H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 PM

theadlee is off the scale

f5fstop,

Since your are the guy with all answers, Do you have some documentation demonstrates how to get at the stock XM Radio above the glove compartment. I removed the glove compartment door, but that doesn't get me all of the way there.

The reason I am asking is that I want to use the stock XM Radio antenna on my pioneer XM Radio receiver.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 PM

theadlee is off the scale

f5fstop,

Since your are the guy with all answers, Do you have some documentation demonstrates how to get at the stock XM Radio above the glove compartment. I removed the glove compartment door, but that doesn't get me all of the way there.

The reason I am asking is that I want to use the stock XM Radio antenna on my pioneer XM Radio receiver.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Remove the instrument panel (I/P) compartment door. (5 screws)
Remove the right I/P outer trim cover (cover on the end of the I/P). (Two pushpins under where the door closes, then it is held in place with some plastic retainers. Just grip and pull...after the two pushpins are removed.)
Unfold the service panel located above the I/P compartment door.
Remove the screws retaining the digital radio receiver to the I/P structure. Then remove receiver.
DO NOT PRY or slide the electrical lever release, just press it to release the large connector with two wires (I believe two wires).
For the other connector, remove the connector position securing device, then remove the connector.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 AM
comph

Default Re: XM Radio access??

Sorry for jumping in, but I have the same problem, and would appreciate some clarifications. By I/P compartment door, do you mean the glove compartment door? Is the service panel the airbag panel? How do you unfold it, by pressing from behind the I/P? I am sorry if these are simple questions, but I don't want to break anything. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) compartment door. (5 screws) - AKA; Glove box door
Remove the right I/P outer trim cover (cover on the end of the I/P - this is the cover the door closes against that is one the end of the I/P). (Two pushpins under where the door closes, then it is held in place with some plastic retainers. Just grip and pull...after the two pushpins are removed.)
Unfold the service panel located above the I/P compartment door. After the door is removed, look up and you will see a flap type panel, just fold it back IT IS NOT AN AIR BAGRemove the screws retaining the digital radio receiver to the I/P structure. Then remove receiver.
DO NOT PRY or slide the electrical lever release, just press it to release the large connector with two wires (I believe two wires).
For the other connector, remove the connector position securing device, then remove the connector.

You are not messing with the air bags, you are below the air bag. If you see any YELLOW connector do NOT touch or disconnect; that will be an air bag connector.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by comph
Sorry for jumping in, but I have the same problem, and would appreciate some clarifications. By I/P compartment door, do you mean the glove compartment door? Is the service panel the airbag panel? How do you unfold it, by pressing from behind the I/P? I am sorry if these are simple questions, but I don't want to break anything. Thanks.
Quote:
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) compartment door. (5 screws)
Remove the right I/P outer trim cover (cover on the end of the I/P). (Two pushpins under where the door closes, then it is held in place with some plastic retainers. Just grip and pull...after the two pushpins are removed.)
Unfold the service panel located above the I/P compartment door.
Remove the screws retaining the digital radio receiver to the I/P structure. Then remove receiver.

The answer was right above you. You're just excited to be here.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Wu Jen is on a distinguished road

I was also thinking of replacing my stock head unit with a Pioneer Z2 system, but is it compatable with the XM unit already built into my vehicle? I know sometimes manufactures like to use proprietary connectiors/signals and such. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu Jen
I was also thinking of replacing my stock head unit with a Pioneer Z2 system, but is it compatable with the XM unit already built into my vehicle? I know sometimes manufactures like to use proprietary connectiors/signals and such. Thanks again!
The Z1 required the Pioneer XM unit; can't speak for the Z2 since it is not out yet, but I would bet it will require a pioneer XM.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

FLA_H3 is on a distinguished road

I pulled the radio out and on the right side above the glove box was the XM Tuner. I just reached in and unpluged. Not sure if my 06 is different than any other model, but very simple especially in you are replacing the radio.

just my 2 cent.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Same, but you cannot remove the unit without removing the glove box and the covering flap.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

FLA_H3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Same, but you cannot remove the unit without removing the glove box and the covering flap.

You are right about that. Is there a market for the XM Tuner?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Elcova Rookie

rudy8266 is off the scale

I took out my XM tuner an easier way is to take down the glove box then right under the air bag there are two holes in the plastic and just pull it down and unbolt the xm tuner