H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

DRZDuke is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission blown .... again :(

Bought my H2 in 2007 and I love it. I immediatly installed 6" FabTec Lift, 40" Toyos on 20" KMC's and of course a 2.0 Liter Kenne Bell Blower to up the power to drive the bigger rubber.
First tranny blew after about 1800 miles, had it rebuilt with stock components ... lasted 9 months/11000 miles \
Rebuilt again, this time using corvette servos and springs, aftermarket clutches with 9 steels and 9 fibers per pack as opposed to the stock 4 per, installed stage 2 shift kit to firm up the shifts.
This buildlasted until last week, about a year and a half and maybe 15000 miles.
To date I have spent over $5000 on transmission repairs and unfortunately can't afford to be doing this every year.

Obviously the 4L60E is way too wussy for our trucks, even when stock, so is there a way to mount up a stronger transmission to the 6.0L ? If so, what tranny would that be ?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Hummer Expert

ROUSHDEMON is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transmission blown .... again :(

Damn dude, do you wheel your truck with 40s? or are these all city miles?
20x12 black Rockstars & 35"s. missed.
2005 Black Mustang Roush Stage 1 #05-1058:
Showcar, Procharged 580HP, 20" Gianelle's, Prokit, 1/8 in 7.56secs.
2009 Silver Cadillac CTS Premium
White interior, lots of future mods.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

The transmission was the final straw for me as to why I did the duramax diesel install. I had the tranny rebuilt and did it right might I add. It's this simple, our H2's are not meant to tow with unless they are bone stock.

I only had 38's but still had a supercharger and 4.56 gears, the truck sucked on the highway for performance, gas mileage and towing ability.

So now, 8 months later, I should be getting my conversion back and with 600+ HP and 900+ ft.lbs of torque, if I have so much as a stutter when pulling a bullshiet enclosed trailer, I'll sell the damn thing.

Your biggest help will be gears, it helps keep the engine's rpms in a better range and thus not trashing trannies.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZDuke
Bought my H2 in 2007 and I love it. I immediatly installed 6" FabTec Lift, 40" Toyos on 20" KMC's and of course a 2.0 Liter Kenne Bell Blower to up the power to drive the bigger rubber.
First tranny blew after about 1800 miles, had it rebuilt with stock components ... lasted 9 months/11000 miles \
Rebuilt again, this time using corvette servos and springs, aftermarket clutches with 9 steels and 9 fibers per pack as opposed to the stock 4 per, installed stage 2 shift kit to firm up the shifts.
This buildlasted until last week, about a year and a half and maybe 15000 miles.
To date I have spent over $5000 on transmission repairs and unfortunately can't afford to be doing this every year.

Obviously the 4L60E is way too wussy for our trucks, even when stock, so is there a way to mount up a stronger transmission to the 6.0L ? If so, what tranny would that be ?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cesardajr is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Transmission blown .... again :(

Check out this company.
CKPerformance.com

i have not used them but i have read on different fourms that these are great trannys, they have no core charge, you get another complete ready to drop in tranny for the price. they have all the build specs on their website

seems like a good deal to me.

STAGE 1 4L60E/4L65E TRANSMISSION
The stage 1 4L60E/4L65E is built for engines producing up to 500 foot pounds of torque. $1899

STAGE 2 4L60E/4L65E TRANSMISSION
The stage 2 4L60E/4L65E is built for engines producing up to 700 foot pounds of torque. $2699

http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...SMISSIONS.html
37x12.50xR17 BFG Mud Terrain's
Ready Lift Front Leveling Kit 2 1/2"
Cognito Steering Support Kit
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
Fabtech Tie Rods
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Crown Performance Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Off Road Unlimited Black Diff Cover & RP Diff Fluid
Hypertech Power Programmer
True Flow Foam Air Filter

Last edited by Cesardajr : 10-05-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

DRZDuke is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the quick and very helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

Orange Crush, If you don't mind, I'd love to hear in more detail about the whole Duramax/Allison conversion, such as costs and where you are having it done etc ...
I can't really afford either option right now, being on disbility and a fixed income but I was thinking that when I can, the Duramax would be the way to go.Could you PM me with some info or e-mail me at dlaycock@shaw.ca

For now it looks like I'll have to park the ol' H2 for a while and drive my old beater or sell the beast as is to someone who can afford to fix it.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

edbrick is on a distinguished road

4l80e conversion would be the way to go. There was a shop on the net that was doing them. i will try to find it and i will post the link.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

DRZ,

I'll post more info. My H2 has been gone for 8 months getting the conversion. I'm supposed to get it back next week (12th or 13th)

I'll let you know more when I physically have the damn thing in my hands...lol.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZDuke
Thanks so much for the quick and very helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

Orange Crush, If you don't mind, I'd love to hear in more detail about the whole Duramax/Allison conversion, such as costs and where you are having it done etc ...
I can't really afford either option right now, being on disbility and a fixed income but I was thinking that when I can, the Duramax would be the way to go.Could you PM me with some info or e-mail me at dlaycock@shaw.ca

For now it looks like I'll have to park the ol' H2 for a while and drive my old beater or sell the beast as is to someone who can afford to fix it.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

I hear about these tranny issues all the time. I have had good luck with my 2003 but I did everything before it any issue happened or overheating occured. When I put the oversized cooler the temp never went above 150 (which is ideal) even in the highest heat of the south east. I have used and oversized Trans pan and the truck is supercharged. I also took out the flow of trans fluid thru the radiator as well. no external fans or gadgets everything has worked well. It could be that I have had good luck but I think one of the key things is keeping the temp under control so the fluid viscosity doesnt breakdown and loose its effectiveness. Glad not to have ever needed a new tranny in either of the trucks. O and one other thing I sometimes tow my 31 foot Boat as well.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

I know a guy who did a 4l80e conversion to his for the same exact reason as you. However he had to take it to a custom shop to have it done. He is located in Indianapolis. Where are you located?

When doing a 4l80e conversion you have to have a new center crossmember made for the truck and new driveshafts made.

The 4l65e is a good transmission. But its only rated to take like 385ft. lbs and roughly the same 385HP. In most rear wheel drive vehicles that are lighter in weight they work just fine and when you lay the power down the tires break loose first. But in a HUMMER with AWD something has got to slip and it takes alot more power than 385ft. lbs to break 4 tires loose from the ground under a 7K# truck.

If you dont lay the throttle down all the time a stock trans will do fine for a while. But if you like to hammer down it will fail in no time.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Badace is on a distinguished road

I have bigger 35's on my truck (wider). It sucks pulling a trailer. My 5.3l 01 z71 and my wifes cadillac escalade esv with a 6.0l pulls like crazy. My h2, eh. Lacks a lot. Any ideas on how to get it pulling? Its rated for more than 8klbs. If I pulled 8klbs with it, it would pull out a gun and shoot me in the face.