H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default Going to pull the trigger on a Gobi rack....

So I'm thinking about picking up a Gobi rack for the H2 so set it apart from all the grocery getter Hummers here in AZ.

My main problem is I CANNOT decide between the Ranger or Stealth. My initial thoughts were on the stealth so I can still get the thing in the garage however I'm sure at some point she will be sitting on the driveway after larger wheels.

I kinda like the look of big 5" or bigger round lights on the Ranger as opposed to the smaller rectagular lights on the stealth. I don't know if larger rounds can be installed on the stealth.

I've searched all over the world for better pics of the stealth and it doesn't seem many people actually have them-the majority are rangers.

I'm just curious if you have a Gobi what your insights are before I purchase one-either stealth or ranger??

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

slippy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Going to pull the trigger on a Gobi rack....

Round lights on the stealth :

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...highlight=duck
Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

search craigslist in detroit, michigan. Think there is a gobi rack on there around $500. Only cost $130-200 to ship it through freightquote.com
Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Hummer Expert

wow thanks for the link, that basically just sold me on the stealth vs. the ranger! I'll check out craigs and see if I can find it-thanks guys!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Next question, what did you guys do to your roof to protect it? Here in AZ if you don't regularly wash your vehicle the sun just eats the paint. I was thinking about spraying Plasti-Dip on the roof to protect it but the stuff is a PITA when it comes to taping things off. I don't really want to do anything permanent though.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of wax and a cover...sun in Colorado is as bad, if not worse, than Arizona.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Line-X
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Line-X

I would prefer something not as permanent but maybe that is the route to go....leave it to the pros to tape everything off and spray it.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963
I would prefer something not as permanent but maybe that is the route to go....leave it to the pros to tape everything off and spray it.
Exactly...and you'll never have to worry about it again.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Hummer Expert

good points, I'll have to find someone local who does it and get a quote. I'm assuming I would take off the stock roof rails but leave all the top plastic so there isn't any fitment issues?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963
good points, I'll have to find someone local who does it and get a quote. I'm assuming I would take off the stock roof rails but leave all the top plastic so there isn't any fitment issues?
I'd have the shop give you feedback regarding the top plastic. The only other thing that I can think to consider is 'rain water drainage.' I've never looked really close at how, and from where, water drains from the roof...wouldn't want to block anything up with the Line-X. Perhaps this isn't an issue at all, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

twinmill28 is on a distinguished road

There's a guy in Utah, just north of Salt Lake selling a Ranger Gobi for $900 and willing to ship. He's got the posting on at least two forums that I know of.
Of course, you can also buy a brand new Stealth or Ranger off of Ebay for the same price ($900), but shipping is around $300, so it's the same as buying new any place else.
I think Ranger vs. Stealth comes down to how aggressive you want the truck to look. IMO---the Ranger looks better with bigger tires and big front bumper. Stealth works better on a stock or close to stock truck.
As for clearance for the garage, the Stealth will work with up to 37" tires/no lift for fitting in the garage. No way for the Ranger to fit in a normal garage. You can contact GOBI and get all kinds of different light mounts, including the rounds, for the GOBI's--so rounds will work on the Stealth.
I had a Stealth on my 3 and absolutely loved it---it paid for itself in the first month when we had it on a road trip and expanded our carrying capacity vastly. Of course, the 3 had limited room, so the rack was a great addition. On the 2, I've got bucketloads more interior room, so a rack isn't needed as badly. The greatest benefit we got out of the rack on the 3 was watching fireworks on fourth of July on the roof and looking at stars while parked on the mountain in Colorado. This is actually the reason we'll be getting a GOBI for the deuce in the future--makes a great deck to sit on.
Of course, the bonus is getting a look that alot of other deuces don't have and it looks freakin' awesome!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmill28
The greatest benefit we got out of the rack on the 3 was watching fireworks on fourth of July on the roof and looking at stars while parked on the mountain in Colorado. This is actually the reason we'll be getting a GOBI for the deuce in the future--makes a great deck to sit on.
Of course, the bonus is getting a look that alot of other deuces don't have and it looks freakin' awesome!
nothing quite like pulling in to the middle of nowhere and watching the stars from the gobi! it's like having your own portable deck wherever you go

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Hummer Expert

damn the 4th of july idea is awesome, now I really have to buy it pronto!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

TTLex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
search craigslist in detroit, michigan. Think there is a gobi rack on there around $500. Only cost $130-200 to ship it through freightquote.com

Used to be one there for sale, its now happily mounted on a big black H2 in Maryland!

Fabtech lift- Bilstein shocks- Hotchkins sways- Cognito UCA's- Cognito support kit- Kryptonite tie rods- Spohn adjustable panhard bar- Rancho stabilizer- Suspension Maxx 1.5" spacers- Green keys- Fuel Hostage 20x12- Toyo Open country 40x15.5- Boulder Accessories winch bumper- Warn light bar w/ PIAA 520's- ZMag billet hood vent- Volant intake- exhaust- superchips tuner- linex bumpers/mirrors- E&G fender flares- blacked out lights- kenwood head unit/tv/navigation- headrest monitors
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

twinmill28 is on a distinguished road

It didn't happen if there are no pics!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

when i took my grill in to get LineX, there was a white H2 that was getting the whole exterior LineX. the dealer told me he was charging $3100 for the whole exterior minus the plastic. it was a 06 model, and the owner removed the mirrors at the site. the H2 had been keyed by pissed off tree huggers or teenagers. all 4 doors had deep gouges, and the front and rear quarter panels.

now the dealer did say that he wasnt doing the door sills as that would cost more for labor to tape them off..

BTW.. thats $3100 WITH the UV protection spray which gives the LineX a very nice shine instead of the dull grayish color...

just a FYI
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

I love my linex'd bumpers, but damn, the whole exterior!

Fabtech lift- Bilstein shocks- Hotchkins sways- Cognito UCA's- Cognito support kit- Kryptonite tie rods- Spohn adjustable panhard bar- Rancho stabilizer- Suspension Maxx 1.5" spacers- Green keys- Fuel Hostage 20x12- Toyo Open country 40x15.5- Boulder Accessories winch bumper- Warn light bar w/ PIAA 520's- ZMag billet hood vent- Volant intake- exhaust- superchips tuner- linex bumpers/mirrors- E&G fender flares- blacked out lights- kenwood head unit/tv/navigation- headrest monitors
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTLex
Used to be one there for sale, its now happily mounted on a big black H2 in Maryland!

Good to see someone finally snatched that one up. It had been listed for atleast 2 months...closer to 3.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

yeah, I almost bougt it a few months back, then ended up losing interest as the talks were going slow with the guy. I stumbled on it again recently and snatched it up. Glad I did too, I love it.