H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-11-2003, 02:12 PM

HappyJack is off the scale

Open the center console storage area compartment door. Take out the four screws that hold the black plastic storage bin in place. Pull the storage bin straight up and out, it will just slide past the compartment door hinge. Take out the four screws that hold the center console storage area compartment door hinge to the center console. This step is not absolutely necessary but may make dealing with the center console a little easier.

Three screws hold the center console end cap in place. One screw is on top and the other two screws are inside the compartment that is just under the rear seat radio controls. The end cap will pull away and you can disconnect the five wiring harness plugs. Be careful what the plugs that go to the rear seat heater control, a very small screwdriver can be used to lift the retainer while you pull out the plug.

The shift lever has an allen screw that needs to be loosened to remove the knob. Note that the allen screw is not set very tightly. To remove the cupholder tray you must grasp it firmly and pull it straight up. I used a screwdriver along the edge at the place where the three mounting tabs hold the cupholder tray in place. Be sure to put down thick tape or a rag to keep the screwdriver from scratching the console. As you can see in my picture the three red arrows show the locations of the cupholder tray mounting tabs. The other two pictures show what the bottom of the cupholder tray looks like and what the clips look like. My pinkie is just touching the tab on the bottom of the cupholder tray that slides into the slots wear the red arrows are. The metal clips are to be pushed onto those three tabs before the cupholder tray is put back in place. If you look closely at the metal tabs you will see that they each have four sets of opposing fingers. The outer to sets have sharp barbs that dig into the plastic tabs. If they are not taking a very good bite you can use a small pair of needle nose pliers and beed the barbs inward a little so they take it better bite into the plastic. Or you can just stop by the dealer and pick up new clips before you start this project. Please note in the picture where my pinkie is just touching the plastic tab, on the left side of the picture, there is a another plastic tab and metal clip shown. This you do not need to take apart. This holds the chromed trim piece to the cupholder tray. Anyway, it is gives a good idea what these clips look like and how they work. When I pulled my cupholder tray out from the console most of the clips fell down inside the console and did not stay on the plastic tabs.

To loosen the center console you now have to remove the bolts shown by the white arrows. If your goal is to get to the radio head unit in the dash then you do not really have to take the center console out. You can just slide it backward towards the rear of the truck about an inch. Now when you take the really long allen head bolts out of the center dash trim piece it can be taken completely off.

Good luck. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail.

Cheers

[ formerly known as wannabe and wannabeinit ]
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2003, 02:12 PM

Open the center console storage area compartment door. Take out the four screws that hold the black plastic storage bin in place. Pull the storage bin straight up and out, it will just slide past the compartment door hinge. Take out the four screws that hold the center console storage area compartment door hinge to the center console. This step is not absolutely necessary but may make dealing with the center console a little easier.

Three screws hold the center console end cap in place. One screw is on top and the other two screws are inside the compartment that is just under the rear seat radio controls. The end cap will pull away and you can disconnect the five wiring harness plugs. Be careful what the plugs that go to the rear seat heater control, a very small screwdriver can be used to lift the retainer while you pull out the plug.

The shift lever has an allen screw that needs to be loosened to remove the knob. Note that the allen screw is not set very tightly. To remove the cupholder tray you must grasp it firmly and pull it straight up. I used a screwdriver along the edge at the place where the three mounting tabs hold the cupholder tray in place. Be sure to put down thick tape or a rag to keep the screwdriver from scratching the console. As you can see in my picture the three red arrows show the locations of the cupholder tray mounting tabs. The other two pictures show what the bottom of the cupholder tray looks like and what the clips look like. My pinkie is just touching the tab on the bottom of the cupholder tray that slides into the slots wear the red arrows are. The metal clips are to be pushed onto those three tabs before the cupholder tray is put back in place. If you look closely at the metal tabs you will see that they each have four sets of opposing fingers. The outer to sets have sharp barbs that dig into the plastic tabs. If they are not taking a very good bite you can use a small pair of needle nose pliers and beed the barbs inward a little so they take it better bite into the plastic. Or you can just stop by the dealer and pick up new clips before you start this project. Please note in the picture where my pinkie is just touching the plastic tab, on the left side of the picture, there is a another plastic tab and metal clip shown. This you do not need to take apart. This holds the chromed trim piece to the cupholder tray. Anyway, it is gives a good idea what these clips look like and how they work. When I pulled my cupholder tray out from the console most of the clips fell down inside the console and did not stay on the plastic tabs.

To loosen the center console you now have to remove the bolts shown by the white arrows. If your goal is to get to the radio head unit in the dash then you do not really have to take the center console out. You can just slide it backward towards the rear of the truck about an inch. Now when you take the really long allen head bolts out of the center dash trim piece it can be taken completely off.

Good luck. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail.

Cheers

Old 09-11-2003, 02:13 PM

This is the pic of the clips.

Cheers

Attached Images

Old 09-11-2003, 02:14 PM

This is the bottom of the cupholder.

Cheers

Attached Images

Old 09-11-2003, 02:17 PM

This just shows the end of the console with the end cap off.

Cheers

Attached Images

Old 09-11-2003, 11:58 PM

unaslob is off the scale

thanks alot. this is a big help. interestingly, I live in the poconos, PA Lake Harmony to be exact.

Could you please elaborate on the removal of the shifter. I dont see an allen bolt anywhere obvious.

Also, you wouldnt happen to know the type of connection the AM/FM antenna uses to the back of the radio, coaxial, or the standard motorola PL-259? thanks alot , phil
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 09-12-2003, 12:44 AM

unaslob

Phil is right, I forgot, it is a Torx head screw that removed my shifter too.

Lake Harmony! I go to Jack Frost snowboarding several times a year.

I do not know about the antenna because I have not taken the radio out of mine yet. I plan to do that tomorrow. I just got my PAC interface back from PAC in the mail today.

PhilD

Yes, be very careful taking the tray out. The screwdriver is to be used carefully , as Phil says, this is plastic. The purpose of using a screwdriver is so you can apply the force right next to were the tabs are located. My tray did not come out easily at all!

My tray did not have any felt pads buffering it. When you put it back together, if you make sure the clips get a good bite on the plastic tabs it will snap in very tight and not rattle.

Cheers

Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

mwrbunny is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer H2 radio/center console removal procedure

Wow, this is helpful....as I will soon be doing this to install my new IPOD interface.
QUESTION: Once the center console is slid back a couple of inches, is there any trick to getting the dash face off? (any perpexing clips?) or is it just the two allen bolts at the top?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrbunny
Wow, this is helpful....as I will soon be doing this to install my new IPOD interface.
QUESTION: Once the center console is slid back a couple of inches, is there any trick to getting the dash face off? (any perpexing clips?) or is it just the two allen bolts at the top?
No perplexity. Just the bolts. It's pretty easy. But the tray clips can be a bitch. Get some extras.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
No perplexity. Just the bolts. It's pretty easy. But the tray clips can be a bitch. Get some extras.
X2 I have spares just in case I need them for anything. Those cupholder clips go flying.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice write up Happy Jack, maybe you could help out GM with their service manuals. One shortcut for ya if center console just needs to be slipped back for dash panel removal you can eliminate removing center console end cap, it will slide back with that part in place.