H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quickie From Moab

lol... morning roar. Sounds like morning w... nevermind.

I need to turn my stereo down. There is probably all kinds of noises I've never heard.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop

So far, I have only two complaints, one I can fix when I get home, the other I have to call engineering on. The door panels are rubbing against the Styrofoam safety foam pieces inside the door, and that squeaking sound of foam against plastic is enough to drive a person crazy at times. Only on the trails, ok on the highway.

The second problem is yesterday, the engine kept sounding like it was racing at all times. RPMs were in normal range, but the engine sounded strange. If anyone has ever noticed, when the engine is first started after sitting for a while, the engine has a racing sound for about 30 seconds, and that is the sound I was hearing. If my memory serves me correctly, that is due to the EVAP, but not sure at this time.

What kind of Rock Rails do you have? That rubbing/squeek noise started on mine after I put the Manik rock rails on because I think they are too close to the body. As for the howl, I would definetly blame the fan clutch engaging to suck more air through the radiator.

More PICS please!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Phil H. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
The second problem is yesterday, the engine kept sounding like it was racing at all times. RPMs were in normal range, but the engine sounded strange. If anyone has ever noticed, when the engine is first started after sitting for a while, the engine has a racing sound for about 30 seconds, and that is the sound I was hearing. If my memory serves me correctly, that is due to the EVAP, but not sure at this time.

Like Deserth3 said, it's the viscous fan clutch. The "racing" is your fan engaged.

Have a great time in Moab. If you get to the other side of the state, near Zion N.P., let me know. I'll take you to some great areas.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

PackerFever is off the scale

Well its good to know that the Shaffer Trail is open.

There was a washout rock slide a couple years ago and they said they were not going to repair it for a long time.
Yellow 06 H3 5 Speed ~ Luxury Off Road, Black and Chrome trim, Sunroof, Leather, XM Monsoon, Brushguard, Rail Steps, Yakima Pro 16, Mud Flaps, Hard Spare Tire Cover, pwdr coat fuel door.... .Riding like a Spirit on the Wind.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Got back last night. Trip went well, no breaks, not damage (some scratches and tires are as red as the rock in Moab).
The "morning roar" is not the fan. We researched this a few months ago, and it is actually coming from the back of the engine, and from what I can remember, it is due to the EVAP system. I will check when I get back to work tomorrow, and review my notes. Why it was happening that one day, is what I am concerned about; however, it was only that one day.
I will be posting a complete review of the trip, including the strange fuel mileage records. I say strange, but they are probably normal for the vehicle.

I have no rock rails, never purchased them, so in some places I was gambling, but the high ground clearance was great. Just as the Jeep that was in front of me for a while on Cache Valley trail. If someone travels this road, just look at all the scrapes in the boulders from his fuel tank.

If I was rock crawling like Neo and Bebe, rock rails would have been a requirement, but with no backup, and no rock rails, this was not even attempted on this trip.

The foam squeaking in the rear doors has all but gone away. A little squeaking now that I have returned to Michigan's fantastic roads , so in a few weeks I will be pulling the rear door panels off and seeing what I can do to fix this noise problem. There are types of non-itching tape and plastic sheathing that I might try and use between the foam and the door panel.

Now to go purchase a power washer and cut the grass before I have to purchase a tractor.

Let me add that while in Moab, I only saw two other H3s, and both were clean as heck. One H2 that I parked next too had the Moab Red Tire condition, so at least he or she was doing some off-roading. At Delicate Arch, we parked behind a beautiful all black H3 with chrome wheels. The owner's wife, who staid behind to watch her child while Hubby and kids climbed to Delicate Arch, asked me why the H3 was so filthy. I then asked if the H2 was ever off-roaded and she informed me, her husband did not want the vehicle taken on dirt roads, let alone a 4-wheel drive only road.
I will also mention that 99% of the Jeeps in Moab are clean, but most are rentals and why someone would rent a Jeep and not go off-road amazes me.

I did have a brand new Slate Blue H3 in Cortez CO, almost get in an accident looking at the filthy H3 that passed him while he was turning left.

Last edited by f5fstop : 07-09-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Phil H. is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Keep us updated on the "morning roar."