H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heavy Duty Torsion Bars - Who's interested???

As some of you know I have been working on a project to give H3's a little more lift and better support.

No I'm not talking about bewbies

I have been in contact for the last few weeks, with SamCo Fab in Reno Nevada.

After many discussions he/we have decided that the H3 would greatly benefit from a higher springrate torsion bar. Sway-away makes these bars.

He is willing to help us with a group buy. If we can purchase 7 sets of these HD Torsion bars, we can get the price down to $475 a set.

The original price I had received from another supplier was $625.00 a set.

About SamCo Fab- he is the shop where all of the Team Hummer Hummers go for their custom modifications. He is highly qualified to make products for our HUMMERS, and believes fully that the H3 is a worthy, and capable offroader.

In addition, he is building 3" extended rear shackles (thanks to cestwick), and working with some shock manufacturers on some "real" offroading shocks for us.

He does not believe at this time that shock extenders for the front are necessary, but that could change. (I'll be the guinea pig)

For those that add as much custom metal fab as I have, now and in the future, I am having some custom add-a-leafs made to help increase the payload of the H3. Once these are done, you will be able to purchase them directly from the shop I have them made at. I will also provide all measurements if you want to have your local shop do it.

The truth of the matter is, we have cranked the torsion bars, which has/will shorten their life span. The more you wheel, the more evident it will become. For those of us with winches hanging off the front, it will happen even faster.

Let me know if you are interested in the HD T-bars, Sam has asked that we put up a deposit, the price is $475 plus shipping.

Thanks,

Beebs
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heavy Duty Torsion Bars - Who's interested???

what would it do to your warrenty?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Hummer Guru

What warranty??

No, really, techs would not be able to tell the difference between a HD and stock T-bar.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Hummer Guru

bump
Old 03-23-2007, 03:08 AM
Steve - SanJose

HB - Slightly off-thread/topic, but what shocks are you recommending for a stock/base H3 as a replacement to restore OEM performance? I think my shocks are already starting to deteriorate after 34K miles.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Hummer Guru

Tomorrow I am going to Central 4WD to check out a set of Avalanche front shocks they have on hold for me.

I will get back to you with the info then.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:03 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump
Old 03-23-2007, 04:08 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Bumpad...

My shocks are TOAST - no doubt about it, after 30k miles, they can't keep it level on flat ground I'm waiting to see what aftermarket shocks will do, I was gonna go with Rancho 9000s until BB had her issues, now I dunno...
Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
Bumpad...

My shocks are TOAST - no doubt about it, after 30k miles, they can't keep it level on flat ground I'm waiting to see what aftermarket shocks will do, I was gonna go with Rancho 9000s until BB had her issues, now I dunno...

Well, if the length and travel areOK, I'll get a part #. It is a Half ton 4WD like the H3....we'll see.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump.

Contact Bebe, join the rest of us
Old 03-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3 Alaska is off the scale

Bebe.....hate to add to the ruining of your thread.......

I swear the shocks on our black 3 are toast at less than 14K miles. On the white one @ 25K miles they seem to be fine (but it does get less actual wheel'n as a side note).
Old 03-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Not to worry, shocks can be apart of this conversation.

It is possible, that the amount of wheeling I do (in parking lots as per Sewie) has worn/broken my shocks. I also think the weakend torsion bars play a significant part (in my case) in the shocks breaking.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Hummer Novice

2luke2 is on a distinguished road

So I have reread your post twice. I'm still not sure what these HD torsion bars are going to do for me. Am I going to be able to turn them further for more lift or are they just going to be more sturdy?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2luke2
So I have reread your post twice. I'm still not sure what these HD torsion bars are going to do for me. Am I going to be able to turn them further for more lift or are they just going to be more sturdy?

We will get the same amount of lift 24.25" (center of hub to base of fender) but there wont be any fatigue, or bounce. Sturdy, yes, but more importantly, because they have a higher spring rate, they can support more weight.

Along with the Add-a-leafs I'm working on, it will increase our Payload. Meaning you can load your entire family + gear and still wheel. (not bottoming out your shocks or reducing your ground clearance because your maxed out)

Less body roll, which will help in those 'tippy" spots.....

Last edited by HummBebe : 03-26-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

garnerbiker is off the scale

very interested.

how are you looking on the price?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Hummer Guru

The more people interested, the better the price.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

I'd probably be in...I need to decide if I'm going to make the V-8 upgrade first though.
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Hummer Novice

Samco Fab is on a distinguished road

I think the torsions would be a very good upgrade for the H3, If you have much more than stock weight up front, from say a winch or bumper or both, you are better off changing the torsion bars than just cranking up the adjusters.

With a heavily preloaded torsion bar, often times you get a poor ride quality from the preload in the bar, it is not just about wearing out the bar.

When your tire unloads or comes off the ground and then re compresses, it has to overcome all the preload that you have put into the bar. With a lot of preload there is a lot of initial resistance, but with a heavier rate bar it has less initial resistance. Also you have much better body roll control and bottom out control with the firmer bar, but depending on what shock setup you run, you can get an even better ride quality and handling. One common misconception is that when you crank up your torsion bar, you increase your spring rate, you do not. You increase the preload on the bar, and you decrease your droop travel. Both can lead to poor ride.

Off road, our team has tested torsion bars with much more rate than the bars that I am looking to order, with no parts fatigue with the heavier rate. Basicly, the torsion bar will not hurt anything on your H3, we have tested that

I dont think the torsion bars are magical or will cure all of your problems, or will make your H3 into a Baja winner If you have additional weight up front, want to decrease body roll, or have your torsion bars cranked up and it rides like crap, the SAW torsion bar could be a good upgrade.

I recomend the Fox bolt on shocks for your H3. Some people (Humbebe) have bought enough Rancho's to buy 2 sets of Fox shocks You can rebuild the Fox, and re valve them yourself if you have moderate mechanical skills. They are a small version of a race shock.

I dont stand to make a bunch of $$ on these kits, but I am interested in selling more products to the H3 off road users, and this is one product that I am looking for intrest.

Who do I PM to find out how to be a Vendor?
775-856-4100

samcofabrication.com
rodhallracing.com
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samco Fab
I think the torsions would be a very good upgrade for the H3, If you have much more than stock weight up front, from say a winch or bumper or both, you are better off changing the torsion bars than just cranking up the adjusters.

With a heavily preloaded torsion bar, often times you get a poor ride quality from the preload in the bar, it is not just about wearing out the bar.

When your tire unloads or comes off the ground and then re compresses, it has to overcome all the preload that you have put into the bar. With a lot of preload there is a lot of initial resistance, but with a heavier rate bar it has less initial resistance. Also you have much better body roll control and bottom out control with the firmer bar, but depending on what shock setup you run, you can get an even better ride quality and handling. One common misconception is that when you crank up your torsion bar, you increase your spring rate, you do not. You increase the preload on the bar, and you decrease your droop travel. Both can lead to poor ride.

Off road, our team has tested torsion bars with much more rate than the bars that I am looking to order, with no parts fatigue with the heavier rate. Basicly, the torsion bar will not hurt anything on your H3, we have tested that

I dont think the torsion bars are magical or will cure all of your problems, or will make your H3 into a Baja winner If you have additional weight up front, want to decrease body roll, or have your torsion bars cranked up and it rides like crap, the SAW torsion bar could be a good upgrade.

I recomend the Fox bolt on shocks for your H3. Some people (Humbebe) have bought enough Rancho's to buy 2 sets of Fox shocks You can rebuild the Fox, and re valve them yourself if you have moderate mechanical skills. They are a small version of a race shock.

I dont stand to make a bunch of $$ on these kits, but I am interested in selling more products to the H3 off road users, and this is one product that I am looking for intrest.

I'll take care of that for you...check your PM
Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samco Fab

PM Jason, or try the Contact or Advertise links on the left.