H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

That looks pretty slick, seems though in other posts on the subject that you might have a problem with things overheating down there as it looks like its not going to provide a lot of ventilation. F5 might be able to comment... is there anything down there that needs some air?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:43 PM

CampMaster is off the scale

So how do you keep the mud from packing in on top of the plate(s)?

or the UPC for that matter?

With the plate, don't you worry about heat build-up?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarthKarl:
The UCP is cheap insurance. If you hit a rock just right without the UCP, you'll be getting a tow and a big repair bill.

From what we heard it would be at least $1K if you had to have a tow truck come get you in Tellico. I am a lot happier spending less on the rocker rails and UCP than one tow would have cost me let alone the repair bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We'd have pulled you down the hill... for only $950!

I've seen situations that if you didn't have UCP, you'd have a real problem with damage. We're going to put something stronger and wider on Big Nasty just so we can ride along the rocks without worrying.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by DTHVLY:
Get the rock rails but don't waste the money on the UCP. Not only do you lose at least an inch of clerance but those are useless unless your going over really smooth rocks, otherwise there just going to get hungup on everything. Get a piece of 1/4" steel and have it cut to fit, it will give you total protection between the frame rails and you won't lose any clerance.
In your opinion.... and a bad one at that.

I guess all those H1s and H2s with ladder type UCPs are somehow different than a H3. We slide our UCPs on H2s across all kinds of rocks.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CampMaster:
If you get the underbody protection for the H3 you gain some protection for the underbody but lose an inch of clearance...

Is it really worth it at that point? The protection you seek makes it hard to get back to where you could use the protection...

If you want to wheel better in the back country, why would you limit yourself?

Get the rock rails but don't waste the money on the UCP. Not only do you lose at least an inch of clerance but those are useless unless your going over really smooth rocks, otherwise there just going to get hungup on everything. Get a piece of 1/4" steel and have it cut to fit, it will give you total protection between the frame rails and you won't lose any clerance.

Looks something like this
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>No way would I put that under my truck. Just the thought of servicing the truck with that cake pan on there bothers me.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by nmikes:
That looks pretty slick, seems though in other posts on the subject that you might have a problem with things overheating down there as it looks like its not going to provide a lot of ventilation. F5 might be able to comment... is there anything down there that needs some air?

Can't say. However, if I was to add something to the GM UCP unit, I would add some quarter steel to the existing UCP. Be a lot cheaper, and would not need to add at all points.
Just measure some of the squares where extra protection might be nice, have the metal cut in squares, lay under the vehicle, drill and attach.
I'm not worried about losing one inch (8.1 inches is still respectable , even with running stock 33's. (More ground clearance than my Vette.)
Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by KenP:
We'd have pulled you down the hill... for only $950!

Damn, if I had known that I wouldn't have gotten the UCP

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
I guess all those H1s and H2s with ladder type UCPs are somehow different than a H3. We slide our UCPs on H2s across all kinds of rocks.

The H3 UCP slides across rocks pretty good too

Well, 90+% of the time

Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Quote:
Just the thought of servicing the truck with that cake pan on there bothers me.

I think you could make some great mud cakes with that thing as well.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:33 PM

CampMaster is off the scale

I stopped off at the dealership nearly a month ago to get the price for the UPC... still waiting!

They just aren't very motivated up here in the PNW!

What are the UPC's going for? Can you order them factory direct and do the install yourself? Especially since the dealers don't want the sale!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by CampMaster:
What are the UPC's going for? Can you order them factory direct and do the install yourself?

GM part number: 12498474

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com has them for $294

It's a fairly easy bolt-on job that you can either do yourself or have a dealer do it for you.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
What are the UPC's going for? Can you order them factory direct and do the install yourself? Especially since the dealers don't want the sale!!!

I have no idea what your dealer is going to say but mine wanted $700+ for the UCP and $800+ for the rails plus install. Based on everything I have seen my dealer is way over priced on accessories though. You can get the UCP from GMPartsDirect.com for about $425 shipped if I remember correctly. Yes you can install yourself as show below in the hotel parking lot at Tellico

BTW, thanks again for the help guys.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthKarl:
GM part number: 12498474

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com has them for $294

It's a fairly easy bolt-on job that you can either do yourself or have a dealer do it for you.

While I was looking for that pic you posted damn it!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Campmaster-

I Got mine from H2parts.com for ~$300 Takes less than an hour to bolt on. Tell your dealer to GFthemselves.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

DTHVLY is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So how do you keep the mud from packing in on top of the plate(s)?

or the UPC for that matter?

With the plate, don't you worry about heat build-up?

I live in the desert so I have no worries about mud and on the extremly rare chance that I ever got in to some I would just drop the plates and hose them off.
I guess if you do a lot of mud wheeling and don't want to take the time to drop and clean them then these would not be the best thing to use, these are better for mostly rocks and crunchy stuff. The UCP would probably be better for mud not so good on rocks.
There is no problem with heat, it's not like its sealed up and I have had no problems wheeling in 120+ degree heat.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

DTHVLY is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
In your opinion.... and a bad one at that.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. The UCP is better than nothing but if given the choice would you rather drag a ladder across a bed of jagged rocks or a sheet of smooth steel? Obviously the sheet of steel is going to make it easier because it has nothing to get hung up on.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
The UCP would probably be better for mud not so good on rocks.

I can tell you from personal experience that the UCP works great on rocks. If your concern is the pointed rock sticking up, well when I (or my spotter) pick my line, I (he/she) make sure it is not going to be an issue. Is it the best possible protection for every situation, no way, but I wouldn't knock it. Everything has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

I've already got well over an 400 pounds worth of crap for off roading... after I get the hilift jack, winch with bumper, lifted and larger tires, couple jerry cans of fuel... I'm not sure how much a .25 inch plate of steel weighs, but I'm thinking its starting to really add up. Just how durable is this transmission... I don't remember asking if it had a oil cooler on it, but I'm thinking that and maybe a triple lock might not be a bad idea. I'd be entrested in know what any of you wizards out there think of this link...

http://www.partshp.com/Converters.htm
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DTHVLY:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CampMaster:
If you get the underbody protection for the H3 you gain some protection for the underbody but lose an inch of clearance...

Is it really worth it at that point? The protection you seek makes it hard to get back to where you could use the protection...

If you want to wheel better in the back country, why would you limit yourself?

Looks something like this
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>No way would I put that under my truck. Just the thought of servicing the truck with that cake pan on there bothers me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if the skids can't at least hold the vehicles weight w/o bending, they are worthless IMO. The stock bars work good enogh so far for me on my h2 but I have bent them twice (they suck to bend back because they are pretty strong). But, if they were not strong, my tcase or tranny would have been screwed (6400lbs pushing down on alum. tranny housing, sitting on a rock). If the plates are flimsy, they will just bend and still put pressure on your t-case/tranny, etc if you get high centerd. This will be expensive when the aluminum casing cracks!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:35 AM

Wile E. Coyote is off the scale

An inch or two makes no difference when you are on a serious trail. You can't measure it anyways. What will make a diffence is having some protection underneath because inevitably it's going to get hit. 1/4" steel plate is the way to go. It's going to weigh maybe around 200 lbs for the one previously discussed by someone else, however, if you have it segmented, it'll be easier to manage when doing the maintenances. Also you can place a jack at any spot and it'll lift the vehicle up. Very important when stuck on a trail, and you will one day. I have 1/4" armor on my old vehicle and I never regreted it. It will give you more confidence to try tougher courses without worrying about damages. Plus it's kind of fun watching bystanders scrinch at the grinding and scratching noise coming from the armor scraping on rocks and you are the only one that knows there is no damage.

One more thing, when you're on a serious trail, you'll be tilted and offbalanced. It's going to feel very awkward. On top of that, you may bounce a little bit too. Sometimes, you are going to wish that your vehicle wasn't lifted so high. Just my two cents worth.

Are there any vendors that are thinking about carrying 1/4" armor?