Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity about our government, its policies and the "slow" response to Hurricane Katrina, we should remember England's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words to his own people. During a recent interview, Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain was asked by one of the members of parliament why he believes so much in America... and does he think America is on the right track.

Blair's answer:
"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... and how many want out"

Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

lol so true. I want out but I cant find a better place! what gives?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

This is possibly one of the best defenses of America ever stated. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally posted by KenP:
In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity about our government, its policies and the "slow" response to Hurricane Katrina, we should remember England's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words to his own people. During a recent interview, Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain was asked by one of the members of parliament why he believes so much in America... and does he think America is on the right track.

Blair's answer:
"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... and how many want out"

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 04-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Steve - SanJose

Even the Brits love coming to the US .

But Blair's answer makes sense.

S.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Point well made by Mr. Blair.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Even most of the venomous @$$#*!3$ from radical parts of the world that want America to suffer want to live here. How many Americans do you see begging to go to the Middle East as opposed to the opposite? Unlike the Soviet/E. German wall to keep people from leaving the Warsaw Pact contries; we're in need of a wall to keep people out. Greatest nation in world history. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that we're the only nation/empire in world history with the power to colonize vastr areas of the world that has chosen not to do so by self restraint.
It was 1918, when there were only 7 democracies in the world, when we came to be the world's most powerful international force. We have been e3ver since. Now, there are over 120 democracies. No coincidence. This would not have happened if ANY other country was running the show - not France, Germany, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, China, Sudan, Botswana, etc ... The most obvious and impactful principal that is commonly shunned is American exceptionalism. The world is a far batter place, though not perfect, with us around.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

There are times when I want out, but there's no where to go!

Of course, we're not yet the longest running civilization in history, that honor goes to the Egyptians for having an empire that lasted 3,000 years.

I think it's always interesting to read articles on the collapse of societies. Tainter I think is one of the better accepted and well known.

"According to Tainter, societies become more complex as they try to solve problems. Social complexity can include differentiated social and economic roles, reliance on symbolic and abstract communication, and the existence of a class of information producers and analysts who are not involved in primary resource production. Such complexity requires a substantial "energy" subsidy (meaning resources, or other forms of wealth). When a society confronts a "problem," such as a shortage of or difficulty in gaining access to energy, it tends to create new layers of bureaucracy, infrastructure, or social class to address the challenge... In Tainter's view, while invasions, crop failures, disease or environmental degradation may be the apparent causes of societal collapse, the ultimate cause is diminishing returns on investments in social complexity "

I suppose the reason we have not become an Empire is because of the adundant resources available in our own domestic territories. And imperialism never really worked for anyone. My guess is it became too complicated to be worthwhile. It will be interesting to see how current energy issues will affect the future actions of world nations. Thankfully, we are not the major resource for oil. And any attempt to conquer any future ethanol or hydrogen production would probably result in infrastructure destruction, making the attempt futile.

Oh man, I can't believe I wrote all that. It must be late.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we have any P.J. Orourk readers here? He used to be a hippie who found conservativism. Several good books but i suggest "Give War a Chance " or Peace Kills". He talks in one of them how he was traveling inthe middle east (Lebenon I beleive) and he was kid napped and held ransom, The kid holding the AK was wearing levi's (US made at the time), Nike's, a US rock band t-shirt as he shouted how he hated the US. as they talked he asked the kid what he wanted to do... his answer go to the US and get and education (dentistery I think it was), meet an American girl, and own an American car... go figure. He has some great books all worth reading

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8