H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Banned

DRTYF? (the imposter) is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
Sorry man, but I'll be completely honest with you. I work at a Hummer dealership, and if it was my call, I would absolutely not cover it either. You've got to understand something. When you put a supercharger on your engine, you are running a lot more horsepower and torque through the transmission. When they design these vehicles, they design the trans to be able to hold up to the horsepower for the enigne they are putting in. Horsepower breaks parts. Thats an old hot rodding rule. No exception here. Now other people here are right. We have seen 2-4 band failures, but the 3-4 clutch failure is more common than that.
Picture this in your mind. You're got your foot mashed to the floor, and you're taking off fast. When that trans that goes to shift into second, you've got a drum inside that trans spinning very fast, and now you've got a flimsy band that is suppossed to come out and hold this drum, while all of this horsepower and torque is still being applied to it. I can understand why it burned up.
Once again sorry, this is just the stuff you encounter when you start modifing your vehicle like this. The transmissions in these are good trans's, but in my opinion, maybe a little light duty for the size of this truck. When you apply all that horsepower, and possibly with some hard driving. That trans will be toast. Your best bet is either drive easier with the supercharger, have your trans rebuilt by a performance shop that may be able to make it more durable, or find a way to get a 4l80e trans put in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I have to agree.. I mean why should GM be responsible for YOUR mods? Duh..
Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maj.Drew:
Well here is the update...

Decided to keep my H2... just love it too much with the Supercharger. I did look at the Excursion Diesel though.. damn I wish the H2 had the diesel. Hey maybe I will look at the H1 Alpha.... $140K... not bad.. yeah right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A day does not go by that I wish I still owned my Ford Excursion diesel. But when I owned it, I wanted an H2. The feeling will pass, I hope.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SOCRATES:
So I would assume that a lift would compromise the suspension warrany of course, as well as the transmission? If so, I hope I don't have any tranny problems. Yikes! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have spoken to my dealership about superchargers, lifts, etc. and they will honor factory warranties, but it costs a considerable amount of money. (This was touched on earlier in this thread.) I am looking at about $8,000 USD for a 6" BulletProof suspension lift, about $16,000 USD for a 12" BulletProof suspension lift, and about $8,000 USD for a MagnaCharger supercharger, including headers, exhaust, and installion. I do not think the supercharger is a bad deal, if it maintains the factory warranty. (I spent a fortune to get the extended warranty to begin with, so I do not want to lose that.) From my observations, I am one of the poorest people in the forums here, but I still stand by "you get what you pay for," and am willing to wait longer in order to do it right.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Boar-Ral:

I don't know how it works in Canada, but I have seen deals in the U.S. where the initial warranty comes from the factory and the extension comes from a third party insurance company. If that is the case for you, it seems to me you should check both contracts because the third party wouldn't necessarily be bound by the factory's promise to cover a supercharged vehicle.

Hope this helps you avoid problems,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 06-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
Boar-Ral:

I don't know how it works in Canada, but I have seen deals in the U.S. where the initial warranty comes from the factory and the extension comes from a third party insurance company. If that is the case for you, it seems to me you should check both contracts because the third party wouldn't necessarily be bound by the factory's promise to cover a supercharged vehicle.

Hope this helps you avoid problems,

George SSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will discuss that with them before I proceed with any work. I believe that my extended warranty is actually honoured by General Motors, but I cannot be certain, as I have sold every vehicle I have owned before the extended warranty took effect. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:41 PM

H2TECH is off the scale

I have replaced or repaired numerous transmissions for the concern you describe. This is a common failure with this trans. We have installed 10-15 superchargers and these customers are not light on the pedal either. Some of these vehicles have close to 60k and we installed them back in 2003. I doubt the trans. failure was because of the supercharger. Im sure upgrading your trans. with a high quality rebuild will help ensure that the trans is more then capable of handling the added torque. I suppose if the dealer that installed it would like to keep you as a customer then they would look long term at the help they provide you now. If you bought the supercharger over the counter and the trans failed and then you took it to a dealer then I would understand their hesitation.