H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 AM

Rajin Cajun is off the scale

I know this debate has been going on forever Paper vs Gauze vs Foam (Feels like Im back at school Rock paper scissors ) Anyway, I found this video on another site and thought it was kind of neat. Nothing scientific but it does give a visual. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">mms://media.tenmagazines.com/49.asf</span> Sorry, I cant get the link to work. Just copy and paste it in your browser.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 AM

Rajin Cajun is off the scale

I know this debate has been going on forever Paper vs Gauze vs Foam (Feels like Im back at school Rock paper scissors ) Anyway, I found this video on another site and thought it was kind of neat. Nothing scientific but it does give a visual. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">mms://media.tenmagazines.com/49.asf</span> Sorry, I cant get the link to work. Just copy and paste it in your browser.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

My thing against non-paper filters is based upon information I have seen in engineering testing, and from a few reliable Internet sites.
That, plus my own experience with a few other guys at a Dyno in Smyrna TN, and the dynos we ran with K&N filters and with stock Delco filters with Corvettes. We say NO increase in HP with K&N versus new paper filters from Delco.
I am talking about straight replacement filters, not ram air type systems with K&N filters, since we did not study these systems, and the addition of a cool air ram system to a Vette does add HP.

I do know that engineering test I have seen do show that foam, sponge, etc., type filters DO allow more dirt into the system. However, if they get wet, they filter better than a paper filter.

The debate on the differences in filters will go on for as long as there is an engine that requires filtered air. Similar to debates on Ford versus Chevy versus Dodge trucks.

Everyone will do what they want to do, and that is great, and one reason why forums like this are so much fun.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 PM

shipbldr is off the scale

Read any of the results from ANYONE that does a lab analysis of their motor oil. (This is the NO BS route)

Check the amounts of silica that build up in the oil and compare trucks that run paper and foam air filters.

You'll make up your mind real fast one you understand what silica is, how it gets there, and what it does to your engine.

Then think about the amount of dust in the air all the time when you are off road.

Then think about the filters you find in commercial trucks, commercial off road equipment fleets, and military vehicles.

Think about the amounts of lab analysis these people do. Think about how much $$$ they would save with re-usable filters and fewer spare parts...

...then think about why they, the heaviest users with the most to gain, are not using them.

I'm running a paper filter....

Lab results are bitter reality.

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 PM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

Interestingly, I read that the True Flow traps dirt via "non-drying" oil. So does this count as a "wet" filter? They have an air intake and filter for the H3:

--- True Flow <laurie@trueflow.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your interest in True Flow. Yes, we
> have a system for the
> 2006 H3, Intake Part Number 10512 (includes foam
> filter) or Foam Filter Only
> 10207.
>
> Thank you.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Never heard of True Flow, so can't comment.
Shipbldr brought up something that I forgot to mention...oil analysis. There are companies that will analyze your oil and that will tell you how dirty it is for foreign particles, as well as how the total base number is for the oil life.
Serves two purposes, lets you know if your filter is filtering ok, and lets you know the estimated life left on your oil.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

we run a 200 truck fleet mostly DT's and Cats nothing but paper filters here , back in the day we used to beat them out blast with air whatever to clean em out . Not any more ,for over five years now just running filter minders to show restriction increase we get about 50,000 miles before noticable restriction and then just replace with new paper filter . for the H3 I will change mine about every 10k cheap protection . I do between 250 an 500 miles offroad in a 10k mile cycle .
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "