H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-10-2003, 02:56 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
BTW, I certainly didn't mean any disrespect when I posted the part numbers and pricing from gmpartsdirect. Early adopters always have to pay a price...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None taken. I am satisfied with my purchase and if it helped out the rest of the gang here, that is great.

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

The only add-on I have is the hitch step. I think my Hummer looks just right, in fact I want to take off the brush guard and factory offroad lights, but I am just too lazy.

Black grill is the reverse of add-on, it deletes an extra color. I even painted the license plate screws black to get my ass all black color, too bad they don't have all black license plate. To get to that AS ONE look, I may paint my skip plate black too, Phil's black plate looks nice, that I think I can do. Clean it, prime it with spray primer, then spray paint it black. Hard to get to the low point, that I'll have to figure out an easier way.

I don't think I'll get the wheels black, not sure about that, I've seen some black rims on ricers, look sort of dirty and homemade. Plus I am cheap and lazy.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> in fact I want to take off the brush guard and factory offroad lights, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mac, If you ever get around to taking off the off road grill guard lights along with the wire harness, brackets and the switch, I might be interested in buying them from you. Unless you want to give them to me for X-mas.
Either way if you get around to taking them off let me know.

2003 Yellow H2, Lux Series, Air Suspension, Front Brush Guard, Rear Tail Lamp Guards, Helo Maxx 8 Chrome Rims, MC2 Chrome Billet Locking Fuel Door, MC2 Chrome Hood Handles, MC2 Chrome Hood Latches, Chrome Billet Hummer Logo Hitch Step
Old 12-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I am not so sure, I am wishy-washy on this guard and light look, they came with the Hummer. When I see a Hummer without them I always thought that looks clean. The guard and light do look macho. Do I want to be macho or clean? guess one can't be both?
When I switch the grill I must remove the guard and disconnect the lights. Maybe I try it without them for a few weeks. Surely can't ask you guys for artistic advise, you all have bad taste.

Spike, you got too much extra stuffs on your Hummer already. What do you want? 2 brush guards?
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2003, 01:26 AM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Well, I actually use my brush guard so it more of a utilitarian thing than a "macho" deal. But if it is macho to keep your headlights and grill from being smashed to bits, sign me up for "macho."

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com
Old 12-11-2003, 02:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Mac, your truck is going to look great with that grille installed. Well, almost, you do have little, funky blue DRL's staring at everybody.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 12-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Ken, Thanks for the generous compliment. I know I know and I know what you mean, don't you just LOVE them? what a nice touch. At the right angle, you can see some blue in my headlight too, double the pleasure. Once I get the black grill, that elegant touch of blue will stand out even more. Blue on black, a bit German look, don't you think so? Phil? Did I hear you all say "More pictures please!". I hear ya. Just one more, don't want you to get OD on too much beauty.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I ordered the black grill on 12/9, got it on 12/11. That is very fast. Excellent service. What a pleasure. Now we will see how many days it sits there until I get around to install it.
https://www.hummer-parts.com/product...roducts_id/463
Old 12-12-2003, 04:21 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I made some preliminary review of the Hummer grill connections and realized it is a pretty simple and straight forward operation to remove and install grill, and the disconnection of the factory offroad lights should be snappy since the hook ups look like modula plugs.

However, I am a bit puzzled by the brush guard connections. There seems to be only 2 connecting points I can see, both are located behind and under those square boxes on the guard. Seems rather weak supported at 2 points only.

1- Are those the only 2 connecting points to the vehicle?
2- Do I take off the guard leaving the receiving brackets(or plates) attached to the vehicle? if I do not put the guard back on, those 2 little plates will be sticking out a little, right under the grill.

I found the Hummer offroad lamp covers which I never used, once I have the black grill on, I will cover these offorad lamps, paint the skip plate, I basically will have it all black up front, with the exception of the head/DRL lamps.

Thanks for advise.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mac,

The grill guard is also connected to the hood behind your off-road lights. There are 2 arms that extend behind the grill and is accessible when you open the hood.

John
Old 12-12-2003, 08:00 PM

Patriot is off the scale

Paragon,

I think you are incorrect. The wrap around grill has the two "extra" support arms that go behind the grill.

Mac has the standard grill that uses only one connection point .

Mac, there are bolts behind the lower grill assemply which simply pulls off.

Once you pul off the lower grill assembly you will see the bolts that hold on the grill.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

The standard grill has 2 points connecting to the front, they are both located under those 2 square boxes on the lower central part of brush guard. From what I can see, should be easy, I estimate 1 to 2 hours job, including smoking breaks every 15 minutes. I am not very good merchanically speaking, except I can take apart and put together guns blindfolded in record speed.

I got it home from my office where it was shipped to. Either the grill is too long or the back of the Hummer is too short even with the back seats folded, but barely managed at 45 degrees. If the rain clears up tomorrow, I'll be working on it. It is beautiful, shiny black and flawless, light weight.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Mac, Its a brush guard brush is defined as sticks smaller then 1/2" diameter. If you want a "LOG" guard they have more connection points!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:02 AM

Patriot is off the scale

Mac,

You missed my point. By ONE connection point, I meant in one area...i.e. behind the lower grill. The wrap around model has two additional supports that attach from under the hood. You have to open the hood to get to them.

TO CLARIFY:
You should have 4 bolts behind the front lower grill that removes by gently pulling...
Old 12-13-2003, 01:41 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Hman, I decided to keep the brush guard on for manhood. In reality, I see it serves a purpose when small objects hit the grill area on or off road, the guard will protect the grill and maybe the hood too. That happened to me once on the freeway, a 2x4 fell off a truck and went straight into the right turning lamp, not in the Hummer but in a sedan.

Patriot, thanks. I'll take a look at it tomorrow daytime. Looks easy enough, if I have the right tools and if all the holes line up. I hate those DIY stuffs when the holes don't match up.

I am relatively excited about it. I think it will look great, a wise purchase. The shipping was super fast, 2 days.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

Darren is off the scale

Mac,

be sure to post some pictures as i'm considering doing the same on mine (I have identical brush guard / lights) and would love to see it on a similar vehicle.

thanks,

Darren
Old 12-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Hummers look much better without the brush guards, unfortunately, they are a must on the trail. Without the guard my front end would be torn up. Sometimes you just can't see your corners. Mac is probably right too, there are circumstances on pavement where they'll help.

Guys the colored grills are a must. The hummer was never meant to have a chrome grill, it just looks silly IMO. Black grill on black truck is fearless but I like them all. Everyone should post pics when they get their new grills and toss those old shiny ones.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I was out there for half a hour figuring this thing out.
1- The first I must do is to remove the plastic mesh (round holes) center cover, that's the piece between DRLs and under the grill.
2- It is held on by the 5 or more plastic clips.
3- I tried clamp on the clip to push it out, that didn't work.
4- I tried pull it out but fear I might break the plastic retaining clips.
5- To pull it, the hood is closed, 2nd person can't see the back of clips. If the hood is open where one can see the clip, you can't pull it.
6- So how do you pull that piece of plastic out? I can measure and mark the clip spots. Just pull?

a- I see the guard is bolted on by 2 big screws to each hood hinge, I can get to them if I remove the center plastic cover.
b- Offroad lights can be pulled in 1 second.
c- The grill is the easy part, held on by 4 screws.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:58 PM

Patriot is off the scale

Not to sound cross but CAN'T YOU READ??

I described it twice now...JUST PULL THE DAMN THING OFF!!

The front lower grill JUST PULLS OFF....GENTLY

I SAY AGAIN...IT JUST PULLS OFF.

I had mine off numerous times by JUST PULLING IT OFF!!!

I'd try JUST PULLING IT OFF....

OK?