H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 AM

SCREAMR is off the scale

Hey Everyone!!!

Just got my H3 in October and I'm loving it. However, since I live in Canada -- Satellite Radio has just become licenced for release on November 29th. The GM Canada website states that the feature is offered as an option on 2006 models.

Does anyone know if I can get one installed aftermarket through my dealer? If so, is this better than getting a different type? And, is it something that could just be programmed onto my existing 6 disc CD changer?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2006 H3 Flame Yellow with Adventure and Luxury Package; brush guard, running boards, locking gas cap, mudflaps, cargo cover and net, spare tire cover, licence plate holder, all season floor mats... and vanity licence plate of SCREAMR for my HUMMER.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 AM

SCREAMR is off the scale

Hey Everyone!!!

Just got my H3 in October and I'm loving it. However, since I live in Canada -- Satellite Radio has just become licenced for release on November 29th. The GM Canada website states that the feature is offered as an option on 2006 models.

Does anyone know if I can get one installed aftermarket through my dealer? If so, is this better than getting a different type? And, is it something that could just be programmed onto my existing 6 disc CD changer?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2006 H3 Flame Yellow with Adventure and Luxury Package; brush guard, running boards, locking gas cap, mudflaps, cargo cover and net, spare tire cover, licence plate holder, all season floor mats... and vanity licence plate of SCREAMR for my HUMMER.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe (but never tried it) the factory XM receiver can be installed into your vehicle, and the display will show on the radio head. If this is possible, you should be able to also install a Sirius unit too.
Not sure of the price for the install.
You can also install an aftermarket XM or Sirius unit, that has its own display and uses its own antenna.
For XM, the best ones are made by Delphi. These units allow you to remove the unit from the car and setup in your home, if you also purchase the home kit for around $49.00 (USD) extra.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

I don't believe that the harness, plug, and antenna are in the vehicle if it doesn't come from the factory with xm. However, there are kits to do both xm and sirius directly from the radio just as oem does. Check out xmdirect by terk, and for sirius you could use Soundgate adaptor/Kenwood tuner with an added antenna. Either way, the kits are relatively cheap and easy to install.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Not sure about the connectors, but I believe they only ship with one type of onstar antenna, and that antenna is used for the GPS signal to Onstar, cell phone for Onstar, and XM receiver antenna.
Two ways to check. One, is there a Black 16 pin connector taped to the harness just above the glove box? This connector would have a brown/white wire in terminal 2, and a dark green/white wire in terminal 3 (it will also have some other wires). These are the two circuits that feed the XM signal to the radio.
The other way to check is to pull the radio, which is quite easy, and check the small 12 terminal black connector at the rear of the radio and see if it has a dark green/white wire in terminal H and a brown/white wire in terminal J (these are the two feed wires from the previous connector).

If the connector is there, and the wires are in the radio connector, then some where in the harness above the glove box there should be a small two terminal connector which has the leads for the antenna for the receiver.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

I have checked on both H2 and H3's (as well as many other GM's) and even if they had onstar, there was no lead from the main antenna for xm (only 2 black coax leads that went to the onstar box) and definitely no harness for the xm module. I have been trying to get that harness from my Delphi distributor as we have some extra oem xm tuners, but am told it is not available without buying the entire xm kit.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Hummer Guru

So, if someone purchased an XM kit, they would get the lead to the antenna, and the XM connector with the wires, which you would have to install in the existing radio head connector (not hard).
So, would this answer the original question? If the person wanted a factory XM setup?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Actually, with a new kit, you get a whole new antenna (not just a lead to plug into the existing gm onstar/gps antenna) and a new harness that comes with a 'y' so that you can disconnect the 12 pin at the head and plug it into the new harness. Finish by plugging the new 12 pin off the y back into the head. Considering the cost of the oem setup, people always choose to go with the Terk gmdirect kit as it does the exact same thing and costs less.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 AM

SCREAMR is off the scale

Well -- thanks for all the answers. Until now... I thought I was pretty savy (especially for a girl) when it came to my vehicle. Though I know I'm a whole lot more informed than my dealer -- is there any way that you could break this down a little more for me?

I really don't want to get screwed when it comes to ordering parts. For instance -- I ordered my locking gas cap from this site (thanks again Jason) and I paid a decent price. My dealer on the other hand was 'thrilled to let me know they were able to get a hold of one -- for the low price of $450' so, needless to say I don't trust them at all!!! This is after I was charged $30 in labour for installing the cargo net and another $30 in labour for installing a cargo cover.

I guess when a 25 year old buys an H3, they tend to think they can screw you!

Again, thanks so much for all the information -- anything else???
Old 11-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Hummer Guru

No, it is not age discrimination, they are willing to screw anyone...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:16 AM

SCREAMR is off the scale

so, i inquired some more... called gm canada, called on-star, and called xm radio canada. i also tried tuning the dial to xm -- which it doesn't look like exists on my 6-disc factory cd player.

so... i wonder if i'm screwed! anyone know what i couldd be missing?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

You can't access xm until the module is installed--until then only am/fm will come up when you scroll through bands. Look here (the whole kit is not pictured, but it is exactly what you require):
http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_de...vr-d-001-gm100