H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sqeeeling brakes

Well, I guess it time to change my brakes. I got them sqeeling now! Have you guys changed both the rotors and pads to be done with it? Or, just the pads?
Also, if you did the brakes with the whole rotor change, did you stay with OEM or drilled slot?? Any help or suggestions would be great!! Thanks
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Hummer Professional

WHOSNEXT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sqeeeling brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2
Well, I guess it time to change my brakes. I got them sqeeling now! Have you guys changed both the rotors and pads to be done with it? Or, just the pads?
Also, if you did the brakes with the whole rotor change, did you stay with OEM or drilled slot?? Any help or suggestions would be great!! Thanks

JUST CHANGED PADS @ 42K ROTORS LOOKED FINE
Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Luv2Camp is on a distinguished road

Because of the life of the brake pads, I am going to change my rotors when I change the pads. 50,000 miles and still not anywhere near needing pads yet! Too much time in between I feel not to chaneg the rotor and just be done with it. I have no rotor warping so I do not see the need to change it to anything else but OE when I do it!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOSNEXT
JUST CHANGED PADS @ 42K ROTORS LOOKED FINE

42K and you changed the pads? Why? These pads go to around 100K.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

In my opinion if your brake pads are worn out and you dont have any brake pulsation or brake pull, just put in a set of pads if its your first brake job on the truck. Second time, same rule but you should measure rotor thickness to make sure they are still in min thickness spec. Once the new pads are in drive the truck up to about 35-40mph and do a good hard brake apply to a stop. Drive a couple miles to cool them and repeat. Do this 3 or 4 times to seat the new pads. This is called a burnishing procedure and will make the brakes stop the truck better and reduce squeal.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Never had this problem on the H2's, but when it happened on the Porsches or Merchedes, I'd just run em up to 100 and hit the brakes as hard as I could. Problem solved!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
In my opinion if your brake pads are worn out and you dont have any brake pulsation or brake pull, just put in a set of pads if its your first brake job on the truck. Second time, same rule but you should measure rotor thickness to make sure they are still in min thickness spec. Once the new pads are in drive the truck up to about 35-40mph and do a good hard brake apply to a stop. Drive a couple miles to cool them and repeat. Do this 3 or 4 times to seat the new pads. This is called a burnishing procedure and will make the brakes stop the truck better and reduce squeal.

yu.. first set of pads on my rig. I have 110K miles on them! Ill prolly go with OEM pads then..
I was going with the rule of thumb to change them all with rotors so I dont have to take them all apart again if rotors are wearing
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!