H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Hummer Novice

craZybastrd is on a distinguished road
Default Ranch / Tuff Country Lift?

I have been debationg getting a 4" lift and have a few questions I need answering. With the 4" lifts, They state I cannot use the factory h3 rims. They recommed rims with 4.5" back spacing. I think the OEM rims are 6" of backspacing. My question is can I add a 1.5" spacer to my factory rims for
4.5" of backspacing. Can this be done? Has anyone done this? Pictures if so.

I like the look of the factory rims and really dont want to replace them. If this won't work I am pondering getting the SAW HD Torsion bars, FOX shocks, and small shackle lift. Your opionions are welcome. What should I do?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ranch / Tuff Country Lift?

You can most likely use spacers. And you'll only need them for the front.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

trailerpup is on a distinguished road

I have the SAWs cranked to 24.25 inches, Fox Shocks, and I had the Samco shackles. I took the Samco shackles off and put in some tuff country add-a-leafs. Now I want to get the tuff country front lift, which means I will need to go with longer shocks all around. So, while I have the front end apart I will have to swap in the CI front diff housing, and ARB is coming out with a front locker soon... I guess while I have it apart I will go with the Bulletproof tie rods. I have American Racing Chamber teflon wheels which are 4.5 inches of backspacing (they are machined to fit over the front hubs). They are 16x8 and I am running BFG Mud T/A 35's. Tuff Country says 4.5 inches of backspacing will work. From what I hear, you need to go larger than 16 inch wheels to use the Rancho lift. As you can see there are many ways to go on this.... Spacers are supposed to put additional stress on the front end, so I would suggest you think about that one some more. Good luck and post pictures whichever way you go!!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Hummer Novice

craZybastrd is on a distinguished road

I have actually followed pup and sewies post in the past and you both have some nice 3's. Pup are you going to sell all your current stuff? I have been going back and forth on just upgrading to SAW bars and fox shocks. Why are you considering going with the lift now?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Trailerpup

Please let us know about your Cast Iron Diff and ARB front locker install.
That sounds like a great way to go.

Are you doing the work your self or a 4x4 shop or dealer??
Are you going to use your stock ring and pinion gears and put them on the ARB carrier?

Is it possible to buy a bolt-in package front diff and wiring harness and switches (like a 2009 Alpha)?

Group Buy???

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

6pack is an unknown quantity at this point

Pup, why don't you plan to do some mods to your truck like the rest of us?

I had 1" spacers on my ZR2 for a few years, no problems. You should get quality ones though. I got mine from here: http://www.adaptitusa.com/ They make a billet spacer with new lugs and make it so when the lug nuts are tightened down they help center everything. This will help reduce the stress as much as possible. Although the best thing is just get new rims. But this is a safe alternative. I would never get the spacers that just slip over your existing lugs, they can cause friction on the lugs themselves and cause the lug to break.
2007 H3 Lux/Adv 5 speed, Gibson Extreme Duals cat-back, K&N FIPK, PCMforless tune, SAW torsion bars, Samco Shackles, Fox Racing shocks, Trail Duty Bump Stops, 35" ProComp Xterrain tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Yeah the billet adapters that 6pack pointed out are the way to go if your going to do it. I am going to do the CI when ARB releases the front locker. The Bulletproof rods are ex$pen$ive!! But, they look like the way to go. The CI swaps over, need a good gear head to set up the lash, etc. though. I won't go to the dealer for anything more than a t-shirt, or warranty work if it needs it. Might be a nightmare trying to get a complete stock 09 unit and hooking it up. But, who knows yet.

I say the sane way to go is - SAWs cranked to 24, Cognitos up front, Samco shackles (or Warrior, which are much less expensive but not as elegant, in my opinion, as Sam's stuff) in the rear with a set of Bils and the bar-pin adapters (why Bils aren't made for the H3 yet, who knows? I'll bet ARB will throw down with some Old Man Emu shocks first), moderate 35's on the OEM wheels. Then wheel it for a while and go from there.

I have not decided on the Tuff Country yet... it is just a little nagging feeling in the back of my mind... like the Alpha. The I-fivers out there will know what I mean. Also, I have seen a few pics of people with the ranch/tuff who cracked their hubs open some how or another?? If I decide to part with any goodies you will hear about it...

I just de-blinged and murdered out my black H3... pics to come. By the way, did I mention that I really like my new Chamber teflon wheels.

Been kind of quite around here lately. Good to see some folks chiming in.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup
why Bils aren't made for the H3 yet, who knows?

They have some, but not the 5100 series. I've heard those should be on the way though.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
They have some, but not the 5100 series. I've heard those should be on the way though.

Good to know.