H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

The Ledge is off the scale
Default 05 H2 Lift gate- License Pocket Replacement

Someway, somehow, the top right hand corner of my rear license pocket was pried apart through vandalism or some other unexplained occurence. There was no evidence that a wedging tool was used to pry apart for there were no scratches on the top right corner of the chromed license lamp overhang piece nor were there any signs of paint scratches around the surface of the body along the edges of the license pocket. It appears it was pried apart through just fingertips.

Now is a good a time if any, to replace this part for it comes with the option without chrome and I do not want rain water to seap through to the interior of the lift gate. I found what I believe to be the replacement part(s) below:

https://www.hummer-parts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

Is there anyone out there that has done this replacement, please tell me how labor intensive this is? or what part(s) I may still require besides what is illustrated for parts #3 and #4? Would appreciate any help online or offline regarding the parts or procedure. Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: 05 H2 Lift gate- License Pocket Replacement

I just recieved my replacement rear license pocket (w/o chrome) which came with the lift gate latch handle afixed. While waiting for the replacment to arrive. in the interim I removed the abs interior lift gate panel which is held down by retaining clips and determined that all six bolt nuts that attach the license pocket are fairly accessible to remove with a socket wrench through the factory cut outs of the interior lift gate frame.

The help I am now still seeking is how to remove the control assy cable from the lift gate handle, which is attached to the existing license pocket. Does the end cable just pop out? or, does the end cable "nut" need to be unscrewed from the lift gate handle? Before fumbling with this final crucial step without doing something irreversible, help from any H2 techie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Switch out completed. The final step that I was most worried about turned out to be the easiest as the removal of the lift gate latch handle cable and reattachment back to the new license pocket was effortless. The handle needed to be extended in the open position which made the cable end easier to pop out and remove.

For those that want to go blingless with the rear license pocket, the chromeless part cost me $150 and the switchout turned out to be less effortless than first thought. Dealer quoted me close to $275 for the part and labor at $98/hr.

1) Remove rear interior lift gate assist strap screw, bolts for the 2 interior lift gate hooks, and the 2 retainer screws at bottom of the abs interior lift gate panel trim.

2) Remove the abs interior lift gate panel trim carefully with a padded wedge to pop out the retaining clips from the interior lift gate body frame.

3) Remove the license pocket with a socket wrench the 6 cap nuts that attach it to the lift gate body frame. Then carefully pry the license pocket away with fingertips as the remaining connections are 4 retaining clips attaching it to the lift gate body frame.

4) Remove the 2 license pocket lamp connections from the lamp sockets, then carefully extend the license pocket away from the opening of the body frame that is now there so that you can disconnect the latch control assy cable.

5) Remove the latch contol assy cable by extending the latch in the open position and popping out the cable end away from latch.

6) Replace all in reverse order.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt that your pocket was vandalized. Owning a bodyshop and having fixed my own pocket several times, I have found that the bullshiet two sided tape they use around the edges comes apart and the plastic studs will snap off if someone just drops the tailgate.

I have had to take mine apart 3-4 times to fix. If it breaks again, I'm replacing it.

Crappy design.

Mark
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
... I have found that the bullshiet two sided tape they use around the edges comes apart and the plastic studs will snap off if someone just drops the tailgate.

Mark

Well then that appears to be the explanation - that the constant and occasional occurence where the liftgate was shut down hard by me or the kids caused the separation of one of the bolts securing the license pocket. Because the plastic studs you mentioned are what contains the 6 metal bolts that jut out from the licensed pocket and connect to the body with the end caps nuts. The constant pressure between the plastic stud on the pocket housing the bolt, snapped away from the bolt.

Thanks for that explanation Mark. I have still yet to snap back into place the interior abs panel trim of the lift gate. I am going to go back and make sure the 6 end cap nuts are not overly tightened, and also start closing the lift gate more gently. Agreed, poor design.

Last edited by The Ledge : 08-03-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

HHummer is off the scale

My 04 goes in Friday for the same replacement. (upper right corner loose) It is a warranty item, so I assume they are aware that this is a problem.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ledge
Well then that appears to be the explanation - that the constant and occasional occurence where the liftgate was shut down hard by me or the kids caused the separation of one of the bolts securing the license pocket. Because the plastic studs you mentioned are what contains the 6 metal bolts that jut out from the licensed pocket and connect to the body with the end caps nuts. The constant pressure between the plastic stud on the pocket housing the bolt, snapped away from the bolt.

Thanks for that explanation Mark. I have still yet to snap back into place the interior abs panel trim of the lift gate. I am going to go back and make sure the 6 end cap nuts are not overly tightened, and also start closing the lift gate more gently. Agreed, poor design.

No problem. The only reason I even noticed is after fixing mine several times, I noticed when the liftgate slipped out of my hand and slammed (I always help it close) that the license pocket was loose again.

I don't see a fix for it other than replacing it but invariably if the liftgate is slammed, it'll break again.

I thought about looking for different shocks that would be more resistance to the closing of the liftgate.

Mark
Old 08-20-2006, 04:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

finbox is an unknown quantity at this point

top right coner for me to 2004.... dealer fixed it
Old 08-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had mine replace TWICE under warranty

Isn't the 06 pocket different from the 03-05 ones? I know it just says HUMMER on the top, and doesn't have the ABS Chrome top. Are these any better?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

BLOWNZO6 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbox
top right coner for me to 2004.... dealer fixed it

+1 FOR ME.. SAME THING.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Elcova Newbie

br549er is on a distinguished road

Me too. The clips get out of shape and need to be bent back out, or replaced. I thought someone had taken the plate back off before.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBob
I've had mine replace TWICE under warranty

Isn't the 06 pocket different from the 03-05 ones? I know it just says HUMMER on the top, and doesn't have the ABS Chrome top. Are these any better?
It also doesn't have lamps for the licence plate....Same design no lamps!