H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Having had superchargers on most of my vehicles, I had contemplated installing one on the H2. With the liftkit, gears and bigger tires, I HATE the way it runs at highway speeds.

It became even more apparent today when I drove to SC and had to drive up and down hills.

I CAN'T STAND IT ANY LONGER. Upshifts, downshifts, upshifts... I couldn't even maintain 70 mph.

Two questions for those with superchargers.

Forgetting off-roading for a moment, I'm more interested in how it performs on the highway.

so, my two questions are, for those of you that have a lift and bigger tires AND a supercharger, would you do it again and was it worth it?

Second question, did you have to drill and pin the crankshaft?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark,

I don't have a lift kit on my truck, but I did add a supercharger because of the downshifts that were occuring on every small hill on the interstate.

It is a completely different truck with the supercharger. It basically walks right up hills without drastic downshifts. On steeper hills, it will unlock the torque converter, but that is only a couple of hundred RPM.

The supercharger did not require the crankshaft to be pinned.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Mark,

I don't have a lift kit on my truck, but I did add a supercharger because of the downshifts that were occuring on every small hill on the interstate.

It is a completely different truck with the supercharger. It basically walks right up hills without drastic downshifts. On steeper hills, it will unlock the torque converter, but that is only a couple of hundred RPM.

The supercharger did not require the crankshaft to be pinned.

Klaus,

Thanks for the response. A few other questions if you don't mind.

Did you use a Maggie supercharger? If so, is it intercooled?

Also, though you don't have a liftkit, do you have larger tires? I'm running 38's and even though I put the 4.56 gears in it, I'm terribly disappointed with 70-80 mph driving...

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Warp Speed button on my console. When I press it going up a 9% hill, I can barely keep my tires on the pavement and have nearly caused myself whiplash.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

I like "magnacharger" for many reasons and it works well. The key I believe is setting up your rig first. Then when you place your order all the details will be given to Magnacharger. They program according to your setup. They also can do reprogramming too for changes. They offer different pulley sizes to add boost they say they can get it to (9), but I dont think you would want that because racing fuel is expensive and impractical....I would be more concerned with the xsmn than pinning the crank, both of which are not required. I decided to wait and see if the trans handles my style of driving. but so far so good. If you have questions Allen can help you at Magnacharger. Sounds like it will cure your symptoms, it did mine.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Hummer Guru

Mark,

Yes and yes. It is an intercooled Magnacharger. No to larger tires, I have the stock wheels and tires. In fact, the entire running gear of my truck is stock.

You can download the installation manual here:

http://www.magnacharger.com/pdf/manual-HummerH2.pdf
Old 04-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Hummer Guru

Thanks Ranger,

I'm used to superchargers and blowers (just received a Weiend supercharger for my 468 cu. in. big block in my S10), I had a Maggie on my Corvette. (non-intercooled)...

Personally, I wouldn't use Magnuson's programming. They tend to make the program "too safe". I'm not interested in making the maximum numbers but I don't want to lose 20 HP because of their safe programming. Magnuson's warranty sucks so I'd rather have a trusted, independent tuner do my tuning. (though I have no idea how you'd dyno-tune a 4WD vehicle)

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Mark,

Yes and yes. It is an intercooled Magnacharger. No to larger tires, I have the stock wheels and tires. In fact, the entire running gear of my truck is stock.

Wow, I can't imagine how well your truck runs. I was always impressed with how well a stock H2 moves so I think it'd be great with a sc.

I'm hoping that a sc will make up for the tire size... cause obviously gears helped but didn't do enough.

Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

stroke that 454 block! 1/4" on the crank, plus 2.50 on the rods, custom pistons, and a little grinding on the block at home can get you there! 496 C.I. is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Warp Speed!!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by H2 Ranger:
stroke that 454 block! 1/4" on the crank, plus 2.50 on the rods, custom pistons, and a little grinding on the block at home can get you there! 496 C.I. is the way to go.

THIS is the way to go!

Video
Old 04-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Hummer Guru

Or this: http://www.warpspeed.com/
Old 04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Ranger:

THIS is the way to go!

Video </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it just got a little texture
Old 04-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klaus:
Mark,

Wow, I can't imagine how well your truck runs. I was always impressed with how well a stock H2 moves so I think it'd be great with a sc.

I'm hoping that a sc will make up for the tire size... cause obviously gears helped but didn't do enough.

ya i agree OC the stock truck moved good then i put a exhaust and it lost all kinds of low end then i supercharged now it runs like a 8k lb sports car. i did tons of research and the maggie is what everyone says is best along with the guy that instaled mine. i left the stock tune cuzz it was enough for now but i would like a shift kit the stock shifting is way to slow! everyone seems to like nelson performance programs best.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have no idea why that post lumped my responce to you post hope you can make it out.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

I'LL TAKE THIS ONE!
Next Generation GM Motor
815 C.I.
1600 Dyno HP (W.O. Nitrous)
Dual Dominator Carbs

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/p...s/815-hemi.htm
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

O.C.To answer your question direcly.

I had a Hummer with a 6.5" lift and 38 X 15.5 tires.

The Mag. SC is DEFINATELY worth it. When crusing at 70 MPH on hills, the trans never downshifts. With cruise control, the SC makes boost when needed. It is a joy to drive.

I had the SC removed because I gave the Hummer to a race series. They will always find a way to blow it up! So, when delivering it to Nasville last weekend, the drive sucked---downshift, downshift, struggle, struggle------It was work to drive it w/o the SC.

You do not need to pin the crank.

PS. The engines shown are nice but do not have the abiltiy to use modern polution controls.

HGW is looking for a project vehicle. We can get a 415 or 427 Gen III block inside the H2 that will make it a rocket. You can go to 454 but then the SC will have problems due to the cubes. Are you interested???
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by HGW:
O.C.To answer your question direcly.

I had a Hummer with a 6.5" lift and 38 X 15.5 tires.

The Mag. SC is DEFINATELY worth it. When crusing at 70 MPH on hills, the trans never downshifts. With cruise control, the SC makes boost when needed. It is a joy to drive.

I had the SC removed because I gave the Hummer to a race series. They will always find a way to blow it up! So, when delivering it to Nasville last weekend, the drive sucked---downshift, downshift, struggle, struggle------It was work to drive it w/o the SC.

You do not need to pin the crank.

PS. The engines shown are nice but do not have the abiltiy to use modern polution controls.

HGW is looking for a project vehicle. We can get a 415 or 427 Gen III block inside the H2 that will make it a rocket. You can go to 454 but then the SC will have problems due to the cubes. Are you interested???

That's cool because as I get closer to wanting to do the sc install, I was going to have you do it anyway so....

Since the need for speed has always been in my blood, of course I'm interested. Everyone that knows me knows I can't leave anything stock. If I can make it faster, better, larger, lower, lol, it doesn't matter if it's a cell phone or my H2, it'll get modified.

As long as the block is a small block and it can pass emissions, I'm game.

If you're interested in my truck, let me know.

orangecrush03@alltel.net

Mark
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

THE LS7 Z06 Engine with proven emissions.....
BASE DATA (STOCK CONFIGURATION)
LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 with lightweight reciprocating components
505 horsepower (373 kw) at 6200 rpm
475 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) at 4800 rpm
7000 rpm redline
HGW IS SUPERB IN THIS REGARD.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

O.C. I have had my H2 supercharged for about 45,000 miles, and still love it. I tried everything else first, (programmer, headers, intake) but was still not satisfied with the power. The Magnacharger makes the H2 fun to drive. The only problem I had was I burned up my catalytic converters and the engine was always running hot. I changed the radiator to a Ron Davis Radiator and changed the catalytic converters to Magnaflow converters (which are twice the size of the stock converters) and solved all the problems. I am also running 4.56 gears. You will not be sorry when you finally bite the bullet and put it on your H2.