail or off road alot?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Tiffany,
I have had a gradually worsening smell of fuel for a while now, just no signs of a leak.... so of course I am where you are.... think it is the fuel pump seal that has somehow come unseated.

I just figure if I am under there I might as well look around and such.

I assume with the looks and setup of your rig that you trail or off road alot?

Actually I just did the lift in May, and due to several family and business trips since, and the month long shop visit in August,

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44523

I have not truly had a real opportunity to test my big boy out properly. During the interim, I needed something to feed my soul which is why I,

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44496

Happy camper now

Last edited by BUNNY15 : 09-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Tiffany,
Do you happen to have the info on the repair (part numbers, labor, etc....) for your gas leak?
Turns out it looks like I might have the exact same leak as you did a few months ago

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Tiffany,
Do you happen to have the info on the repair (part numbers, labor, etc....) for your gas leak?
Turns out it looks like I might have the exact same leak as you did a few months ago

Thanks

Well the fuel line that I thought was going to have to be replaced was discontinued, but the good thing was I didn't need the whole line to begin with. For a $10 fix, my mechanic I believe just cut out a small portion before and after the hole where the leak was, and replaced it with aftermarket fuel line that I think had couplers on either end to connect it to the factory line. I can try looking underneath it when I get home to see if I can spot the repair and take a pic.

I will also send you a PM with the shops contact info so can verify what they actually used.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Tiffany,
If you could shoot me a picture that would be great. This way I can tell what I could do, since I currently have 2 options in my head and a third would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Tiffany,
If you could shoot me a picture that would be great. This way I can tell what I could do, since I currently have 2 options in my head and a third would be great.

Thanks

OK I'll see what I can do...in the meantime post #4 on this thread is where I listed the part # for the hard fuel line. GM part #15181574. I was told by several different dealers that it had been discontinued. Maybe you can search for it and get lucky. Somebody's bound to have one sitting on a shelf unused.

Last edited by BUNNY15 : 09-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 AM

Awesome Tiff!!
Yours is a 03 also right?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Entered the part number in a Google search and came up with this http://autoplicity.com/compareproducts.aspx

It may not be in stock :-(
Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Ed
Entered the part number in a Google search and came up with this http://autoplicity.com/compareproducts.aspx

It may not be in stock :-(

Yes I actually ordered it from them, but a day later received an email saying sorry, but the item you ordered is not available and issued me a refund.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Awesome Tiff!!
Yours is a 03 also right?

Yes 03...couldn't get the pic yet. We've had some bad weather. Will try again tomorrow.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

I kinda figured that :-( Funny a person can still find OEM brake lines for a 1995-1999 Dodge Neon but we are out of luck on a lot of parts for our trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNY15
Yes I actually ordered it from them, but a day later received an email saying sorry, but the item you ordered is not available and issued me a refund.

Last edited by Easy Ed : 10-01-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM

Yep. And this is what scares me.

But then again a little ingenuity and a usually a far few less dollars and it is possible to fix most things and do it just as good or better (ie. when I permanently repaired my trans shifter for 8 dollars versus 125 bux)
Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Tiffany,

Thanks

Just sent u a PM