H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-01-2002, 06:45 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Kim that is awesome...just found this post!!

Thanks for sharing your gadgets!!!

~amy

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:47 PM

m998 is off the scale

I have the rear receiver back-up camera. It cost $999 from the dealer when I got the H2. The monitor mounts adjacent to the rear view mirror (left side). At first I thought it was a novelty item until I almost backed into a small car (couldn’t see it at all) in a parking lot. Now I use it all the time.
When it gets wet out, the camera is all but useless, unfortunately.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:53 PM

LaLegend is off the scale

In response to m998's message and all the discussion on the the infamous "Back-up Camera" or "Rear-View Camera", I believe I have discovered another alternative to the built-in hitch set-up.

The attached pic shows a H2 with a camera installed in the roof of the rear compartment. I'm sure one could use the monitor he/she desires whether it be located next to the conventional rear-view mirror, inside the sun visor, etc.

Most importantly, it should however get around the rain issue, constantly disconnecting due to off-roading, and mud build-up on the lens.

Does anyone have this set-up where they could share the pros and the cons?

LaLegend
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2002, 05:05 PM

Michael James is off the scale

Has anyone seen a nightvision camera for the H2 ??
Old 12-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

This rear compartment roof object looks like a lamp, not a camera. The lense looks too large.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:22 AM

KAC is off the scale

Here's a link to the night vision camera from Raytheon. Here's a picture of it on the SUT. And, here it is on an H2.

Pretty cool.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series
Old 01-30-2003, 03:33 AM

smash is off the scale

I am picking one up but the camera will mounted to the top of the H2 so there is no glare and it will look like another light. I think that is the best way to go.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:34 PM

HeeHaw is off the scale

KIM, Do you regret installing the monitor in the sun visor? Looks akward to me. Just wondering. My screen is being mounted as I type and I shoud have the H2 back by noon CA time. I will post some pics.

My screen is being mounted near the passenger side console and is designed to be near the temp controls at about the same height.

Back to the orginal question, my screen is a Pioneer 6.5 inch and the one shown in the visor appears much smaller. Is your screen hard to see and what do you NOW think of the visor mount?

See ya

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
Old 03-24-2003, 03:13 PM

tgue is off the scale

i mounted mine on the dash in the crack right inbetween the two air vents....if you lok at where the seem is on that entire panel it looks great and both can veiw it and you have your eyes more on the raod that way
Old 03-24-2003, 05:13 PM

Tiger Bait is off the scale

I'm having my Alpine 7" nav monitor mounted as I type this. I am mounting on the dash, but near the driver's side A-pillar. My visibility was already hindered slightly by inspection stickers and the like, so it is right close and easy to see, just shift my eyes to the left of the gauge cluster. Also it is blocked from view from the rear by my shoulder, in case local law enforement has a problem with it's location.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:27 AM

KAC is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeeHaw:
KIM, Do you regret installing the monitor in the sun visor? Looks akward to me. Just wondering. My screen is being mounted as I type and I shoud have the H2 back by noon CA time. I will post some pics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't regret it at all. After having one mounted about where the factory stereo is on my previous vehicle, I much prefer the visor mount. With the audible directions, I don't need to see the map normally. With the voice recognition, I don't need to see the map to enter a destination. When I enter a new destination, I pull down the visor, enter it, move the visor back out of the way and then get on my way. If I do want to see it for some reason, I pull down the visor and move it all the way forward - I can see the screen without taking my eyes from the road. I will say that it would be a pain if it weren't a voice activated system and I had to access the screen to do anything. For example, on my old system, I had to hit okay to get past the lawyer screen every single time I started the car. On this system, it can be set to automatically okay out of the lawyer screen or you can simply say "okay". No need to access the screen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Back to the orginal question, my screen is a Pioneer 6.5 inch and the one shown in the visor appears much smaller. Is your screen hard to see and what do you NOW think of the visor mount?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine's a 6 inch screen so not significantly smaller. I don't have any problems seeing it.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series
Old 03-25-2003, 10:40 PM

HeeHaw is off the scale

Thanks for the feedback KIm.

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww