H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

pulling into my driveway at 10mph the light came on in my dash(the car with the skid marks under it) and scrolling text says check stab system and 4wd. All of the dash switches controlling the locker 4wd and traction control are non-functional...wtf?

just turned over 2500 miles.

anyone else had the exact same dash light and the scrolling text? what wa the fix?

I callled the dealer 1.5hrs away and they said it probably threw a flase code and it needed to be cleared with the tech 2 programmer..1min of work for a 3 hr round trip drive....colsest Hummer dealer to me.

Last time it was the onstar module that was bad out of the box got it replaced and now all is well with it...now this I still love the truck but what a pia getting this stuff looked at being so far away.

anyone got a link to purchae a tech 2?

how much are they probably real pricy I'm sure.

I dis-connected the neg batt term to see if possibly it would clear the code and no luck.

let me know what others had done to fix it.

again traction control light on and the text says stab sys failure check 4wd....all related switches non-functional.....ughhhhh

thnx..
Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

SDH3 is off the scale

Had same problem message read stab/traction failed, service 4x4 ,and 4x lights were out and non-functional. Tech found encoder motor failed(called actuator assembly) located in transfer case module part # 89059551. Part took several days to get, but now all is well.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:54 AM

Interesting the optic sensor must be inside the motor. I do not believe the optic sensor can be ordered separately. There is only one part number for it postd above.

Thanks for the info. I had no problems this am on the way to work at all.

I am going to cancell my appt this am and save the trip and go down when the wife has the kids at her parents house in the future so I can roll down solo and have the rattle looked at the encoder motor and have the rear wash pump replaced at the same time.

M
Old 01-10-2006, 04:20 PM

Update:

I called the dealer parts dept and gae them the TCCM PN# and as is mentioned in an earlier post it is called an encoder motor(actuator assy)

basically the TCCM the large gearbox mounted on the side of the Tcase as he described it with a harness connection.

Well he said they usually stock them but they are on backorder Imagine That? probably replacing tons of them.

Well he totally hooked me up in the event it is the problem when I get to the dealer on Thursady am.

He did a spat? search and found on at another dealer in Jax Fla and he said it should be there tomorrow or firt thing thursday am so if this is the problem the dealer should have the part....he also said if it is not the problem he will put the part on the shelf.
The cost of the module is 205.00.

I am still going to check fo moisture on the harness connection, and remove the TCCM and re-install it tonight and still gte the code if there is one available at lunch.

Back when I have more info.

Thanks again for the part number it proved to be extreemly helpful. If this is the problem you savd me 3 hrs in the car geting to the dealer, I knew the dealer was a drive when I got the H3 but had no idea nor did I think I would have had to go there 4 times for the onstar and now this...I realize it is a first year production and expect some issues..hopefully this will be it for now.

I will also have them replace or check the rear washer pump recall I got.....I still have the cold start up rattle also but I cnat stay at the dealer all day plus it wont do it unless I sleep in the ruck in their lot over night.

I figure whe the rattle happens all the time I will bring it in then for now I have th TCCM to deal with which is a bigger fish...
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale

Same here to all the 4x4, stab sys failures warnings that come and go.

Trail humper: I have that same issue to with the doors open message and dome light staying on. After a few times of restarting the h3, it went away.

Oh yah baby...I have a nice list growing for my first servicing!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:49 PM

Yeah I hear ya if it does it on the way out of the parking lot for lunch I will hit the onstar and try and get a code.

I wonder with it being intermittent if the TCCM is on its way out...like I said this am no lights all functioning well then aftr the store stop back on and no buttons worked.

I am going to get the cde if possible and see if it points to the TCCM if it does I will call the dealer and see if they will order the new module PN 89059551 with the onstar code perhaps they will which will at least save me the return trip down there....

I might get under the truck at lunch and unplus it and reconnect it and check it for moisture or possible a loose connection....not getting my hopes up but its worth a shot...

thnx M
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

I had the same prob in Dec dealer reset computer no error this morning boom error drove 2 miles stop h3 restarted no errors. drove another 33 to work restarted tonight came most of the home stopped for dinner, restart errors, calling dealer in the morning to get parts on order thanks guys for all of the information
Old 01-11-2006, 01:54 AM

OK now I am confused and it looks like I had the parts guy order the wrong part.

I should have had him order the TCCM located under the dash next to the glove box?

Where exactly is it?

F5 what is the part number for this part? and cost?

Yeah it did the light think and the inoprability this am and has failed to do it again.

I tried to use the onstar diagnostic feature and everything came back fine althought everything was working at the time also so I guess for the cose to show its face the lights have to be on and the syste down.

I will check the connections this weekend. I am clear on the t-case end but am still fuzzy as to exactly where the TCCm is can you be more specific? can it be accessed under the dash w/o removal of anything? If so I will check for loose connections. For now if it all is well tomorrow I will cancel the thursday appt.

I might call the parts guy though and see if he has a TCCM in stock so if I ned to go they have that as well a part number on that piece would be helpful. I highly doubt the mechanical gear mech is bad. From what you say as far as the TCCM controlling power and function of the dash buttons that must be it and its either loose or failing slowly definately not gone totally or it would have stayed inoperable.

Thanks F5
Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Steve - SanJose

Interesting, now that I have 11000 miles and I've seen the message briefly once. I better start "driving like I rented it, with insurance of course" to see if the problem occurs more often.

S.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Steve - SanJose

On my way to work yesterday (in the middle of a 16 mile commute), the Failure Stab system message came on. By the time I got to work the message was gone and hasn't come back since. I do remember shifting to 3rd gear about a minute before the message came up. Otherwise I haven't noticed anything strange before or after. Should I be concerned?

S.

H3 white/ebony, lux pkg, auto, XM, sunroof, hitch, chrome pkg, chrome wheels, chrome side steps, Hitchcam, RW chrome locking gas cap cover, etc.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hummie3 is off the scale

I had the same problem last month with my H3. The dealer said it was an optic sensor inside the encoder motor. They ordered the part but it took about 2 1/2 weeks to receive the unit because it was on a "national back order". I had it installed last week and all if fine. I had the work done at the dealer Ken Batchelor HUMMER in San Antonio, TX
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UNOMYFLO:
Update:

I called the dealer parts dept and gae them the TCCM PN# and as is mentioned in an earlier post it is called an encoder motor(actuator assy)

basically the TCCM the large gearbox mounted on the side of the Tcase as he described it with a harness connection.

Well he said they usually stock them but they are on backorder Imagine That? probably replacing tons of them.

Well he totally hooked me up in the event it is the problem when I get to the dealer on Thursady am.

He did a spat? search and found on at another dealer in Jax Fla and he said it should be there tomorrow or firt thing thursday am so if this is the problem the dealer should have the part....he also said if it is not the problem he will put the part on the shelf.
The cost of the module is 205.00.

I am still going to check fo moisture on the harness connection, and remove the TCCM and re-install it tonight and still gte the code if there is one available at lunch.

Back when I have more info.

Thanks again for the part number it proved to be extreemly helpful. If this is the problem you savd me 3 hrs in the car geting to the dealer, I knew the dealer was a drive when I got the H3 but had no idea nor did I think I would have had to go there 4 times for the onstar and now this...I realize it is a first year production and expect some issues..hopefully this will be it for now.

I will also have them replace or check the rear washer pump recall I got.....I still have the cold start up rattle also but I cnat stay at the dealer all day plus it wont do it unless I sleep in the ruck in their lot over night.

I figure whe the rattle happens all the time I will bring it in then for now I have th TCCM to deal with which is a bigger fish... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The encoder motor and TCCM (tcase contorl module) are not one in the same. The encoder motor (actuator) is, like you say, a large motor with a gear set that rotates the transfer case shift détente lever shaft which moves the shift forks and range sleeve to obtain different modes/ranges. It is located on the rear of the Tcase, and is accessed easily with the Tcase shield removed.
This motor is operated by the Transfer Case Control Module, which is located in the end of the I/P, just next to the glove box. The TCCM monitors the buttons and when one is pushed, the TCCM turns on the LED for that switch, and supplies 12 volts to the encoder module, to move the shift lever shaft.
As I explained in my PM, the actuator is called an actuator in the parts end, while it is called an encoder motor in the service procedure end. I'm now pretty confident they are one in the same.
I would check the connectors at both the TCCM and the motor, and also look as far as possible to make sure there are no breaks in any of the wires.
In my PM, I gave you instructions on how to remove the I/P end panel and access the TCCM.
Any electrical component fault can be intermittent or complete. Intermittent conditions are caused many times by loose connectors, bad wires, etc. But they can be internal or due to a calibration under some cases depending on the module.
Send me a PM when you get the codes, this might help pinpoint the problem better.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Mine does the same but when I am doing som hard off-roading. It goes away after time like it fixes it self about 2 days later. I don't know what it is but never got it fixed and it still works ok.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:27 PM

Boogyman is off the scale

Uno I'm glad to hear they finally owned up to the problems. You need to post pics of your new brush guard. I hope this is the last of your 4 hour trips to the dealer for a long time. Thanks for posting all the numbers.

Enjoy your H3 again!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummie3 is off the scale

I guess I should have added that the dealer said, if the error code apears, park the H3 turn off the engine for about a 10 seconds and restart the engine. This will reset the sensor for the mean time. You may also get a 4WD error and notice that the indication lights on the 4WD buttons on the dash may not be on.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

SDH3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SDH3: This is a rewrite of my original post sorry about the confusion. I read the work order too fast, and f5stop is right.
Had same problem message read stab/traction failed, service 4x4 ,and 4x lights were out and non-functional. Tech found encoder motor failed(called actuator assembly)part # 89059551 located on transfer case. Transfer case module was inspected for pin damage-none found . Part took several days to get, but now all is well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

Count me among those with this problem. I just got the message tonight - 2500 miles. I'm going to try OnStar tomorrow morning and schedule a service appt. I will give them the heads up it might be the Encoder Motor or TCCM.

-Chris
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 PM

trail humper is off the scale

I haven't had that happen yet, but had the driver's display tell me that there was a door open when they were closed, dome light stayed on finally went off. After driving a few miles and three restarts, it worked properly, 13,xxx miles.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:45 PM

UPDATE:

I went to the dealer on sat left my house ate 5am gtot there at 7am sharp.

On the way down I got myself worked up thinking of what has transpired with this H3 to date. To prefix that I want to say I love this H3. I do realize it is a first year production run and there could be glitches and problems. And yes it is man made....

With that said here is a breakdown of what I have been through.

1) Onstar never worked from day 1 I know there is dealer prep where they have 1 person who is in charge of sitting in the vehicle who goes through all the functions and yes they are suppose to push the onstar button to make the initial connection. My feeling is they either failed to do this or they did and passed the truck on to me knowing it never worked.

The onstar deal took 3 trips down 2 hrs each way round trip for a re program of the module which never worked. The reason I didnt go for a 3rd useless trip was because I called onstar and raised hell...the whole time the tech said he knows the module is bad but onstar needed him and I to jump through more hoops. I called onstar myself and told them either they sent a new module to the dealer so the next time I go down it is fixed or I was having them remove all the onstar equipment period end of story.
They had the module that wed after a monday call and I got the module swaped that sat.
Problem fixed and working fine to date. My feeling is the dealer should have made that call.

2) The second trip down I told the service manager that I had a metal to metal tapping noise and that I hared that checking the torque of the belt tensioner and cleaning the pullys and replacing the serp belt was the fix. He told me in no uncertain terms that I am the first he has heard of it and that the truck would need to be left overnight due to the nnoise only happening when first started up in the am and only at that time. I let it go, leaving the vehicle was not an option for me due to the location and the 2 hr distance.

The resolution to this is below.

3) Recall of rear washer pump, willing to replace I just needed to get down there.

Resolution below

4) Stab light faliure check 4wd

Resolution below.

Ok back to the sat appt when I arrived I have to say I was pissed 6th trip down I wanted all of it fixed. I called the parts dept and orderd the encoder motor myself (which I later learned they pulled from the shelf and used on another customers truck..good thing I called or it wouldnt have been there sat when I arrived.
I made sure they had a belt and the washer pump and another encoder motor on the way...they told me someone dropped the ball...

What I have the real problem with is not that things happen but basicallly how the service manager handled me and my H3 on all problems.

On saturday I told him this what I wanted:
The pullys cleaned and the tensioner checked and the new serp belt installed. The washer pump changed out under warantee recall, the encoder motor changed out and the TCCM cleared and re-programmed...after a good chewin I had been up sice 5am and the 6th trip I was done..

I learned at that time they new it was the encoder motor all along and had replaced many..so tell me why did the serv manager tell me to bring it down to have it checked knowing what it was but telling me he had no idea so they could tell me it was the encoder motor and send me home only to come back again to have it replaced?

I also learned that they have replaced numerous belts due to coolant contaminents during the build process getting on the pullys and serp belt..same scenerio never head of it leave the truck overnight?

He said well look at the bright side all of your parts for everything are he Mr Morgan....I said do you know why????

I ORDERED THEM AND MADE SURE THEY WOULD BE HERE FOR TODAYS APPT....HE NEARLY ****.

I told him I wantd to speak to the owner he turned pale. He handed me a piece of paper with the owners name and said he would be in around 9am but I will probably be doen by then I said I will wait for him.

In the mean time they hunted me down after I had about 10 cigeretts in 30min. He told me the HUMMER manager was on his way in and coming straight to the service center to talk to me.
I guess they wanted me bypassed from the owner or both of there heads were going to roll...crafty arent they?

He pulled up in a tricked out H2 got out and we had a powwow next to his ride. I gave him the entire run down and said for a customer to be told they were the first to have a problem and the service manager well knowing they have done multiple fixes is MAJOR problem he agreed. I told him for me to have to order and baby sit the parts is total BS and that I was acting as my own service manager and the only reason they were here today is because I researched the problems and fixes (much thanks to this board and to F5Fstop)(mush praise my brother much praise) and basically I was totally pissed and done and that ths was my 6th trip down here in 3,000 miles for numerouse problems.

He said Immediatelly that yeah they are a new dealer and had things to work on yada yada whatever this is basic IMO.

He handed me the keys to his H2 and said take it home and he would personally drive my H3 to me at home. I said nah I will wait for my truck I just want it all fixed...he offered me a complimentary oil change,,,I said isnt the first one free anyway? BUSTED!

He said yes...I told him I am probably moe educated on the functionality and the innerworkings of this truck than the service manager...he agreed, and said we need people like you working here! I almost fell down.

He said what can we do to make you happy.

I said I want a brushguard installed for free, and that mabye it would cover all my gas expense for the 150+round trips made 6 times.

I though he was going to laugh at me but he sadi DONE.

Yup thats right I got the guard on that day and its nice with the grille I had painted black like the body color.

So in summary here is the code that was stored in the TCCM..C0276 and C0327 set determined internal fault in transfer case encoder motor, asper data provided by technical assistance in 2 like cases. Replaced transfer case encoder motor.

1 89059551

HUMMER REcal 05115 rear washer pump
Pump kit 10389565, inspected and replaced.

Cleaned pullys and found contaniments on belt and pullys replaced drive belt and cleaned pullys as per PIP3338D
belt pn is 12580826.

Guess what? no more metal to metal on cold start, and from sat at noon to today here on the east coast at 10:30am no Stab failure.

and yes the washer pump works although I will never use it.

Oil filter pn# is 89017342

At the bottom of the ticket on pg 2 it reads as follows:

Installed complimentary brush guard on front per _______ ________. I will leave the name out.

Here is some personal advice for all of you.
Do your homework and educate yourself on the truck and its inner working as best you can.
If you have trouble talk to a tec.......ie: F5Fstop they do the work, they know how many have come in, they usually know the fix.

I will keep you all posted of the progress on the encoder, they did tell me that GM initially told them to just pull the TCCM and swap it period, then it didnt fix the problem so GM put an indefinate backorder on the TCCM's to keep the service managers from ordering them. The new fix is to replace the encoder motor and to clear and re-program the TCCM.

Just so you all know I did call the onstar tec GM Goodwrence diagnostics and it was useless they cannot give you codes from the computer through that service at all, and what they told me was it was a problem with my antilock breaks??

Well in talking with th tec he told me what the stab light goes on due to the encoder motor failure it sets a code for the stab/4wd and the antilock breaks hence the 2 codes listed above.

All is well now and I am diggin my renewed H3 and brushguard, got the erl chanled and the truck washed and vacuuumed as well.

Thansk to all who provided information, and especially to F5 whome wouthout we would all be at a loss he is our bank of knowledge and an incredible resource because he works on our vehicles from the inside out....eberyone else I have dealt with with the exception of the tec works on them from the outside in....HUGE difference.....I told him his serv manager needs a schoolin as do the salesmen send them back with the tec 1 day a week and they would probably sell more H3's..

UNO
Old 01-11-2006, 02:07 AM

I am going to check the connections behind the glove box for the TCCM I bet the connections or molex plug is loose... makes good sense as F5 says.

worth a shot and seems easy to access so I will give it a shot. I will also check the molex plug at the tranny end as it could very well have condensation inside the weather proof plug or perhaps be loose in some way.

Thnx
M