H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone ever tinkered with their rock rails?

I was checking them out today and though sturdy, the cross sections appear they might catch.

I was thinking that perhaps you could fabricate some extra protection on the bottom and extend them out a little, and the protrusion could negate the need for a step.

Any thoughts..
Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Hummer Deity

Has anyone ever tinkered with their rock rails?

I was checking them out today and though sturdy, the cross sections appear they might catch.

I was thinking that perhaps you could fabricate some extra protection on the bottom and extend them out a little, and the protrusion could negate the need for a step.

Any thoughts..
Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they do "catch". But the frame is what you need to worry about.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Hummer Messiah

The stock rails are great for sliding over things, but side protection is seriously lacking.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Hummer Messiah

That damn rock is why I built these bad boys.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Hummer Deity

Drty, I like those. Do you have any more pics?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Hummer Deity

Seth, thanks for the link. I will be researching it and hopefully attempting.

While I am under there, is there any harm in adding piping and/or steel plating to the rest of the undercarriage. If not, what things should I leave exposed for repair and maint. (manifold etc..) or should I make a removable "cage" supported by structural piping.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Hummer Deity

I just went out for a lil' look-see and my underbody is different with the fabtech arm things and my pumpkin looks so vunerable. I want something.

Ken, already talked to Phil about his "UBP" and apparently- there is such a thing. I know, I am a dork.

I will be altering my rails though.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just weld some of these underneath and you can "roll" right over the rocks.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Just weld some of these underneath and you can "roll" right over the rocks.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey don't laugh! Para, I had the same idea for a while! But I was thinking of using some heavy-duty pallet jack wheels. I think it's a grand idea to be able to use any wheel to "roll" the truck over any sticking points.

But I would mount it around the rear diff first, which to me is the biggest trouble spot. Any ideas??
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
Hey don't laugh! Para, I had the same idea for a while! But I was thinking of using some heavy-duty pallet jack wheels. I think it's a grand idea to be able to use any wheel to "roll" the truck over any sticking points.

But I would mount it around the rear diff first, which to me is the biggest trouble spot. Any ideas?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll sacrifice ground clearance with most attempts.

You need a "hopper" at the diff. A lever whose resting position is just forward of the diff and about diff wide that would rotate just so slightly and pick the diff up over the obstacle. Kind of a moving skid plate.

Put collars on the axle housings on either side of the diff with an attachment point on each. It works like a swing and would be spring loaded at one of the collars so that it would stay in the "home" position.

How's that for a quick jab at a solution.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Hummer Deity

Well, I don't see an aftermarket kit for H2 under body protection. So I guess I will have to make something unless someone knows any different.

I am worried about the rear diff too H. I think the wheel thing is a great idea, however, it is another movable component to worry about.

I'm thinking something like the undershield (just posterior to the skid plate) but with a steel panel veneer to slide on. Because if you just add another undershield you get that same 'catch' problem. The pumpkin can just have a two bar frame and a steel panel with hinges for access if needed.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
How's that for a quick jab at a solution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Para, frankly I'm dissapointed. Where's the diagram? Where's the mass/velocity ratio calculations? Where's the parts numbers needed???

You're slacking off buddy Now go finish the ptototype and call me!

CP, you're aware of the replacement heavy-duty UCP from Rubberduck? It's 2 pieces, front and rear. Also, I belive Neil (H20) made an even better version. None protects the rear diff, though as often as I've slammed it on rocks, it seemed plenty tough.

Para, why must it rotate? I was thinking more like what CP described -- a stationary "ramp" with the pallet wheels in them, to glide-over and pick-up the rear diff over the rock (with a little momemtum).
Old 11-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
Para, why must it rotate? I was thinking more like what CP described -- a stationary "ramp" with the pallet wheels in them, to glide-over and pick-up the rear diff over the rock (with a little momemtum). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, my first reaction would be durability. Having some types of small wheels mean that there would be some small axles. Conceiveably, half the weight of the truck could come to rest on one of the wheels. Also, ground rock and debri would gather up and around the wheel.

My reasoning behind something moving was the same idea as the wheel. To reduce friction. The idea that was in my head had a "foot" that was flat on bottom but rounded up to vertical. When contacting the rock the movement would allow frictionless travel over the rock until the "plate" hit a stop. Then it acts as an ordinary skid plate and will drag the rest of the way. But this will help keep the rear end from hanging up and probably further help you to high-center on the rear end.

In my rambling thoughts about our UCP I often wonder if the best solution would not be a network of front-to-back I-Beam shaped pieces tied together horizontally for twisting stability. I don't know of any stock metal that could be used, though. It would have to be some custom extrusion, I would guess.

The pieces could be bolted together so that when you destroy one or two sections, you could easily buy the individual lengths and replace only what was need. Obviously, once it was damaged, there wouldn't be any straightening it or anything.

Actually, with further thought it could be a modular thing and applicable to any vehicle
Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had those wheels, how would I stop?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
Well, I don't see an aftermarket kit for H2 under body protection. So I guess I will have to make something unless someone knows any different.

I am worried about the rear diff too H. I think the wheel thing is a great idea, however, it is another movable component to worry about.

I'm thinking something like the undershield (just posterior to the skid plate) but with a steel panel veneer to slide on. Because if you just add another undershield you get that same 'catch' problem. The pumpkin can just have a two bar frame and a steel panel with hinges for access if needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about the "scary duck"? Tell him "Harley Dave" sent you...
Attached Images

1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Hummer Professional

Ernie Italy is off the scale

I have the Rubberduck UCP and no problem. I have in mind to weld plain steel on the UCP and help the H2 to slide, but if during the slide the H2 turn on !
And add other weight !!!!