H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale
Default ****en H2 - brake line failure almost caused a crash

My 03 H2 has almost 200kms, and until the last few months has been relatively reliable expect the usual few electrical issues and minor repairs.

In the last 2 months, I found out my entire exhaust was shot. Both exhaust manifolds have broken bolts, one has a crack too, both cats bad, my muffler had leaks, etc. Just had most of that fixed in the last week or so, and now today while driving home from work I hit the brake and within a few seconds the pedal started to go soft and within a few more seconds I had no more brakes.

Pulled over and sure enough have fluid dripping from under the engine compartment closer to the driver side. Couldn't see anything from look at the engine compartment (so I don't think it is leaking from the master cylinder).

Any ideas. I suspect I have a blown brake line, or I've heard these Hummers have a brake booster - could that be it too?

Overall though, I think I've now had it. There is one thing doing mechanical repairs, but once the ****en truck's brakes failed, I don't know if I can trust it again. Luckily I was in bumper/bumper traffic and just crawling. ****, if it failed on the highway or going down a hill I would have been ****ed (or more likely the unlucky guy/car I would have hit).

Sorry if I sound pissed and dissin' the H2, cause I am. Was planning to keep the H2 til its grave, but now not sure if I'll feel safe in it again.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

citiboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ****en H2 - brake line failure almost caused a crash

Check your front left brake rubber flex hose, it might be ruptured.

Toyo MT 38x13.50x18 on Rockstar. Green keys. 2" rear spacers. 1" bodylift. Cognito UCA, steering bracket, front stab links. Bilstein 5100 shocks & steering stab. Moog inner/outer TR, pitman, idler arm & bracket with remote zerk. E&G Classics fender flares. ARP 434-1301 ex. man. stud kit. Airaid perf. air filter. Crown brake lines. Warn PowerPlant HD. Rubberduck UCP. Gobi Ranger roof rack. DDM Tuning 55W HID Hi/Lo headlights. Hella fogs. Evans waterless coolant.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale

Took a closer look. It is the metal SS brake line that got a pin hole leak near where it crosses the power steering rubber cable. I think the rubber cable must have rubbed against the metal brake line for the last 10+ years eventually causing it to fail cause the rest of the line is fine (no rust). Just shows GMs stupidity in engineering and design - this should not happen. I don't care if GMs incompetence causes a exhaust manifold bolt to break, but when they **** up on the brake system then that pisses me off.

Anyway, have it in the shop and they just found that my front passenger hub it bad.

I'm really starting to get poised off with this truck. In the last 4 months, I'm having significant failures weekly. Did GM design these things to basically be junk after 200kms?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

Honestly at 124k miles I would anticipate things to start going bad. The engine should still be strong if it was maintained properly but other items are definitely going to start wearing and going bad. These things are becoming older and older and we are all going to start running into more issues eventually.