H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Euro trash. GM needs to get off its butt and challenge these records. Hell, Pewter Power could drive to the top of that hill. ... I don't remember seeing any Toerags up on Lion's Back or any where else in Moab.

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102309

Record Ascent: German explorer takes a Volkswagen Touareg to new heights
JONATHAN WONG
Posted Date: 5/6/05
Look out Land Rover, Volkswagen has moved into the off-road record book by reaching the highest elevation ever for a stock vehicle.

Last January German adventurer and veteran off-roader Rainer Zietlow set out to conquer Chile’s Ojos del Salado, the world’s tallest volcano. When it came time to choose a vehicle for the ascent, Zietlow sought the services of Volkswagen and its Touareg.

Zietlow’s decision to use a Touareg for his record-setting mountain climb may come as a surprise, because, after all, the Touareg is Volkswagen’s first and only SUV. However, Zietlow contends, “The Touareg has the best off-road and on-road capabilities of all the SUVs sold in Europe.”

Zietlow’s Touareg, an expedition model available only in Europe, came equipped with a roof rack, spotlights, underbody protective skid plates, locking rear differential and a winch, along with the base 3.2-liter
240-hp V6.

It was important for Zietlow that his vehicle be capable straight out of the box, because unlike other hillclimbers, he does not boost his vehicles with performance modifications. “My name is [synonymous] with using stock vehicles,” Zietlow says. “The Touareg we used is exactly what came from the factory, with no modifications.”

Zietlow’s reputation for expeditions in stock vehicles is why Mercedes-Benz hired him to pilot one of its M-Class SUVs across the grueling African continent.

Zietlow’s record-breaking journey in the Touareg began with a run through the Atacama Desert, one of the world’s driest areas, to the team’s base camp at 14,435 feet above the salt lake Laguna Santa Rosa. From there they tackled the slopes of the volcano, encountering giant roadblocks en route.

Many large, impassable boulders blocked the path and had to be moved with the help of the Touareg’s winch. The team navigated through the volcano’s relentless terrain that included snow, volcanic sands and rock-strewn trails reaching an 80 percent gradient.

Along with setting a new altitude record, a seismographic station was also established on Ojos del Salado—a primary goal of the expedition. The station makes it possible to register earthquakes above potential eruption hot spots in a region of Chile that is in constant danger of such activity.

On Jan. 29 both the Touareg’s onboard navigation system and the team’s altimeters read 19,950 feet, recognized by The Guinness Book of World Records as the highest elevation reached by a stock vehicle.

The trip to the summit took eight days to complete, but it took the team just three hours to get back down the mountain.

Already a Toyota Land Cruiser has gone higher. The truck, sporting a modified suspension giving it greater ground clearance, climbed to 20,859 feet. While the overall record is lost, Zietlow’s record for a vehicle in stock form remains intact.

Not one to rest on his laurels, Zietlow intends to try and break his own record one day. “If Volkswagen and my sponsors come back,” says Zietlow, “we can go another 35 meters.”
Old 05-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Zietlow’s decision to use a Touareg for his record-setting mountain climb may come as a surprise, because, after all, the Touareg is Volkswagen’s first and only SUV. However, Zietlow contends, “The Touareg has the best off-road and on-road capabilities <span class="ev_code_RED">of all the SUVs sold in Europe</span>." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically, H2's are not sold in Europe.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Zietlow’s decision to use a Touareg for his record-setting mountain climb may come as a surprise, because, after all, the Touareg is Volkswagen’s first and only SUV. However, Zietlow contends, “The Touareg has the best off-road and on-road capabilities <span class="ev_code_RED">of all the SUVs sold in Europe</span>." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically, H2's are not sold in Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I called them "euro-trash".
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:

Technically, H2's are not sold in Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I called them "euro-trash". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL-Euro-trash:My 4th most favorite internet term...

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 05-08-2005, 11:40 PM

oma is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The trip to the summit took eight days to complete, but it took the team just three hours to get back down the mountain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does that mean? How could it take 8 days up and 3 hours to get back? He probably rolled it at the top and kept rolling, all the way down. Reminds me of the saying - "**** rolls down hill".
Old 05-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, those toerags are incredible, I should get one LOL, oh...I do have one.

I did take my toerag out to the desert recently (same place I took my H2 a couple years ago) and did all the same stuff I did in my H2 without any problems at all. I haven't had any problems with the truck with exception to a peeling fan button for constantly pushing it otherwise I really like it. If I had the money I'd get the V10 diesel for sure, give it to Gale Banks and let him have his way with it.

Awesome truck, great off road ability and fun on the road too. My h1 would have broken down about half way up, I'm sure the 2 would do very well and the 3 just as good although I question GM engines at high altitude given I've had tremendous problems with them in the past.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Hummer Messiah

So meet us in Moab this fall. Theres a couple of little bumps I want you to follow us over.

Or we could have a fall Rubicon run!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Hummer Expert

You guys really should have got a Tour (egg).

http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev.../touareg/2005/

Better ground clearance, better water fording capability, BETTER TOWING CAPACITY, AND it did Hell's Revenge no problem all for 10k less with a better interior and far better on-road performance. Pay 58k and get the v10 diesel with 550lb. torque at 2k rpm and 0-60 in 7.5, give it to Banks and better that.

You guys are just snobby hummer owners LOL.

It's just a joke, I love hummers but I do like my tour (egg) quite a bit particularly for the on-road performance. I'm still gonna get the jeep rescue if those dipsh#ts produce it.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Hummer Messiah

I'd love to see the Toerag try the Escalator(my baby) or Potato Salad or the bump just to the right of Tip-Over Challenge.
Is there a good spot on the floorboard for drilling a hole for the catheter drain spout?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
I'd love to see the Toerag try the Escalator(my baby) or Potato Salad or the bump just to the right of Tip-Over Challenge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This kind of looks like Moab???
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Hummer Expert

Hmm, well if you want to see a toe (egg) do potato salad, I'd like to see an h2 do it. Where's the pic of that...hmmmmmmmmmm??????? Furthermore, I think a toe (jam) would do dump bump rather easily given what the obstacle is. Toyo pickups do it easily while Jeeps roll all day long.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buckeye Hummer:
Hmm, well if you want to see a toe (egg) do potato salad, I'd like to see an h2 do it. Where's the pic of that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Dennis!! Go Dennis!!! Go Dennis!!!!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Hummer Expert

um...ok...he's at the hard part but where's the pic where the h2 gets over the hard part?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Hummer Messiah

Here's Dump Bump. Doesn't look like much in this picture, but Alec stood his H2 nearly on end on it.

The problem with The Escalator is that it's so narrow and very steep on the approach, sort of like an alley. I scraped my brushguard getting lined up correctly. Hopefully Seth can post his video soon so the Truth can be seen.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

Brushguard scrape.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Hummer Expert

damn...this obstacle looks familiar...

And while there we saw gaggles of folks in their Jeeps who had come from far and wide to test them on the toughest rock-and-dirt courses--and who unlike us, had no air-conditioning, no CD players, no cupholders. Just Jeeps, purpose-built for enduring this kind of terrain. And yet we could go everywhere they could--and the Touareg would traverse some terrain they would roll their vehicles on if they dared try to tackle. It was nearly too easy to let the Touareg's gadgetry do the heavy lifting.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Hummer Expert

Dayaaaamn, check this package out. That looks like a winch and some serious underbody protection in a VW package.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Im game with an H3