H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

Blue is off the scale

With all the superchargers out there (Vortec, Magnussen, Whipple, Magna), how did you come to your decision? Was it price or performance or what?
Hummer Veteran

Blue is off the scale

With all the superchargers out there (Vortec, Magnussen, Whipple, Magna), how did you come to your decision? Was it price or performance or what?
Hummer Veteran

Blue is off the scale

Old 07-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

Sorry no sc.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:16 AM

HUMMUH is off the scale

First things first.

A Supercharger is a must if you want strong acceleration when passing or towing in an H2.

A Supercharger is a must if you want to maximize your fuel economy with efficient driving.

Which one is more of a preference. I chose Vortech because of the 3-year warranty and the fact that my dealer said it was the only one they had not had significant difficulties in getting the programming right.

I drove a Whipple Supercharged H2 and while less intrusive to the engine my dealer said they had to stop doing them because they just had too many issues with them and unhappy customers something they were not interested in creating.

Have had my Vortech SC for 10,000 miles, purrs like a kitten, getting 13.3 mpg now but tanks are checking out at 14+ so average is still rising since I had 10,000 miles on the H2 before we made the final decision with the dealer. The pick-up is awesome and while I don't get on it a lot - when I want to it really wakes you up. Cayenes are the only SUV's that can hang with me even uphill.

It costs money - but -
Life is relatively short. while alive -live!

04 H2,Lux, Nav, Air Suspension, Polished Vortech Supercharger, BP Ram Air Towers, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Dbl. Brushguard, Polished Skid Plate, MC2 Hum-Loc II Wheels, Delphi XM, Rear Tire Mount
Old 07-03-2004, 06:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Blue is off the scale

HUMMUH,
I’ve heard that the Vortech (centrifugal) doesn’t have a linear response curve, which I understand it as you don’t see the power until around 2500 RPM. What have you experienced?
Now I'm told the Whipple supercharger has a linear response from idle to red zone. Do you know what your dealer meant by “unhappy customer” with the Whipple charger? Did it put too much stress on the pistons and rings?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I looked at all the different brands and choose the Magna Charger. Eaton is a quality company and you get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

The power is awesome, instant response.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Magnacharger would be my pick. Hey, if it's good enough for Lingenfelter...
Old 07-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Did someone say Lingenfelter?
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Hummer Messiah

Some threads to help you out:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=83110 2481&p=1

Lots of great info in this thread:
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=751607524 3&r=2656086243#2656086243
Old 07-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Very nice, Ken!

I have been doing some research on superchargers, and believe the Magnacharger is the best kit.

However, Magnacharger’s 3/36 powertrain warranty appears pretty bad. Not only is it an additional $200, but you must have the supercharger installed by an ASE Certified mechanic/garage, or the warranty is void. Also, there appears to be so many loopholes in denying coverage (add headers or aftermarket exhaust and the powertrain warranty is voided) that the added powertrain warranty is practically worthless. Did I say that Magnacharger’s powertrain warranty is through a third party company? Also, the warranty appears to have a maximum payout of $3000, then you are on your own.

Since I am not willing to forgo my factory GM warranty (once the dealer sees your Magnacharger, your factory warranty is toast), I’m still looking. I have an email in to SMA to see what their warranty policy looks like.

I found a Magnacharger kit for a 2003 H2 at a great price ($4295 and free shipping), but I am not willing to lose my factory warranty after bolting it on! Just the thought of a bad transfer case makes me cringe!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

I agree with Klaus--My Magnacharger is fantastic---the twin screw with an intercooler-- actually an aftercooler really performs and with the right tuning it runs smooth with great throttle response. More than one person has driven my H2 and find it hard to go back to the stock H2 HP--it is an entirely different vehicle.

However, I should not have bought the $200.00 warranty. ANY aftermarket performance part--any lift--any different tire size makes the warranty toast on the SC--and forget about engine or drivetrain issues with your dealer once it is on the H2.

Still-----I will SC my next H2 and roll the dice. It is worth the risk.

Cetrifugal SC's are gaining popularity due to their simplicity----I have seen no data to prove that they perform as well as the twin screw--intercooled. I have not yet done an analysis on the HP per dollar comparison since the cetrifugal chargers are quite a bit cheaper.

GM has at least endorsed the Magnacharger--forget any warranty claims with a centrifugals on the market. But...forget about the Magnacharger for GM claims as well.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Hummer Guru

H2mildandwild,

Did adding the supercharger stop the transmission from downshifting on every moderate grade while the cruise control is on?

I find the constant downshifts very annoying.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

The dealer I bought my H2 from is installing coolcharger system with full factory warranty
* Approximate rating - 450/horsepower 550/ ft.lbs.(@flywheel) torque vs. stock rating of 316/360!!!
http://www.dyno-proven.com/coolcharger.htm
http://www.nucar.com/inventory/detai...icle_id=H40122

I never drove it because I was afraid I would want it on mine.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

Actually, when installed by an authorized dealer, they come complete with a supplemental warranty that “mirrors” the factory coverage. I am not sure what that does to the factory warranty??
Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Klaus:

I ran my H2 about 150 miles in PA two weeks ago--lots of long, long inclines. On cruise control, I did not have one downshift. It was a pleasure to drive because the SC makes power when needed and no downshift occured for the entire run.

Even when I increased speed from say 70-75 MPH using the cruise control button, no downshift occured.

I am sure if I increased speed dramatically--impossible on the PA turnpike, it would eventually find the downshift point.

After the install, I changed my shift setpoints and shift pressure for normal acceleration and also when you do a WOT tromp. Reprograming the PCM is recommended beyond the SC reprograming provided with the kit.

NOTE:

I also have true dual exhaust, headers, high flow cats, air intake and a better MAF sensor---these may have helped with the "no downshift" on hills due to extra power but I am sure that a stock install will provide the same result you are looking for.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2mildandwild:
After the install, I changed my shift setpoints and shift pressure for normal acceleration and also when you do a WOT tromp. Reprograming the PCM is recommended. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you programming? Are you using the programmer that came with the supercharger?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

The SC comes with a Superchips programmer BUT only works for the SC reprogramming.

NOTE: The SC does not come with a boost guage. I spoke with the Magneson guys--it keeps the price of the kit down, plus there are so many guage choices.

It is important if you are going to go beyond the "stock" Magneson tune to have a boost guage, a fuel pressure guage and an exhaust temp guage. I also have an air to fuel ratio guage coming. Tuning a SC beyong its stock tune requires caution. Too high of a boost without proper fuel injectors, fuel flow, and other goodies can cause early detonation on pump gas and damage your engine. The stock set up with a boost guage is all that is needed unless you plan to race your H2. Mine is going down the 1/4 mile this month----want to see 14 second times and them edge toward high 13's with a stock bottom end engine.

I bought a Diablo "predator" from www.diablosport.com for all other programming. I could have sent the Superchips back for them to do a specific tune for about $150.00.

The Diablo lets me adjust the tune myself. I also changed tire size for my 38's, etc. More on this later---must go make some money to pay for my toys.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Hummer Messiah

M&W, if you have an issue with fuel fuel supply you can use the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump. While mine was set by LPE, they are adjustable to accomadate the larger injectors without replacing the stock pump.

Auto Meter Boost Gauge:
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Magnacharger today.

My dealer said he would install it for $600, which is a fair price. That gets me the ASE Certification, so I can buy the powertrain warranty, for whatever it might be worth.