H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Elcova Newbie

h2wish is on a distinguished road
Default thinking about getting a hummer!

hey everyone, im new to this forum and have some quick questions. right now i have a g35 coupe which i plan on selling and getting an h2 because ive always wanted one and i want an suv (since i live in jersey and want to off road), and all of the h2's in my price range are 03/4 with +70k miles to 120,000k on them. should i wait and find one with lower miles on it or it doesn't really matter? and is there a year thats better than the other (an 03, 05...). thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Hummer Novice

therapy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: thinking about getting a hummer!

I don't know about the later years but I have an 03. Just make sure you use common sense and take the time to check everything out without rushing into it. Check all the electrical from heated seats to ac to heater. Check for leaks and rear air suspension. Make sure speedo is working correctly. These are some problems I have had that are common in these forums.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road

I used to have an 03' which was great for about 3 years but then it begin to have "unexplainable engine troubles" or so the dealer said. it would not start up so the dealer would take it check everything bring it back and i would have the same problem with it not starting. also the interior dash lights would short out randomly. took it to a dealer and a local shop on multiple occasions and nothing ever showed up. it was at the dealership for a 3 day complete inspection and still nothing turned up.... or so they say. anyways traded it in for an 06' in 2007. my rig now has 53k miles on it and not a single problem yet! so id say the 06's are a great year ive also heard that 07's are great to. All hummers are great though. my 03' could have just been bad luck

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Elcova Newbie

h2wish is on a distinguished road

thanks guys, what about miles is +70k to much you think? how many miles are these engines good for?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road

theres some members here who have 100k plus. hopefully they will chime in

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

h24bob is on a distinguished road

have a 2003 80000 k it runs great had a few minor issues steering pump failed ,stuck key in ignition,swapped out instrument dash panel due to some led light failure ,service is the key change your fluids often ,krown rust protection , it will be a sad day when we have to part
Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree about the 2003 H3s. I loved mine and bought one of the first ones the dealer had, but I did have the ignition problem that is common and they had to put in THREE ignitions before they got it right, then the speedometer cluster stopped working and the heated seats started blowing fuses. Everything was solved by the dealer, but the final straw was driving home one night in the middle of no where and the lights all went out.
I traded it in for an '06 SUT and have only had the BCM replaced but otherwise it has never been back to the dealer. IMHO the '06 and 7s are more reliable, but that also depends on how they are maintained. If you can, go for a later model. The first year of any model has growing pains.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '03 with 95k on it and have had very few problems with it. I supercharged it at 5,000 miles and the engine still runs as strong as ever.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.