H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Keith is off the scale

after installing an aftermarket radio in my H3 I hooked the heater controls back up to the pannel and when i turned my truck back on I am only recieveing heat in my truck and can not turn on the AC or even change the setting from hot to cold, even with the control on cold it is bloeing out hot air, like the knobs are not registering, the only control I have is the fan 0-4, When I try to change the direction path of the heat from the top to the bottom or the defroster, that doesn't work either, The only thing I can think of that could cause this problem is that when I unhooked the heater controls my shifter was in D so I could access the pannel easier and It seems like the settings saved from when I unhooked the heater controls(heat was on with just the top vents selected "thats all I have now") I guess the only good thing I got out of this was the radio works..... Please help????
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Keith is off the scale

after installing an aftermarket radio in my H3 I hooked the heater controls back up to the pannel and when i turned my truck back on I am only recieveing heat in my truck and can not turn on the AC or even change the setting from hot to cold, even with the control on cold it is bloeing out hot air, like the knobs are not registering, the only control I have is the fan 0-4, When I try to change the direction path of the heat from the top to the bottom or the defroster, that doesn't work either, The only thing I can think of that could cause this problem is that when I unhooked the heater controls my shifter was in D so I could access the pannel easier and It seems like the settings saved from when I unhooked the heater controls(heat was on with just the top vents selected "thats all I have now") I guess the only good thing I got out of this was the radio works..... Please help????
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith:
after installing an aftermarket radio in my H3 I hooked the heater controls back up to the pannel and when i turned my truck back on I am only recieveing heat in my truck and can not turn on the AC or even change the setting from hot to cold, even with the control on cold it is bloeing out hot air, like the knobs are not registering, the only control I have is the fan 0-4, When I try to change the direction path of the heat from the top to the bottom or the defroster, that doesn't work either, The only thing I can think of that could cause this problem is that when I unhooked the heater controls my shifter was in D so I could access the pannel easier and It seems like the settings saved from when I unhooked the heater controls(heat was on with just the top vents selected "thats all I have now") I guess the only good thing I got out of this was the radio works..... Please help???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you disco negative battery cable before install.maybe you didnt put the connectors back correctly.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Keith is off the scale

no I didn't discontect the battery, I looked at the connectors they can only be put in one way. I will try disconnecting the battery though and reset the Computer thanks.. I'll let you know
Old 11-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a reset with by disconnecting the negative battery cable as Keith mentioned. Also make sure the connectors are snapped in all the way.
One word of caution, always disconnect the negative battery cable for safety reasons. You do have air bags in the car, and disconnecting the neg. battery cable shuts the system down.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:25 AM

Keith is off the scale

I tried disconecting the negative terminal for about 15min and then reconnecting it and then tried to use my climate controls again...no luck, I also pulled the fuse for climate control fuse number 59 started the truck without the fuse then replaced the fuse and started it again, still no luck...any other suggestions???
Old 11-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Hopefully you used an install adaptor. If so, pull the aftermarket head and replace the original. Then take it to the dealer and don't even mention the radio install (you could tell them you popped of the heat/ac panel to see if it just came unplugged or something in case they notice that it has been off).
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM

h3\'er is off the scale

You have a plug disconnected or not seated fully on the center console panel
Old 11-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Let’s troubleshoot this:
You have three connectors in the back of the control head.
One skinny five pin that controls the blower, you say that is operating ok, so let’s forget this one.
You have a gray 12-pin, and a black 12 pin; let’s look at the black connector since that is the connector that contains the circuits for mode doors, and temp doors. If that connector is not seated correctly, you will not be able to switch air output location or switch between hot and cold temps. The evap temp sensor signal also comes in via this connector to the control head.
It does not appear you have switched the two 12-Way F Micro-Pack 100 Series connectors, since you do have blower power, and I assume your rear window defogger operates.
Now, did you use an existing harness from the radio store to connect the radio, or did you do some wire cutting and butt end connecting to connect the new radio. If you did do some cut and splicing, than make sure you still have all the wires spliced correctly.
If none of these ideas work, I don’t know what to say. Hard to diagnose from a distance. But if you are good with a voltmeter, I can send you the wiring diagrams and connector pin outs on the connectors.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Hummer Expert

Hey fstop,if he didnt connect the 2 purples wires together from the radio harness,when he installed new radio could that cause problem just throwing that out there.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
Hey fstop,if he didnt connect the 2 purples wires together from the radio harness,when he installed new radio could that cause problem just throwing that out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't believe the serial data link goes to the HVAC, the HVAC is controlled by the BCM via a relay that the BCM controls.
The serial data link comm line is used for communications between certain modules, for the radio it is used for serial number/vin ID, and I believe for vehicle speed input (have to check the wiring to be sure about vehicle speed input).

Without checking the scheamtics, I don't believe the HVAC in the H3 is part of the serial data link, since it is a manual system.

I still believe, as others on this site believe, it is a problem with a connector. Could be a few bent pins, could be not seated correctly. That is, unless the wires were cut and incorrectly spliced, but if an adapter harness was used, I default to the one connector, and or bent pins.

However, (and here comes the disclaimer), without actually being there, and checking circuits, I cannot say for sure. It could be one of those freak things that the HVAC decided to go south, and the radio install had nothing to do with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 AM

Keith is off the scale

Ok I will take all the advise into consideraion and check all things mentioned. When I hooked the head unit up I used a pac 0s-2 harness with the CM-1 door chime adapter. I did hook the 2 purple wires up togeather when installing the head unit. My fan does work and my rear def. works also. When I hit the ac button the light just flashes and then goes off.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Coorect me if im wrong ,but there are 2 identical connectors behind the faceplate.Maybe they are backwards.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:28 PM

Keith is off the scale

I looked at the quickly, I don't believe that you can put then in the wrong connection because on the top of the connector there is a guide on it the left on the guide is on the left and the right one the guide is on the right.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the relay for the A/C. Doesn't sound like it's related to the install. Like f5fstop mentioned.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM

Keith is off the scale

ok, I checked the AC relay, how can I tell if this relay is burnt out or not? Also checked the plugs in the back of the center pannel and they are pushed all the way in, I haven't check if there is a bent pin though. I will check that, but it doens;t seem like that is the problem because it seems like 2 plugs that are casuing the problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Hey Keith what position is the last dial on the right in when you try to use A/C.Because if it is like the recirculation button,and you dont have the control on correct setting the light will flash then go off read the manual.Place dial on vent only then try A/C dude.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM

Keith is off the scale

with the control all the way on the right, I only have the upper vent selection, even if I change it to something else it wont change for me, this has been like this since I changed the head unit also, the only part of the climate control I can change is the fan
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Hummer Expert

I also installed new head unit few months back and had no such problem.Maybe at this point you might have accidentally caused a short somewhere because you didnt disco neg battery terminal,only thing i can think of at this point.Just for the heck of it did you try putting stock radio back in and see if everything works.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Hummer Guru

Make sure to check the A/C clutch relay, the HVAC relay should be ok since you have power to the blower.
Just find another relay in the fuse block that is similar in color, then check to make sure it has the same part number, and do a swap. I believe the headlamp relay may be the same.
Looking at the connectors, you are correct, they cannot be swapped unless you use a hammer.
I would still be looking very carefully at the black connector. This not only feeds the mode doors but also receives the signal from the EVAP temp sensor, and without that signal, A/C will not come one.