H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

LV_H2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ultimate iPod adaptor and 10Min install

Thanks for the info.

I spoke with A.I. today, and they confirmed: you need version 5.3 or higher. They do put a label on the unit showing the version, although it may not be visible until you open the package.

I agree with you, bargain hunting, and possibly ending up with an older firmware version, is NOT the way to go.

I have 2 units on the way with the latest firmware.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
2004 Victory Red LE H2 - Traded
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

We just installed a couple of these today @ local chevy dealer and they do work well. If you don't have xm, the readio will need to come out to access that plug. No video output on this unit.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 AM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakz
We just installed a couple of these today @ local chevy dealer and they do work well. If you don't have xm, the readio will need to come out to access that plug. No video output on this unit.

Video output for the IPOD video would be nice addition.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

Nice write up. I haven't checked out their web site yet, but do you know offhand if it would work with a Panasonic Z1 Nav unit?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

I just installed the Nucleus NC-X2i last night in my 2007 H2 (NAV/XM). Thanks to vlxjim, it was a breeze. It took me 15 minutes (as I was working in the garage at night).

Review:

1) The sound is perfect for the music, however, I am getting a lot of backround "white noise" when using Onstar. I will be calling AI today for advice.

2) The iPod is fully controllable via the NAV screen, but "scrolling" is a bit tedious as it is slower to scroll than on the native iPod. But again, fully functional!

3) The Nucleus unit that I got (sealed package) had instructions for installation, but no instructions for use. In doing some research, I realized that this is essentially the same unit at the Peripheral PXDPGMT and the website at www.peripheralelectronics.com had a downloadable instruction manual.

4) Controlling the unit via the NAV screen is a bit confusing, because you are using the six XM preset buttons (which may have labels of preset XM stations), but you are using them as Button #1/#2/#3/#4/#5/#6 and you need to memorize what function each button has. Having said that, it's not rocket science and once you memorize what each button does, you can fully control the ipod.

5) Best of all, it is a quick installation and no damage to the original wiring. Thus if you have a problem or don't like it, or a better solution comes along in the future, you will be able to uninstall or switch out in a breeze.

6) I did not use vlxjim's foam and wrap method. I was able to securely tuck the ipod adapter unit and wiring into the plastic housing BELOW the glovebox.

Thanks again vlxjim.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Correction:

The instructions for the Nucleus unit WERE included. They were in the package for the HARNESS (not the package with the actual unit).

I just found them.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

vlxjim is on a distinguished road

"Nice write up. I haven't checked out their web site yet, but do you know offhand if it would work with a Panasonic Z1 Nav unit?"

It will only work with OEM radios.

LV H2,

Congrats on the install I think that you may be the first confirmed install that used this post.

What iPod did you use? As I said before some iPod were faster than others. I was not going to leave my 60gig 5G video ipod in the H2. So I got a 30gig 5G video iPod for the H2 now and it is much faster than my older 15gig 3G iPod. The Nano was fast to but its only 4gig. There not as fast as the iPods controls but as fast if not faster than a cd changer. That was my goal to have music and nav at the same time. And the iPod was a better way to go over the cd changer. I may move the iPod to the center console so I can better use of the manual mode.

"The instructions for the Nucleus unit WERE included. They were in the package for the HARNESS (not the package with the actual unit)."

They include the instruction with the harness because the harness determines what car and radio you need instruction for.

Great find on the Peripheral PXDPGMT it looks to be the same as the X2i. A good second source.

Last edited by vlxjim : 03-02-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

I am using a 30Gig iPod that I have dedicated for use in the H2. I wonder if the "scroll speed" is related to the iPod capacity, or just the iPod used space.

I gather from the fact that you are going to move the iPod from glove box to center console that the on screen (NAV) scrolling is not exactly to your liking either. I will probably move to the center console as well. All in all though, a very good solution to those who want iPod integration on the H2.

I still do have the issue with increased "white noise" on the Onstar system. I spoke with A.I. today and he recommended tryng the extra harness piece included for those with CD changers or factory installed rear entertainment. This extra harness piece functions to reduct noise for those 2 circumstances. I will try it for the Onstar noise.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Is your 30 gig iPod a new 5G or the old style? It makes a difference. I?m fine with the speed of the Nav controls. I can tell you that the older firmware and the older iPod it was slow, with the new firmware the older iPod is faster and the newer iPods less than 1 1/2 years old are faster yet.

I would some times like to use the iPod controls, I do have about 8.5 gigs of music and 18gigs of videos and the iPod plugs in to my DVD rear ent. system. So I will be able to start and fast forward movies and look at the iPod display to.

The extra harness was for applications that had a CD changer.
But I was told that the extra harness would also help with the noise if I had any. So far I have no noise. Let me know if that extra harness helps out any. Also see if it lowers the sound quality of the iPod any. You might try to move the X2i around it could be picking up some interference from something close by. The data wire on these dam GM?s are not shielded.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

30 GB iPod is brand new.

I had the same idea of moving the iPod adapter around a bit to see if I could get rid of the Onstar interference. Maybe I will switch over to your foam and wrap technique

If not, I will try the extra harness adapter.

Take Care.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

hummer.dad is on a distinguished road

I'm real close to purchasing one of these. I have a 5g 60GB Ipod that is almost full of music. Will I be able to browse by artist fairly easily/quickly? Is there a delay between each artist? Just wondering how long it would take me to browse through 50 or so artists. Don't want to spend $200 if I can't easily select my music. I usually browse by artist and then pick from there. Any insight you guys can give me would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

It browses artist find at about 1/4 to 1/2 sec per click of the knob. You can still use the iPod controls as well which is faster you can zip through long list with the Ipod controls. And once you get there you can use the radio controls. Or you can do what I did which is make up four play list that split up artist like (Artist 0-H / Artist I-P) and so on. It makes it much easer to go through.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

hummer.dad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply. That is a good idea about creating playlists dividing the letters. I'm going to move forward and order one of these this week. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

I'm curious as to why you did not put install the unit in place of the CD changer? I have a usaSpec that plugs into the changer cable and brings the Ipod up on the nav screen as the CD Changer with 6 99 song play lists. Will this unit install in the changer position instead of messing with my XM?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

“I'm curious as to why you did not put install the unit in place of the CD changer? I have a usaSpec that plugs into the changer cable and brings the Ipod up on the nav screen as the CD Changer with 6 99 song play lists. Will this unit install in the changer position instead of messing with my XM?”

USASpec was the one that I first looked at but it did not offer the same advantage that the X2i offers. First anyone can install it and it only takes 10 min. Second you do not have to cut the stock wiring harness if you have stock XM. Third it does more than the USAspec there is no need for switches. The X2i gives you full Nav control of the iPod with the push of a button full front of your iPod control. There is NO LIMIT on the number or name of the play list and as many song as you what. I have 22 play list most with well over 100 songs and a few with over 1000 songs. And the X2i has no problem playing them, displaying the name of the play list, artist, song and track number. You can select the XM, Ipod or AUX input and the nav display show which mode your in. I can still use a CD changer as well.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Absolutely! A much better unit when it comes to functionality and no cutting/splicing of any wires. You can remove the unit in 5 minutes, or replace it in the future.

In fact, after installation of my unit, I was hearing more backround "white noise" using Onstar. I removed the unit, going back to the original configuration of the truck. Turns out my new H2 just has slightly more backround noise with Onstar than my 2004 or 2005 H2. It had nothing to do with the Nucleus unit. I have re-installed the Nucleus X2i.

I would like to move the location fron the glovebox to the center console, as this would allow you to use manual (control via the iPod) or automatic (control via the NAV screen) modes. I removed the center console insert, but I couldn't get the ipod adapter wire threaded through the rest of the center console easily. It can be done, I just didn't have a fish tape or other threading device handy and I was pressed for time.

In answer to hummer.dad, I think this is the best unit out there and the install and sound are great. I still find scrolling from the iPod to be a better interface than scrolling via the NAV screen. Even manually scrolling from the iPod beats fumbling around for the next CD, plus you can have your whole music library in the palm of your hand. Overall, I am very happy with the unit.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

Thanks guys, I was not knocking the unit or trying to start trouble? The unit I have from usaSpec required no cutting or splicing It came with a harness that plugged in line with the existing stereo harness, and a Coax runs from there to the usaspec adapter. In fact I can plug this cord into the adapter or CdChanger and the head unit does not know the difference? With my Ipod I push the CD button on the Touch Nav unit and my Ipod comes on. Do any of you know if this unit can be installed in the same way? i.e. in place of the CD Changer and retain all its features that are superior to the usaSpec unit? I'm going to call the manufacturer tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

I received my unit today from Logjam Electronics( i guess i can say the name), Install took me about 15 minutes and i find that it works great so far. I only had 10 minutes after install to play with it but the major issue i found is not with the unit but that I have so many songs it takes forever to scroll through them all. Somebody mentioned here earlier that it would be better to make playlists and I agree 100%. As far as the scroll speed that was mentioned earlier in the post I have no problem at all and scrolls just fine I used a 30gig video ipod. The sound is awesome and sounds better than the radio itself and I am definetly not a stereo person but this was simple plug and play and I found it was worth every penny so far to have all my songs at my fingertips and not have any wires or an adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter. Thanks for posting this as I am sure I would have never done this without your post.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

Congratulations on the install

I think the unit works great and sounds great too. I also agree on the scrolling, even though it is all up there on the NAV screen to see and to scroll through, the original iPod scrolling is better. (I guess that's why they sold a zillion iPods!).

I will be moving mine from glove box to center console so that I can scroll for albums on the iPod (in manual mode), then switch to auto mode a view/scroll from the Nav screen for minor scrolling between songs.

Thanks again to vlxjim for showing us the install.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded