H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Hummer Professional

pteam is on a distinguished road
Default putting HID lights into the DRL fog lamps slot

Hey guys I want to put HID lights into the DRL driving lights / fog lamps slot and make them so I can turn them on / off whenever I choose.

Has anybody put different bulbs in that slot? I know people have said if you put a larger watt bulb in there it can melt the lenses. You guys mean they melted just the glass covering in front, anything else? HIDs are supposted to be alot cooler, think this would be a problem? Is the only problem then that the glass cover is too close or something?

The bulb type in there is 3157 I believe, what do you guys think about putting a HID setup in there?
Supercharged Viper 800 HP Special Edition #49 of 50
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
08 H2, 22 in rims, 6 HID lights, 20 in TV with DVD
4 H2 limos 3 have lighted dance floors + ceilings, 1 has Zebra interior 24-26 passengers
H2 Limo 26 pass lighted dance floor (sold)
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

FirstClassLimos.net - H2 limos and party buses in OH & PA

my car collection

Last edited by pteam : 10-01-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

KingVinnie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: putting HID lights into the DRL fog lamps slot

Been thinking of doing that too. I had them on my dually in the fogs. The fogs on that truck are smaller than the H2 drl. Never had the slightest problem with heat or melting, they ran perfect. I forget the size I put on, h-something if I recall, lot smaller than the 9007s.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVinnie
Been thinking of doing that too. I had them on my dually in the fogs. The fogs on that truck are smaller than the H2 drl. Never had the slightest problem with heat or melting, they ran perfect. I forget the size I put on, h-something if I recall, lot smaller than the 9007s.

yea man those are sweet! Where did you buy them? What kind? Did you use the stock fog light assembly that was already on the truck and modify it to HID?

I just put HID into the 08 h2 but want to do somethign with the fogs:

Video: http://www.firstclasslimos.net/hid.wmv 2.5 mbs takes a few secs to load

Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
4 H2 limos 3 have lighted dance floors + ceilings, 1 has Zebra interior 24-26 passengers
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection
Old 10-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road

you have said, DRL and Fogs in the same paragraph, You do mean into the Day time running light holders, correct?

That would be cool
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucky
you have said, DRL and Fogs in the same paragraph, You do mean into the Day time running light holders, correct?

That would be cool

Yes HID into the Day time running light holders.
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection
Old 10-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
Hey guys I want to put HID lights into the DRL driving lights / fog lamps slot and make them so I can turn them on / off whenever I choose.

Has anybody put different bulbs in that slot? I know people have said if you put a larger watt bulb in there it can melt the lenses. You guys mean they melted just the glass covering in front, anything else? HIDs are supposted to be alot cooler, think this would be a problem? Is the only problem then that the glass cover is too close or something?

The bulb type in there is 3157 I believe, what do you guys think about putting a HID setup in there?
Don't do it!!! If you want HID's in the DRL holes, replace the whole thing! The bulb, housing, reflector and lens, NOT just the bulb. And I'm assuming these will be driving lights, because in fog, they will blind you and everyone else on the road.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower
Don't do it!!! If you want HID's in the DRL holes, replace the whole thing! The bulb, housing, reflector and lens, NOT just the bulb. And I'm assuming these will be driving lights, because in fog, they will blind you and everyone else on the road.

First I have my HID headlights adjusted so the driver side is lower and have not been flashed once by oncoming traffic. I have them adjusted so it wont hit traffic in the face.

Second, the HID DRL lights would hit even lower on the ground so they certainly wont blind anybody on the road.
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucky

No sh*t.

If you're thinking of actually replacing the DRL's with HID's then you'll need to remove the plastic valence and cut out the back side of the DRL light buckets. You'll then need to drill holes through the top of the bumper so the HID's can be properly secured.
I'd recommend going with these PIAAs.
PIAA 600HID
Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
First I have my HID headlights adjusted so the driver side is lower and have not been flashed once by oncoming traffic. I have them adjusted so it wont hit traffic in the face.

Second, the HID DRL lights would hit even lower on the ground so they certainly wont blind anybody on the road.
Not necessarily. The HID's you're thinking of using do NOT have the cut-off angle that the headlights do. So unless you aim them at a 45 degree angle to the ground I wouldn't recommend turning them on with on-coming traffic ahead of you.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
No sh*t.

If you're thinking of actually replacing the DRL's with HID's then you'll need to remove the plastic valence and cut out the back side of the DRL light buckets. You'll then need to drill holes through the top of the bumper so the HID's can be properly secured.
I'd recommend going with these PIAAs.
PIAA 600HID

I just don't think spending $1200 for those lights is worth the money when you can buy HID lights for $100 on ebay and with experience comparing them to other OEM HID lights theyre just as good. Those lights are WAY overpriced.
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection

Last edited by pteam : 10-01-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Hummer Professional

OK I just bought these for $20 to test them out. I want them to be similar in color to my HIDs:

I will let you guys know how they work out and take some pictures. If I don't like em that much I'll throw em on one of my limos and get something else. I think they should be real nice.

"Velocity LED Super Refractor bulbs have 18 forward firing LEDs and 6 radial firing on the bottom layer, this fills out the lens much better than standard forward firing LED bulbs. Color is simular to white/blue HID lighting found on many high-end cars. Will also work in all 3156 applications."
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection

Last edited by pteam : 10-01-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
First, I made no mention of your headlights whatsoever. Second, If you think HID's won't blind you and everyone else, then you have never used HID's in dense fog and you are fooling yourself. But you can do that. You're a big boy. Having driven in dense mountain fog often, I just thought I would share my experience. But rental vehicles need to look spiffy. Do whatever you like. Just don't expect to get anywhere in dense fog with HID"S for fog lights!

Last edited by tower : 10-01-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
First, I made no mention of your headlights whatsoever. Second, If you think HID's won't blind you and everyone else, then you have never used HID's in dense fog and you are fooling yourself. But you can do that. You're a big boy. Having driven in dense mountain fog often, I just thought I would share my experience. But rental vehicles need to look spiffy. Do whatever you like. Just don't expect to get anywhere in dense fog with HID"S for fog lights!

Ok I got ya. I bought the LEDs for the DRLs for 20$ cant go wrong we'll see how they are. If I were to get HIDs for the fog lights I would have to have a switch to turn them on and off, but I'm not gonna go that route just yet.
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Here is what Automotive Lighting Guru Daniel Stern says on the topic:

"Good (and legal) fog lamps produce white or Selective Yellow light, and use tungsten-halogen bulbs. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice."

Link

Last edited by tower : 10-02-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok I got ya. I bought the LEDs for the DRLs for 20$ cant go wrong we'll see how they are. If I were to get HIDs for the fog lights I would have to have a switch to turn them on and off, but I'm not gonna go that route just yet.
Great. Please post photos and let us know how it all works out.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

KingVinnie is on a distinguished road

I think hes going more for looks than fog function. Your right on hid fog lights in fog. It just turns it in to a blue wall. I use hids in my fog lights on my trucks: 1: just looks cool 2: really light up a dark back road at night, like a second set of hi-beams. We have no fog, mountains, or hell even hills here.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 007 is off the scale

pteam-

I've been looking to do the HID's in the headlights as well. Have any pics of the install and what company / vendor you went with?

I have looked at the projector style units, but don't like them. Not so much the cost, but I don't like the looks of them. It would have been nice if GM / Hummer would have done a factory HID setup. For this kind of money they should have.

I know people have said that it's "not true HID if it's not in a projector" but there are factory HID headlights out there that are not projectors. I just saw a couple on the way to work this morning.

One was in a Lincoln SUV and I don't recall the other one. Also, I think some of the previous Cadillac Escalades had a non-project headlight and used HID's in them.

Anyhow, I'd be interested to see how you did the install, and how the LED DRL's work out.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 007
pteam-

I've been looking to do the HID's in the headlights as well. Have any pics of the install and what company / vendor you went with?

I have looked at the projector style units, but don't like them. Not so much the cost, but I don't like the looks of them. It would have been nice if GM / Hummer would have done a factory HID setup. For this kind of money they should have.

I know people have said that it's "not true HID if it's not in a projector" but there are factory HID headlights out there that are not projectors. I just saw a couple on the way to work this morning.

One was in a Lincoln SUV and I don't recall the other one. Also, I think some of the previous Cadillac Escalades had a non-project headlight and used HID's in them.

Anyhow, I'd be interested to see how you did the install, and how the LED DRL's work out.

Thanks.

Yea I know the aftermarket HID with projectors give you that bug eyed look.

The kit I bought off ebay for $150 are true HID , both sides have ballasts, and they are for both HI and LOW beams heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...068456384&rd=1

Here are pictures:

Also I would like to add that because it doesnt have a projector doesnt mean its not HID, all the projector does is concentrate light in a certain area. Without the projectors you actually see more parts of the road and on the sides, for offroading this is way better. The lights are so bright that concentrating them straight ahead makes that area brighter than it needs to be, without the projector the small amount thats not dead on like a projector would be just lights up other parts of the road such as fog lights would or areas to the right and left. Also to adjust the headlights is simple, just use the factory headlight adjustment to move em up or down, can't really do that with projectors. For $1,000 less its surely the better pick. But I would like to add my 2004 Escalade limo with Factory HID from GM does not have projectors! See picture:

So this is the same setup that I have added to my h2.

Also here is a picture of my lambo and my porsche. The porsche I added aftermarket HID lights to also, different bulb types , but the same brand and bought from the same ebay seller.

You don't really notice a difference with projector like my lambo has and without like my h2 and porsche have.

Also here is a video that shows the lights, the color is amazing, it shows the high and low beams. Why would you buy a system for $1000 more, its a waste of money IMO.

Video: http://www.firstclasslimos.net/hid.wmv 2.5 mbs takes a few secs to load
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

my car collection
Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 AM
Banned

Here you can see my halogen (amber) foglights and my HID headlights (Link) I got the them all from the manufacturer in a combination purchase/barter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy-of-P4131987.jpg (53.0 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg P4132023.jpg (18.4 KB, 457 views)

Last edited by tower : 10-02-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 007 is off the scale

Looks nice. What 'K' value did you go with? 4300K or 6000K. I was thinking of going with the 4300K as they are the same as what comes from the factory on HID equipped vehicles.

If you get a moment, could you take some pics of how they are mounted? I'm just wondering where would be best to mount the ballast as the entire hood flips forward.